LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Rare find - But not sure if it's the one for me

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-18, 06:54 PM
Mbbarron
Intermediate

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Rare find - But not sure if it's the one for me

Been searching for a 2013/2014 SWB AWD in very particular color combinations for several months. Was just hoping to have ML and ideally Semi-aniline but was almost giving up on both of those considering how long this search has been (nearly 6 months already). But I have a strict budget (low 30's) which puts me barely in the range with higher miles.

Came across a 2013 SWB AWD in Matador Red with parchment interior (which I happen to like), with ML, semi-aniline, 19" wheels, LED headlamps, ULTRA-luxury pkg, and air suspension. 86K miles and in my price range. At a Lexus dealer, one-owner, clean carfax. Not stellar service records, but not bad either. Nothing much done. I am NOT planning to buy an extended warranty. I was avoiding the air suspension because of the eventually costly and very likely repair. I have a good indy shop that I use regularly, but I figure this repair will still cost me at least $2K, right? Feel like this one is too good a find to pass up but it doesn't really check the boxes of what I was looking for. Not sure I place much value in the extras for me personally. I'm sure they would be great but don't know how much use they would get. Additional options that I'd really like is the LKA or DRCC but I don't think this has either of those. Opinions please! I know the Ultra luxury packages are a rare find, although I think most people looking for those might want an LWB or the red/parchment interior might not be as desirable.
Old 04-23-18, 06:57 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,522 Likes on 1,820 Posts

If it has the ultra package, it will have DRCC at least, and probably LKA.

Personally, I wouldn't worry too much about the air suspension, and the car drives notably nicer with it.

If you like the colors and the price is right, I would buy it.
Old 04-23-18, 07:17 PM
DerrickM
Advanced

Received 131 Likes on 111 Posts

I would buy it! I have an AWD with the air suspension and I love it--gives you two extra selectable driving modes, at least on the '15. Is it at the same dealer that serviced it?

Edit: just looked up what's in the Ultra Luxury package. I would definitely buy it. http://www.lexus.com/documents/broch...S-Brochure.pdf

ULTRA LUXURY PACKAGE (standard on LSh) Four-zone climate control, including rear overhead ducts Four-zone Climate Concierge with climate-comfort front and outboard rear seats Power rear sunshade (standard on LS LWB) Power rear-door sunshades Power-adjustable outboard rear seats with memory, two-way power lumbar support and lumbar massage Power-adjustable outboard rear butterfly headrests Wood-trimmed climate and audio controls in rear-center armrest Rear-seat Air Purifier Rear-seat cool box (excluding LSh) Power trunk open/close (standard on LS LWB) Rear seat-mounted side airbags (SRS)17

Last edited by DerrickM; 04-23-18 at 07:21 PM. Reason: add link
Old 04-23-18, 08:38 PM
Luscombe8A
Pit Crew

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Michelle,

I would go for this one. It has most of the options you are looking for. The two or three it does not have seem to be fairly rare me thinks. I too ended up with an air suspension, not on my preferred list and after driving it for about 1,000 miles, I am glad I got it. With and indy shop, you have options if and when the system needs attention. One benefit of the air is that it is self leveling when car is loaded with people or goods. I get the hype now.

I was spending 8-10 plus hours per week looking until I found one that met most of my criteria. I am finding lots of things to do with the extra time I have now . Plus enjoying the ride/drive to work and definitely the ML audio.
Old 04-24-18, 09:38 AM
Mbbarron
Intermediate

