RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Cross bar

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-18, 10:05 AM
Yurka
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Cross bar

I am looking to buy cross bar for my 2013, primarily for ski/snowboarding trips, i hate putting down the back seats to carry my snowboard. I got the holder for it already but missing the cross bar, cant decide which to get. The dealer has them sale for almost $400 which is crazy $, so i looked around Amazon and they have a lot of choices and im not quite sure which to go with.There are some that are OEM for 2010-2015 RX, then there are brand and also some universal (which seem bit too much and i feel like they'll be sticking out a lot). Does anyone have any suggestions on cross bars, any specifically good ones someone can recommend.

TIA
Old 02-04-18, 01:15 PM
Clutchless

Received 1,127 Likes on 962 Posts

Look on Ebay. Saw some OEM for less. Or get aftermarket for cheaper as they can be removed when not in use and are easier to install.
I am considering these on eBay https://www.ebay.com/itm/10-15-Lexus...RVFIiH&vxp=mtr
Then I could sell my kayak trailer, or not.
Old 02-05-18, 02:54 PM
Yurka
Intermediate

I actually saw these and was considering them, one question tho, would i need to drill holes in my roof rails for the screws or do the screws on this crossbar is just to tight it into the rails?
Old 02-05-18, 03:58 PM
salimshah

Received 1,027 Likes on 927 Posts

Originally Posted by Yurka
I actually saw these and was considering them, one question tho, would i need to drill holes in my roof rails for the screws or do the screws on this crossbar is just to tight it into the rails?
One has to remove the cover at the tail ends of the rails. The slats have a female thread metal slider that is slid inside the rail. Once the position is adjusted by sliding action, the slats are secured by tightening the ****.

If you look at the rail, you can see the slot.

Salim

Last edited by salimshah; 02-05-18 at 08:08 PM.
Old 02-05-18, 06:07 PM
Yurka
Intermediate

yeah i saw a video on how to remove the back end cover on the rails just wasnt sure if i had to drill holes inside the slats or just tighten it, there are some RXs in my area that ive been paying attention to and they have multiple holes in their roof rails, but since its just tightening then its awesome, gonna get these, thank you! will post pictures once i install everything in case someone else is considering something similar.
Old 02-05-18, 07:11 PM
Raoul
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Not sure if snowboard brackets would fit these. The crossbar is I believe (1 x 2) but, they install in 10 minutes.
Had an old jeep rack an got two crossbars and brackets for less than $30.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/att...1&d=1517886475
Attached Thumbnails Cross bar-100_6413.jpg  
Old 02-06-18, 06:29 AM
Clutchless

Found the same ones from Broadfeet on Amazon as I listed above from ebay. However they are a lot more expensive on Amazon. But you do get to see owner reviews and a list of similar cross bars from other manufacturers at varying prices

Amazon Amazon
Old 02-07-18, 08:24 AM
smknkeyz
Pit Crew

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I got my factory cross bars off ebay for a sweet deal. Took 10 mins to install. I recommend hunting on there until you find some. Someone with a lease is always taking them off and selling before they return the car.
Old 02-09-18, 01:35 PM
tus
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by smknkeyz
I got my factory cross bars off ebay for a sweet deal. Took 10 mins to install. I recommend hunting on there until you find some. Someone with a lease is always taking them off and selling before they return the car.
Just wondering, have you noticed any new wind noise with the factory bars installed?

I have a set of Yakima bars that I've had for years and used on several cars/SUVs now, but, on every vehicle I get an annoying whistling at normal driving speeds even if there's nothing on them and they just happen to be installed.
Old 02-10-18, 01:38 PM
Yurka
Intermediate

i got the OEM ones like Clutchless posted they arrived today along with my Thule snowboard/ski holder, one of these days ill install them and let you know about the wind and the looks, it just gotta stop raining over here.
The following users liked this post:
tus (02-12-18)
Old 02-12-18, 08:23 AM
smknkeyz
Pit Crew

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I haven't noticed any significant additional wind noise. I take my Thule attachments off of the crossbars when not in use, so that probably cuts down on it a bit.
tus (02-12-18)
Old 02-26-18, 11:30 AM
Yurka
Intermediate

So this is what i have, OEM cross bar with Thule snowboard/ski roof rack. I went on a snowboarding trip this past week, had two snowboards strapped in it. I didnt really notice any significant noise with both of them, just a slight noise. Without the boards it seems like nothing in on top of the car tbh, so far satisfied with it.
Attached Thumbnails Cross bar-crossbars.jpg   Cross bar-roofrack1.jpg   Cross bar-roofrack2.jpg  
tus (02-26-18)
Old 05-12-24, 02:31 PM
LexusNoobBoob
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Rail crossbars

Wanting suggestions for a decent set of roof rail crossbars for my 2010 rx450h, things kinda beat up 210k miles, don't need to spend a ton, an "Amazon special?"....wanna utilize putting a kayak on top
and I don't know anything about roof racks, rails, etc...I'm assuming they're easy to install?
Old 05-12-24, 04:27 PM
Clutchless

Do you have the factory rails? Your post was confusing with your terminology.
Do you want to replace beat up cross bars? Or install replacements? Or add them?
There are new and used OEM and aftermarket ones on eBay. Plus you can look on Amazon.

Here is an OEM new set of cross bars for about $200. https://www.ebay.com/itm/33518387795...Bk9SR5zoiPLtYw
Old 05-12-24, 09:21 PM
salimshah

Received 1,027 Likes on 927 Posts

Just to help the terminology get across right

Rails ... they run front to back, one on, each side.
cross-bars/slats ... they run across, factory set up will be 2 slats.

My best understanding regarding '10/'11 450H is that FWD by default did not have the roof rack [no rails, no slats]. Blocking rubber plugs one in front and one in the back on each side.

AWD may have the roof rack where the plugs were removed and rails were attached. The rails have a a plastic nose and tail painted silver/gray. Before installing the tails, the slats are inserted and tied to the rails and the tail pieces are snapped it.

Salim

Quick Reply: Cross bar