RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Moving from an '02 to probably a '17

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-18, 04:41 PM
mckellyb
Lexus Test Driver

Received 147 Likes on 109 Posts
Default Moving from an '02 to probably a '17

I told my wife, when she got the '02 AWD in 2004, it was the last car she'd ever own.

Well, she's driven quite a bit less than I thought, and she has the new(er) car itch. The want...it is strong.

Seriously considering a '17 dealer loaner which is being taken off the road by them. 8,200 miles, interesting options combination. AWD, panoramic roof, ML, heated/cooled seats, heated wood & leather wheel, 20" wheels, heads-up, 360* camera and parking stuff, touchless rear door, and it's the colors she wants.

She can't stand the bamboo trim and isn't a fan of the dark grey/aluminium trim, either, but this one has grey leather and walnut. Plus, it's Atomic Silver, which is close to my Mercury Metallic '08 LS 460 L. She kinda wants them to match, which is a surprise.

I'd prefer it have the nicer leather, but that relegates you to bamboo or dark grey trim.

Looks like I may be jumping ahead three generations here on CL!

Last edited by mckellyb; 02-25-18 at 01:22 AM.
Old 02-24-18, 05:51 PM
mssca
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I have the exact same trim but in Canadian edition. But I have to admit the heated seats are weak for our winters. The wood on the steering wheel is so freaking cold (that part is not heated) and I hate touching that part without gloves. I think Lexus should just get rid of the wood and go for all heated steering wheel.

EDIT: Hope you get a good deal or more stuff added to the package.

Last edited by mssca; 02-24-18 at 06:05 PM.
Old 02-24-18, 05:54 PM
ut2sua
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by mckellyb
I told my wife, when she got the '02 AWD in 2004, it was the last car she'd ever own.

Well, she's driven quite a bit less than I thought, and she has the new(er) car itch. The want...it is strong.

Seriously considering a '17 dealer loaner which is being taken off the road by them. 8,200 miles, interesting options combination. AWD, panoramic roof, ML, heated/cooled seats, heated wood & leather wheel, 20" wheels, heads-up, touchless rear door, and it's the colors she wants.

She can't stand the bamboo trim and isn't a fan of the dark grey/aluminium trim, either, but this one has grey leather and walnut. Plus, it's Atomic Silver, which is close to my Mercury Metallic '08 LS 460 L. She kinda wants them to match, which is a surprise.

I'd prefer it have the nicer leather, but that relegates you to bamboo or dark grey trim.

Looks like I may be jumping ahead three generations here on CL!
Just keep in mind the new 2017 can be had right now for approximately 9K->10K off the MSRP. The loaner should come further down in price from there. Good luck.
The following users liked this post:
mckellyb (02-25-18)
Old 02-24-18, 10:01 PM
Rarebird
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mssca
I have the exact same trim but in Canadian edition. But I have to admit the heated seats are weak for our winters. The wood on the steering wheel is so freaking cold (that part is not heated) and I hate touching that part without gloves. I think Lexus should just get rid of the wood and go for all heated steering wheel.

EDIT: Hope you get a good deal or more stuff added to the package.
they do offer all leather heated steering wheel, although it’s still only heated at 3 and 9 o’clock. I have it in brown leather on my 17 RX, and it’s wonderful.
Old 02-25-18, 01:23 AM
mckellyb
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ut2sua
Just keep in mind the new 2017 can be had right now for approximately 9K->10K off the MSRP. The loaner should come further down in price from there. Good luck.
Thanks!

We're going to poke around at a larger, likely friendlier dealer on Tuesday. Never know what they have and want to get rid of that particular day.
Old 02-25-18, 10:05 AM
Daniel2311
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Once you get down to your price point, ask about the Lexus $2500 incentive for the 2017 models. Given the mileage of 8k, it will sell as a new car.
I purchased mine from Sewell two weeks ago, a 2017 RX350 model with 8k miles on it.

Good luck.
Dan
Old 02-25-18, 05:06 PM
mckellyb
Lexus Test Driver

Sewell in SW Fort Worth?

