Recommended Front Brakes GS350 F-Sport

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-18, 03:44 PM
CBsLex
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Recommended Front Brakes GS350 F-Sport

Hi,

I am in need of replacing my front brakes. I have 48k miles on the car, the dealer told me i have 2mm in my fronts and need new brakes and rotors (since they are too worn to machine). Is this true? I can understand the brakes wearing down at near 50k miles (both front and back at 9mm at 25k miles, front at 2mm and rear at 8mm) but would rotors go out this fast too? Why cant they be machined? They dont shimmy when braking, no warping, etc...car is still smooth when i brake. FYI, the last 20k miles, was all highway and no hard braking, just normal braking..in Dallas.
So question is, is this normal, and if so, what brakes replacements do you recommend as i wont go back to dealer who quoted me $1k for just fronts? I was told Akebonos are good..and i like the idea of decreasing my brake dust (my biggest pet peeve with OE pads), and by some major unluckiness, if i have to replace rotors, any ideas for brand or type that last longer than 50k? Ive never replaced rotors this early, usually can push over 100k on my cars.

Any help or thoughts would be appreciated.
Old 08-13-18, 04:37 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,996 Likes on 1,418 Posts

What you are experiencing with worn brakes/rotors is very typical for the F-Sport. Multiple threads on the subject.

You own a Lexus, which is designed and engineered by some of the best in the world. The F-Sport brakes are big and stop the car great, but they don't last long and like most high-performance brakes they produce lots of brake dust. I guess you didn't know that...

If you can't, or don't want to, spend the money for OE brakes and rotors - and won't have it done by Lexus dealer - then your choice for aftermarket brake pads is what remains. And, there are many choices and opinions to mull through. Rotors not so much.
Old 08-13-18, 05:35 PM
CBsLex
Driver School Candidate

Hi
I get the supposedly best engineered, and I am well aware of brake dust. I have owned 4 bmws and 2 mercedes, from 3 series to 7 series m models and e class amg. So I know performance vehicles. And the brakes in those cars all lasted over 100k miles with no rotor issues. So if lexus is subpar for a gs fsport, then that's a problem for a vehicle that boasts quality and low maint.
I shouldn't have to replace rotors st 48k. These aren't performance compared to m brakes on a bmw. Which stop better, faster, harder And last longer.
if this is normal, then subpar materials are used as there are better braking systems out there. Maybe I'm just not as impressed.
and yes I can afford oe, without using a dealer who doesnt know better, I trust local shops specialize in toyo and lex, looking for better options.

Last edited by CBsLex; 08-13-18 at 06:05 PM.
The following users liked this post:
MOB561 (12-27-20)
Old 08-14-18, 10:40 AM
Lumber2014
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

CBs - I completely agree with you. I love my 2014 GS FSport but the brake issues, as reported in several threads, is a problem that Lexus hasn't seemed to address. I had a service rep tell me that I could expect to replace pads every 15 to 20k miles. That's nonsense. I had a Genesis before this Lexus and went 135k with original brakes and even then it was only turning the rotors and new pads. And I tracked the Genesis two days at 40k miles. I know the FSport has different and supposedly stronger brakes but if they are that soft and the rotors need replacing that soon, then it is a design flaw by Lexus.
The following users liked this post:
corpnupe85 (08-16-18)
Old 08-14-18, 11:09 AM
charley95
Pole Position

Received 530 Likes on 386 Posts

So far I have 4500 miles on my 18 GS 2 piece rotors. I've had no problems yet, knock on wood. I did replace the front with ceramic pads when I got the car new. Brake dust was the issue is why I replaced pads. Good luck with your brakes!
Old 08-14-18, 11:56 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,996 Likes on 1,418 Posts

Performance cars use larger brakes with brake pads made of a quicker-wearing composition for better braking, thus the pads simply will not last as long and invariably produce more brake dust. If you ever see a car manufacturer tout their car's short braking distance you can bet the brake pads won't last as long as the pads on [say] a Ford Focus. BMW, for example, is notorious for short braking distances and fast wearing pads, and an abundance of brake dust.

If you are okay with less stopping power with a greater stopping distance for your F-Sport then an aftermarket brake pad producing less dust could be your best choice. Aftermarket brake pads will likely help your two-piece rotors (with a 27mm minimum thickness) last longer too so you'll be able to resurface them instead of replace them. The quick brake pad and rotor wear, along with the extra brake dust on F-Sport models seems to be the biggest drawback - something it seems that takes many owners by complete surprise. It's kinda like a Ferrari 360 owner being surprised when he is told that an oil & filter change is $200, annual fluid changes is $1,000, major service (belts, bearings, seals) every 3-5 years is $3,200 and brake pads are $1,000.
Old 08-14-18, 12:26 PM
praetor
Racer

