RC - 1st Gen (2015-present) Discussion about the new Lexus RC model

Remote Start Option -Enform Subscription Only-?!?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-18, 06:44 PM
JzRc
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Remote Start Option -Enform Subscription Only-?!?

Hey guys, happy 2016 Lexus RC 350 F-Sport owner here, hoping to get some info please. Is it true that in order for the remote starter option to work you need to have the Enform Remote subscription?!? (*****!!!).. Fine, I'll bite I'm in for the $80.00 a year, or so I though, then they sprung that in order for the remote start option to work I'll have to dish out another $80.00 for the Safety Connect option as well or vise versa?

Can someone please confirm that this is accurate? I'd also like to add that I'm not opposed to dishing out the $160.00, just kinda annoyed that this feature is only available under subscription.

Thank you kindly in advance,
Jz
Old 06-15-18, 07:12 AM
forcaport7
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Hey man,

Yea its really stupid that they make you sign up for something that should be included with what they consider to be a highly luxurious car. Like you I don't mind dishing out the $$$ for the feature, because it comes in handy.. but its a bit ridiculous that they cant include it when you buy the car. But yes you need the subscription for the feature to work, but the remote feature should only be $80.. you do not need the safety connect feature in order to use the remote... please see the link provided below for pricing, it clearly states the remote is $80.. And if anyone wants to chime in, I believe this feature is now free for all vehicles 2017 and newer?

https://www.lexus.com/enform/availability-pricing
The following users liked this post:
JzRc (06-15-18)
Old 06-15-18, 12:43 PM
scooky
Pit Crew

Received 49 Likes on 37 Posts

I got an RC350 18' in March.
Safety Connect 10 years (May continue after 10 years, who knows, long time from now)
Dynamic Nav 3 years (No pricing, don't know if I would pay yet)
Remote 1 year (Most likely pay for this. Will see after a year. Especially once it gets cold. I do like texts when I leave something open/unlocked)
Destination assist 1 year (Don't expect I'll ever use this or pay for this)
Service Connect (included with any/all of above)
JzRc (06-15-18)
Old 06-15-18, 12:51 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

sadly most manufacturers are going this subscription route.. in the long run it is cheaper to go aftermarket.
JzRc (06-15-18)
Old 06-15-18, 02:24 PM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 877 Likes on 661 Posts

forcaport7, update to your understanding of Lexus Enform, 2010 - 2017 Enform Safety Connect was
complimentary for 12 months and then $140/year if desired. Find the stolen car, find the crashed car,
more powerful phone than handheld, telematics system similar to $200/year OnStar. Last November
they lowered the price to $80/year on 2010 - 2017's. New for 2018 the Safety Connect is comp for 10 years.

Lexus Enform Remote Start (beginning in 2015) and Lexus Enform Destination Assist were add-on
features that also had their pricing reduced in Nov 2017 to $80/year each. Both depend on Safety
Connect for connectivity but can be had separately, together or not at all. What does that add up to?
2018's have one (1) year of RS & DA with the 10 years of SC so RS is $80/year if desired.
2017's have one year of RS & SC with one (1) year of SC for RS is $80 + $80 = $160/year if desired
Old 06-18-18, 12:53 PM
lexual_rc

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

Truly unfortunate that Lexus doesn't include at least the auto-start feature indefinitely and requires subscription renewals every year. I always end up getting it though.
Old 06-18-18, 01:33 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by suvi2k
Truly unfortunate that Lexus doesn't include at least the auto-start feature indefinitely and requires subscription renewals every year. I always end up getting it though.
which is why almost all car makers have gone to subscriptions for these services.. it's not just Lexus, because people want the features and will pay for it.. for the $160 a year it costs you can get an aftermarket unit and recoup the cost of it in 2-3 years: avg. cost is about $450 installed with the vehicle specific modules needed.

https://www.caraudionow.com/best-remote-car-start/

most if not all have apps to go with them with a subscription as well, but not required or needed, in addition they can all be integrated with your OEM fob with an add on module.
Old 06-18-18, 07:28 PM
JzRc
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Right on mjeds, some smart guy up top is getting a huge bonus after that bright ideal but on the end there's already a smarter guy figuring out how to hack that bull****..
Old 06-19-18, 03:15 AM
647TTA
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I am disappointed with their decision to have an ongoing charge for this feature as well. I didn't realize it until after I purchased the RCF and no, it wouldn't have effected my purchase decision. It just feels like a cash grab after paying almost $80k for car. It is free on my Honda Ridgeline and Acura RLX considering the Ridgeline is less than half the price of the RCF.
Old 06-19-18, 06:51 AM
scooky
Pit Crew

Received 49 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by 647TTA
I am disappointed with their decision to have an ongoing charge for this feature as well. I didn't realize it until after I purchased the RCF and no, it wouldn't have effected my purchase decision. It just feels like a cash grab after paying almost $80k for car. It is free on my Honda Ridgeline and Acura RLX considering the Ridgeline is less than half the price of the RCF.
Is it really the same feature. I'm not trying to stir up trouble, I honestly don't know how those work.

If these other systems are Radio Frequency fob based, then they have limited range and line of sight limitations. Still cool, but not quite the same thing. RF doesn't have ongoing costs after install.
With Lexus remote, I can start warm up/cool off my car from my bathroom or office. Plus I get notifications if I forgot to lock or close a sunroof etc. Can lock from miles away. I expect this uses cell networks. These cost money for ongoing usage.
The Lexus also has an RF remote start option. I know I've done it with both the fob and the app. I've read you need to have the Remote subscription to get it setup. I'm unclear if you require the remote subscription ongoing for that to continue to work. I assume so, but don't know. That would be disappointing and seemingly unnecessary from an ongoing cost perspective. Other than to upsell customers into a plan that has a bunch of features they wouldn't have paid for otherwise.

So, I wonder if these are apples to apples comparisons. Maybe they are, I don't know how the other ones work.

fwiw: I'm also not thrilled I need to pay a subscription. I was initially put off by it, like many people. But, it does make some sense. They have ongoing costs will cell network. Having said that, I'm sure they are making a profit as well.
Old 06-19-18, 05:53 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by scooky
Is it really the same feature. I'm not trying to stir up trouble, I honestly don't know how those work.

If these other systems are Radio Frequency fob based, then they have limited range and line of sight limitations. Still cool, but not quite the same thing. RF doesn't have ongoing costs after install.
With Lexus remote, I can start warm up/cool off my car from my bathroom or office. Plus I get notifications if I forgot to lock or close a sunroof etc. Can lock from miles away. I expect this uses cell networks. These cost money for ongoing usage.
The Lexus also has an RF remote start option. I know I've done it with both the fob and the app. I've read you need to have the Remote subscription to get it setup. I'm unclear if you require the remote subscription ongoing for that to continue to work. I assume so, but don't know. That would be disappointing and seemingly unnecessary from an ongoing cost perspective. Other than to upsell customers into a plan that has a bunch of features they wouldn't have paid for otherwise.

So, I wonder if these are apples to apples comparisons. Maybe they are, I don't know how the other ones work.

fwiw: I'm also not thrilled I need to pay a subscription. I was initially put off by it, like many people. But, it does make some sense. They have ongoing costs will cell network. Having said that, I'm sure they are making a profit as well.

fob remote start will stop working if you stop the subscription.