IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Bypass Lexus Enform Remote Start?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-18, 12:33 PM
swaangin
Racer

Received 377 Likes on 286 Posts
Default Bypass Lexus Enform Remote Start?

I think I saw a thread but I can't find it anymore.. Because our cars have the ability to remote start via key fob, I don't get why Lexus Enform is even needed. Has anyone heard of a bypass being installed for this? If so please let me know.

Amazon Amazon

I found this but idk if this does what it's supposed to do with key fob. I don't want to carry around an extra key fob just for remote start.
Old 02-28-18, 12:54 PM
Drawblood
Driver

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

There's several companies on the market making these. I believe they work off your current key fob and you program it to a certain key touch sequence, like pressing the unlock on the key fob three times quickly.
The only problem I see...you have to be within the radius of the car. As opposed to the Enform app which works through a satellite feed.
Old 02-28-18, 01:08 PM
600rr
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Your "free" remote start is enabled by Lexus Enform, which ends after one year.
That's right. You have to pay after one year to use something you've already bought. Absolutely ridiculous, right?
After one year, you would need to find a bypass, pay yearly Enform fee, or get an aftermarket remote starter.
Old 02-28-18, 02:18 PM
ClubLUser
Pole Position

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by 600rr
That's right. You have to pay after one year to use something you've already bought. Absolutely ridiculous, right?
After one year, you would need to find a bypass, pay yearly Enform fee, or get an aftermarket remote starter.
All companies that offer cell phone remote start (virtually unlimited range with cell coverage) charge a subscription fee, because its an ongoing cost (most use a text based system i think?). Fortin is the only one that is free, which i currently have... but i'm at the end of the range area so sometimes it doesn't work... its on a different network than cell phone towers.
Old 02-28-18, 04:12 PM
600rr
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by ClubLUser
All companies that offer cell phone remote start (virtually unlimited range with cell coverage) charge a subscription fee, because its an ongoing cost (most use a text based system i think?). Fortin is the only one that is free, which i currently have... but i'm at the end of the range area so sometimes it doesn't work... its on a different network than cell phone towers.
I'm not talking about cell phone remote starter. I could care less for that.
I'm referring to the key fob remote start, which requires Enform to work, is disabled after a year.
All the functionality is there, but yet they disable it because buying a $50k car is still not enough to get remote start on your key fob.
The following users liked this post:
RaiderHawk (03-03-20)
Old 02-28-18, 07:20 PM
ClubLUser
Pole Position

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

I'm not talking about cell phone remote starter. I could care less for that.
I'm referring to the key fob remote start, which requires Enform to work, is disabled after a year.
All the functionality is there, but yet they disable it because buying a $50k car is still not enough to get remote start on your key fob.
Ah, well the FOB transmission distance is abysmal. You're right that's dumb, but i guess you could have opted for the remote start FOB to begin with? but i get your point, its all there but you have to pay to unlock it.
Old 07-21-19, 01:08 PM
jlapres
Driver School Candidate

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts
Default It is a ripoff

Originally Posted by ClubLUser
Ah, well the FOB transmission distance is abysmal. You're right that's dumb, but i guess you could have opted for the remote start FOB to begin with? but i get your point, its all there but you have to pay to unlock it.
You’re missing the point. The FOB does work, but Lexus literally turns it off. They want you to subscribe to a stupid APP with a bunch of useless features just so your dam remote start from your FOB will work.
And yes other manufacturers do charge for their phone enabled remote start etc BUT they don’t disable your FOB. Literally ONLY Lexus does that and it is the only reason that I will never buy/lease another one. I already have a 50k vehicle and you turn off one of the most desirable features? That’s crappy marketing
The following 4 users liked this post by jlapres:
djtrebor (07-31-19), IS200tJose (02-01-22), MichaelC81 (01-06-20), montyf33 (08-05-21)
Old 07-21-19, 06:00 PM
enkrypt3d
Intermediate