And now to complicate things more, the car that my husband had his on eye for me, just dropped dramatically in price. Just over $30K for an L-certified LS with 55K miles, with new Michelin 18" tires, ML and semi-aniline. But it's RWD. And I really, really want AWD. My husband is pushing the L-certification. I know many people here don't put much value in the L-certification but I do have to say that this car is a good price/value. I'm kinda drawn to the Red loaded with that Ultra luxury that I don't need. It doesn't have the DRCC or LKA. It's going to be hard to convince my husband that it's not going to cost much more in the long run to go for the Red one.
Old 04-24-18, 10:01 AM
Luscombe8A
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Mbbarron
And now to complicate things more, the car that my husband had his on eye for me, just dropped dramatically in price. Just over $30K for an L-certified LS with 55K miles, with new Michelin 18" tires, ML and semi-aniline. But it's RWD. And I really, really want AWD. My husband is pushing the L-certification. I know many people here don't put much value in the L-certification but I do have to say that this car is a good price/value. I'm kinda drawn to the Red loaded with that Ultra luxury that I don't need. It doesn't have the DRCC or LKA. It's going to be hard to convince my husband that it's not going to cost much more in the long run to go for the Red one.
I'm with your husband on this one.
The L-Cert at that price point is important and takes some pressure off of the repair concerns.
For me the AWD is overstated. RWD will perform well in slippery conditions.
I know you get snow there, so do we. There are few days where it is snowing and I must go out like to work. I just watch my speed and go carefully.If it is dangerous to be out, AWD or RWD I don't go out. Getting trapped at work and having to drive home in the weather happens sometimes but IMHO not worth the AWD. Also, more moving parts and potential repairs than a RWD.

There is also a post on here from SW that compares his experience with AWD to RWD and he was pleasantly surprised by the handling of RWD in the snow.
Old 04-24-18, 10:03 AM
Luscombe8A
Pit Crew

This one is the snow comparison.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...awd-ls460.html
Old 04-24-18, 12:03 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Honestly, having had the LS460 in AWD and RWD now and having driven both in the snow around here (not sure where in MD you are), I wouldn't hesitate to get the RWD car. The modern traction control and skid control are huge improvements.
Old 04-24-18, 12:21 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

Mbarron: Get the car you want, if only for peace of mind. Yes, the L-certified car sounds good but not if you're going to be anxious every time the weather man declares "the sky is falling" (aka there's a 1% chance of snow )!
Old 04-24-18, 12:21 PM
EddieP1215
Driver

Received 39 Likes on 23 Posts

Go with the Red one. I have a red/black 13 F Sport RWD and love it!! The red definitely makes it stand out. I also have ML and air suspension. I don't regret/worry about having it at all. Most LS's don't come in that color. The majority is usually grey/silver/black/white (sometimes). Not saying it's a upper rare color, but I have yet to see another red LS in almost 6 months of ownership. I definitely understand the L-Certified debate though.

But then again as they say..."Happy wife, happy life." LOL.
Old 04-24-18, 12:29 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mbbarron
It doesn't have the DRCC or LKA.
Are you 100% sure? That would be the only UL LS460 I've seen without DRCC then.
Old 04-24-18, 12:31 PM
Oliver Enterprises
Former Sponsor

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts

Mbbarron - The DRCC is highly overrated. I can't stand it. I find it as annoying as hell. The only time I use it is when I convince myself to try it ... just one more time. I put it on the longest space between cars, and it still drives like a 16 year old boy in a riced out Honda Civic. Meaning, it gains too quickly on the car ahead (even at the farthest distance) and then uses the brakes to match speed. As if over (maybe) 100 feet, it is totally blind. Which, I guess, it is. I'm much smoother using the regular cruise and just paying attention to when I need to cancel. If you purchase any LS and it doesn't have DRCC, you'll probably think about it once or twice during your ownership, and it will be inconsequential when you do consider it, because you will be thrilled with whatever car you buy.
Old 04-24-18, 12:36 PM
Mbbarron
Intermediate

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I was surprised too but here's the pic of the steering wheel.
Old 04-24-18, 12:36 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 292 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS

Yeah, this is a reasonable expectation given the many many ULs I have seen over the past two years. Then again....
https://www.lexusofbrookfield.com/ce...8d1b8d802a.htm

Go figure
Old 04-24-18, 12:37 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah wow, thats a surprise.

I agree with Jason BTW, I don't care for the DRCC.

Quick Reply: Rare find - But not sure if it's the one for me