GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

1998 Lexus gs400 reserved power

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-18, 09:27 PM
dtxcvrlxs
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 1998 Lexus gs400 reserved power

I have a 1998 lexus gs400 and I’m having problems with the car staying on I changed the alternator and battery this summer and 2 weeks ago the car turned off on me while driving I took it to get tested and the said my alternator was bad so I changed it that still didn’t work and I also changed the battery the alternator still isn’t working and I’m not sure what else it could be if anyone could help that would be great
Old 01-15-18, 12:21 AM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 80 Posts

Are you getting any codes? Did the shop give you proof that it was the alternator? There are a number of things that could cause it to shut off, even non electrical causes.
Old 01-15-18, 08:15 AM
dtxcvrlxs
Driver School Candidate

I haven’t got it tested since I disconnected the battery I have to wait for the codes to pop back up I work at o’reillys and the battery tester says the voltage regulator on the alternator failed I’ve had a my check engine light o for a while because of a cat but I never changed it
Old 01-15-18, 11:11 AM
kevin3344
Lexus Test Driver

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts

When you say "shut off while driving" do you mean after driving for a long while? Or more like at a stop light? If so, it could be your fuel pump starting to go. Happened to me on the way back from the beach a couple years ago. But I was about an hour into the trip. I got a P0715 - Turbine/Input shaft speed sensor circuit code and I thought for sure it was transmission related, but the dealer did a fuel pressure test and confirmed it. Haven't had a problem since.

Another time my GS shut off was during short distance driving after the car warmed up. I would get to a stop light, and the car would shake and shut off. But not all the time maybe once a month. The rpms would get very, very low and it would shut off but immediately start back up. I didn't get any codes but when I took the car in for regular servicing I brought up the intermittent stalling to the dealer and they found it. It was a hose near the purge valve (you will have to lift off the engine cover to check). It's good to check all of your vacuum hoses periodically though we even found one on our SC430. Over time they get brittle and crack.
Old 01-16-18, 10:17 AM
dtxcvrlxs
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by kevin3344
When you say "shut off while driving" do you mean after driving for a long while? Or more like at a stop light? If so, it could be your fuel pump starting to go. Happened to me on the way back from the beach a couple years ago. But I was about an hour into the trip. I got a P0715 - Turbine/Input shaft speed sensor circuit code and I thought for sure it was transmission related, but the dealer did a fuel pressure test and confirmed it. Haven't had a problem since.

Another time my GS shut off was during short distance driving after the car warmed up. I would get to a stop light, and the car would shake and shut off. But not all the time maybe once a month. The rpms would get very, very low and it would shut off but immediately start back up. I didn't get any codes but when I took the car in for regular servicing I brought up the intermittent stalling to the dealer and they found it. It was a hose near the purge valve (you will have to lift off the engine cover to check). It's good to check all of your vacuum hoses periodically though we even found one on our SC430. Over time they get brittle and crack.
the car completely powers off and I get no power my alternator is not charging everything and the car runs on the battery so once the battery dies I can’t do anything ive replaced the alternator and I’m still having the same problem
Old 01-16-18, 10:31 AM
kevin3344
Lexus Test Driver

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts

Could you have gotten a bad alternator?
Old 01-16-18, 03:28 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 80 Posts

Check your wiring. I'd say, replace the main lead from the alternator and the fuse box. Make sure all wires are secure