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

You have to realize there is an entire infrastructure of servers and systems that monitor your car in case of emergencies, crashes, and maintenance. This is why it costs money to have these features.... I find it quite useful. $160 a year isn't great but it's not bad either to be able to remotely lock / unlock & start the car from anywhere. It also reminds you if you have windows down, trunk open etc...
Old 07-21-19, 06:19 PM
jlapres
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by enkrypt3d
You have to realize there is an entire infrastructure of servers and systems that monitor your car in case of emergencies, crashes, and maintenance. This is why it costs money to have these features.... I find it quite useful. $160 a year isn't great but it's not bad either to be able to remotely lock / unlock & start the car from anywhere. It also reminds you if you have windows down, trunk open etc...
Oh I realize there’s a bunch of servers and other features but they have nothing to do with the signal going from the key Fob to the remote start.
Old 07-21-19, 06:31 PM
enkrypt3d
Intermediate

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by jlapres
Oh I realize there’s a bunch of servers and other features but they have nothing to do with the signal going from the key Fob to the remote start.
Pretty sure you have to have an active enform subscription in order for the oem key fob to start the car... I understand you're looking for aftermarket options though which should be fine.

I wish there was a way to keep the car from shutting off when you open the door though!
Old 07-21-19, 06:46 PM
logix1229
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

does the 2014 model year support remote start? I don't see that as an option on my enform app....can anyone confirm?
Old 07-21-19, 06:48 PM
KYLexusMkr
Intermediate

Received 50 Likes on 40 Posts

I understand the frustration with the remote start subscription issue. I can see the reasoning with it costing for the application start/stop/lock/unlock as well as emergency management plus notifications with destination assist. I get it. What I don’t get is how, I paid for remote start on my F150 in 2005, it works great, hit my fob and it warms in my drive. I also had the same on my 2011 Camry, worked great. No subs needed ever for either. Now I have a Lexus that costs more than the two combined (F150 was purchased during gas crisis 14k after rebates) and the remote start can’t be used in key fob capacity without a subscription? I don’t get the logic here, sure, remote by phone, charge me, remote by fob? That shouldn’t be a monthly fee, not on a 40k+ vehicle like we own here, sorry.
Old 07-21-19, 07:26 PM
jlapres
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by enkrypt3d
Pretty sure you have to have an active enform subscription in order for the oem key fob to start the car... I understand you're looking for aftermarket options though which should be fine.

I wish there was a way to keep the car from shutting off when you open the door though!
That’s the point, you should NOT have to pay for Enform for the key Fob to send a signal directly to the car. But Lexus can make an extra $15/month of people so they do. Literally every other car maker has remote start via key fob included without any subscription
The following 3 users liked this post by jlapres:
MichaelC81 (01-06-20), montyf33 (08-05-21), RaiderHawk (03-03-20)
Old 07-21-19, 08:14 PM
arentz07
drives cars
Forum Moderator

Received 3,897 Likes on 1,969 Posts

Originally Posted by jlapres
Literally ONLY Lexus does that and it is the only reason that I will never buy/lease another one.
Just a hot take, but you have a lot of other things to consider when buying a vehicle. There are aftermarket solutions for this problem. That way, you can have your Lexus and a more convenient way to remotely start the car.

Seems like you just came here to complain, rather than further the discussion in any meaningful way.
Old 07-21-19, 09:50 PM
jlapres
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by arentz07
Just a hot take, but you have a lot of other things to consider when buying a vehicle. There are aftermarket solutions for this problem. That way, you can have your Lexus and a more convenient way to remotely start the car.

Seems like you just came here to complain, rather than further the discussion in any meaningful way.
You’re right I am here just to complain because if people didn’t just bend over and take it maybe Lexus would change instead of ripping people off. Anything that involves spending more money isn’t a solution to a problem created by Lexus TURNING A FEATURE that is already paid for off.
The following 6 users liked this post by jlapres:
Cski (09-19-22), IS200tJose (02-01-22), MichaelC81 (01-06-20), montyf33 (08-05-21), RaiderHawk (03-03-20), vic170 (01-10-21) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)

Quick Reply: Bypass Lexus Enform Remote Start?