Received 132 Likes on 92 Posts

I find it hard to believe brake rotors will last 100K on any car, especially a high performance car. I drove my Camry 65K on original pads and rotors and wore them down to the metal. But if you truly believe the brakes on BMW/Mercedes is better and lasts longer, just get it from that manufacturer. BMW/Mercedes do not make their own brake parts. They are outsourced to the likes of ATE, Brembo, ...etc. Get those and see how long they last.
Old 08-14-18, 05:08 PM
CBsLex
Driver School Candidate

Hi all,

Dont mean to argue or beat a dead horse...mercedes...rear brakes replaced 2 times in 100k as they go out faster due to braking system. Front brakes, replaced at 110k 1st time (and still had 4mm to go). Both front and back rotors never touched...just resurfaced by authorized service centers. BMW 750li msport, 50k, still had 75% life on front pads and rotors not even phased. Rears no issues - and i tore into those cars like race cars. Several bmw 3-series...never replaced brakes as sold at over 40k miles, but with at least 7-8mm left.
My lex...baby it, drive it highway, no hard braking or quick stops.

Im going to put ceramics as it seems best choice. Only time and test will tell. But i guess take with grain of salt and move on, hmm maybe if i had a ferrari i know what i would be into as a true performance car is expected to have higher costs...not "sport" badged cars.

Last edited by CBsLex; 08-14-18 at 05:12 PM.
Old 08-16-18, 11:18 AM
DarthCholo
Pit Crew

Received 64 Likes on 34 Posts

I couldn't believe the amount of brake dust. Glad the rims on the white fsports are darker color. I'm coming from a 2011 535i where i was expecting alot of brake dust and didn't have nearly as much as the GS350. I always used OE pads and rotors too.

My pads and rotors are brand new. hopefully when pads fully wear out the rotors are still good for some aftermarket pads that dust less. I got Fsport for looks and not so much for any performance gains.
Old 08-16-18, 11:53 AM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 229 Likes on 173 Posts

I don't know what you all are doing. I just had my rotors replaced by Lexus at 33k under the LSB before my warranty is up (because free rotors so why not) but they said my rotors still had 40% life left after having already been machined once at 26k miles as part of CPO prep. Check my math but that seems like 60-70k out of the set of rotors no problem and all the vehicles I've ever owned I've never expected more life than that out of a set of rotors.

Last edited by np20412; 08-16-18 at 11:57 AM.
Old 08-16-18, 01:23 PM
CBsLex
Driver School Candidate

So update on my car. Pads were almost done. Rotors were non machinable (must have been once to L-Cert car when bought st 25k). So at 49k, new pads and rotors. But I'm doing akebonos with factory rotors due to time factor of ordering my own. Local shop already nearly complete with work. Due to time, I didn't have chance to shop rotors, so next round will be prepped. So sad they go out this fast but at least no more brake dust.
NP201412, I tried the LSB route and showed tech, but on test drive since it didnt click, they couldn't warranty out. Really sad about that, one time I want it to make noise, it doesnt. But I have l-cert warranty until dec 2022 so if it clicks with their factory rotor at least will cover, which is why I stuck with factory...hate th cost but at least lexus wont throw a fit about coverage on car.
Old 08-16-18, 03:24 PM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 229 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by CBsLex
So update on my car. Pads were almost done. Rotors were non machinable (must have been once to L-Cert car when bought st 25k). So at 49k, new pads and rotors. But I'm doing akebonos with factory rotors due to time factor of ordering my own. Local shop already nearly complete with work. Due to time, I didn't have chance to shop rotors, so next round will be prepped. So sad they go out this fast but at least no more brake dust.
NP201412, I tried the LSB route and showed tech, but on test drive since it didnt click, they couldn't warranty out. Really sad about that, one time I want it to make noise, it doesnt. But I have l-cert warranty until dec 2022 so if it clicks with their factory rotor at least will cover, which is why I stuck with factory...hate th cost but at least lexus wont throw a fit about coverage on car.
The LSB isn't covered under L-cert. It's only good until the factory warranty expires, which sounds like for you is in 2020. If it doesn't click by then it probably won't.
Old 08-16-18, 04:35 PM
DarthCholo
Pit Crew

Received 64 Likes on 34 Posts

I was shopping zimmerman rotors with akebono pads on my 535i but ended up selling before I had to replace. Will probably look at akebono pads when factory pads go out.
Old 08-16-18, 06:44 PM
harper7
Pit Crew

Received 65 Likes on 40 Posts

So even if they didn't honor the LSB,you still could have replaced them with the new LSB one piece rotors since you were buying new ones anyways. That's what I did.The original two piece ones ,I believe are the problem and why they wear out so fast.
I went through two sets before I switched to the new one piece ones and little to no wear now ,like a normal vehicle. Ridiculous to wear out pads and rotors every 25k miles .
I notice no difference in braking but then I don't track my car. I drive"spirited" sometimes but never enough to heat them up enough to notice brake fade. That's the purpose of two piece rotors and why race cars have them...dissipate heat.

Last edited by harper7; 08-20-18 at 09:07 AM.
Old 08-16-18, 06:48 PM
CBsLex
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the great idea...i didnt even think to ask about 1 piece. They are working on it tomorrow...ill ask first thing in the AM.