We drove one there a couple of weeks ago, but it wasn't the right color and lacked some goodies. Still, she knows what she wants, I'm just confirming colors and the like before I go all-in to find the exact one.
Old 02-26-18, 08:47 AM
jmtamu
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Be sure to check Park Place as well. We got a great deal on our 4RX from them last year.
Old 02-26-18, 11:28 AM
Daniel2311
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No, Sewell in Dallas by Lovefield airport.
6421 Lemmon Ave

I worked with Cooper Bibb, cbibb@sewelllexusdallas.com. He was easy to work with, sells new and used.

Daniel
Old 02-26-18, 03:26 PM
mckellyb
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jmtamu
Be sure to check Park Place as well. We got a great deal on our 4RX from them last year.
We're headed up to Grapevine, then Plano (if necessary), either tomorrow or Wednesday.

From SW Fort Worth, Plano is a freakin' day trip.
Old 02-26-18, 07:07 PM
jmtamu
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

We're headed up to Grapevine, then Plano (if necessary), either tomorrow or Wednesday.

From SW Fort Worth, Plano is a freakin' day trip.
I know. I live in Frisco and my dad is in Weatherford. I can drive to Houston from Frisco faster than I can Weatherford. PM me if you need a contact name at PP in Plano. I've bought my last 2 from a guy there that is good to work with.
The following users liked this post:
mckellyb (02-27-18)
Old 03-02-18, 01:00 AM
mckellyb
Lexus Test Driver

Flight to Denver, $46.30, fees and everything, is booked for Tuesday, 7 AM.

I should be home by 9-10 PM the same day. 800 mile shakedown...that'll be enough to figure everything out. :-D

I see on the Lexus owners' site, it just had paintless dent repair, leather cleaning, and paint touch-up. Good, it's very definitely getting ready for a road trip. Plus, at 8,200 miles, it's already had the 10K mile service, so fresh oil and the like.

Ut2sua, I don't know where you're finding brand-new 2017s which have a retail of $58K-$60K for $48K-$50K, but my Ph.D Googling skill couldn't find them.

This one, used, is still priced below book for an L-Certified vehicle by a few grand.
Old 03-02-18, 08:03 PM
ut2sua
Pole Position

Flight to Denver, $46.30, fees and everything, is booked for Tuesday, 7 AM.

Ut2sua, I don't know where you're finding brand-new 2017s which have a retail of $58K-$60K for $48K-$50K, but my Ph.D Googling skill couldn't find them.

This one, used, is still priced below book for an L-Certified vehicle by a few grand.
I live in the bay area, CA. We do have multiple Lexus dealers within 50 mile radius, so that helps. I have just check and Lexus of Stevens Creek still have 38 2017 RX's. A couple weeks ago, that number was 46. I bought mine for closed to 9.5K off of MSRP in Jan 2018 (2.5K Lexus incentive included - loaded RX)
https://www.lexusstevenscreek.com/Ve...0350&year=2017
I don't know how active the dealerships here are in dealing with out of state buyers however. Best of luck to you.
Old 03-02-18, 11:51 PM
mckellyb
Lexus Test Driver

Wow, so you're saying you picked up something similar to this: https://www.lexusstevenscreek.com/Ve...-CA/3125827303 , but for around $50K?

Color me skeptical, as that must be below what the dealer paid for it in the first place. Granted, said dealer can sell you this car for $3.50, if they want.

Well-done, if it's as you say it is.

I'm not trying to be difficult about it, but I sold new cars back in college at a large Texas Ford dealer, so I know the other side of the business. Plus, I was a finance major...
Old 03-03-18, 12:10 AM
ut2sua
Pole Position

Wow, so you're saying you picked up something similar to this: https://www.lexusstevenscreek.com/Ve...-CA/3125827303 , but for around $50K?

Color me skeptical, as that must be below what the dealer paid for it in the first place. Granted, said dealer can sell you this car for $3.50, if they want.

Well-done, if it's as you say it is.

I'm not trying to be difficult about it, but I sold new cars back in college at a large Texas Ford dealer, so I know the other side of the business. Plus, I was a finance major...
I didn't mean to give you 1 particular car. I was doing a search for all 2017 RXs from that dealership, then copy and paste that link. It came up as 1 particular RX somehow.
Just ignore my input if you find that is hard to believe. Cheers.

Quick Reply: Moving from an '02 to probably a '17