IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Vibration after installing universal 5mm spacers

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-17, 12:51 PM
sabapa
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vibration after installing universal 5mm spacers

Before anything, yes, I did try googling this, but I can’t find anything exact to my issue.

Hello everyone. I installed new aftermarket rims on my 2014 Lexus IS 350 F Sport (AWD) with 5mm spacers all around because they were touching the front calipers without them. Everything is great until I hit the 50/60s speed zone, the car starts vibrating. Before the spacers were even put on, I felt they are just going to be slapped on without any precision because you know, they are universal. They were loose.

How do I go about fixing this vibration? Anyone recommend any Lexus specific spacers that I could maybe get from Amazon or any other credible source in the states?

These are the rims: Link

The wheel size is 18x8 all around.

Any input will be greatly appreciated!
Old 11-20-17, 01:13 PM
Ciggy
Lead Lap

Received 89 Likes on 65 Posts

The problem is your spacers.

Either the hub size is off, or there is a gap in between the hub ring and your wheel.

Are the spacers 1 piece? Or is the hub ring a separate piece?

I have H&R 25mm spacers on the front and they were perfect out of the box one piece.

I have 20mm Ichiba spacers for the rear and they are two piece. The hub rings that came with them cause a ton of vibration at highway speeds. Even a small millimeter gap will cause these problems. Thankfully my father is a machinist and he made me a set of new hub rings. They fit into the spacer itself so tight that they need to be pressed with a vice to go all the way in. This is perfect. The tighter the better.

It sounds like you went the cheap route and whoever made those spacers did a **** job. Ichiba did a **** job. Not only did the hub not fit the car perfect but the hub ring didn't even fit the spacer correctly and they machined both the parts.

My suggestion. Pick up a pair of 5mm H&R's. They will fit perfect but you'll probably need to install extended studs. The smallest they make with studs already pressed in are a whopping 25mm.
The following users liked this post:
sabapa (11-20-17)
Old 11-20-17, 01:16 PM
Ciggy
Lead Lap

Also. The problem could be your wheels being off balance since it sounds like you did wheels at the same time. I had my mechanic re-check the balance and after confirming it was spot on I started looking at the spacers and that's when I found my issue.
sabapa (11-20-17)
Old 11-20-17, 02:06 PM
sabapa
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Ciggy
The problem is your spacers.

Either the hub size is off, or there is a gap in between the hub ring and your wheel.

Are the spacers 1 piece? Or is the hub ring a separate piece?

I have H&R 25mm spacers on the front and they were perfect out of the box one piece.

I have 20mm Ichiba spacers for the rear and they are two piece. The hub rings that came with them cause a ton of vibration at highway speeds. Even a small millimeter gap will cause these problems. Thankfully my father is a machinist and he made me a set of new hub rings. They fit into the spacer itself so tight that they need to be pressed with a vice to go all the way in. This is perfect. The tighter the better.

It sounds like you went the cheap route and whoever made those spacers did a **** job. Ichiba did a **** job. Not only did the hub not fit the car perfect but the hub ring didn't even fit the spacer correctly and they machined both the parts.

My suggestion. Pick up a pair of 5mm H&R's. They will fit perfect but you'll probably need to install extended studs. The smallest they make with studs already pressed in are a whopping 25mm.
They are one piece generic spacers. My friend ordered them from one of his supplier's for his shop. He made sure they were balanced right, and I was there to confirm his work, so that's definitely not it.

I am not sure about the exact H&R model you are talking about, but this is what I am looking at based on the specs I have on the car:
Amazon Amazon

Thoughts on the above ones? I am trying to go with Amazon because it's the most hassle-free way to get these things online. I can return it easily.

Update: I went ahead and ordered them. Messaged the seller as well to double check the compatibility; pointed out what I am experiencing with the current generic spacers.

Last edited by sabapa; 11-20-17 at 02:27 PM.
Old 11-20-17, 10:09 PM
itsx
Intermediate

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...uys-using.html

I think you should be looking at hub-centric spacers with a bore of 60.1 as Mike200T mentioned there ^

There might be some more relevant info there for you
Old 11-21-17, 04:00 AM
sabapa
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by itsx
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...uys-using.html

I think you should be looking at hub-centric spacers with a bore of 60.1 as Mike200T mentioned there ^

There might be some more relevant info there for you
thank you for that link! It just confirmed that I indeed ordered the right part from amazon. I’ll have to waiting until Friday for it to come in. I’ll keep you guys posted on the results (and hope it help others in the future).
Old 11-21-17, 04:50 AM
Ciggy
Lead Lap

He made sure the spacers were balanced correctly? That has nothing to do with what I'm talking about.

I'm talking about the fitment of the hub ring onto the hub of the car as well as the fitment between the spacers hub ring and the wheel hub size. My father and I used a little electronic caliper tool to measure each of these items and determined that there was indeed a few millimeters of play. It's not about the spacers being balanced it's about them fitting perfect and tight.

The spacers you sent a link too don't seem to be hub centric. I don't see a lip on them to sit inside your wheel.

They should look something like that. Except my lip is not nearly as protruded from the spacer.

I just removed my spacers for the winter. Raised the car up about an inch for better handling and performance in the snow. I can take some photos of my spacers tonight. I have 100% NO vibrations with my current set up.

I can even show you the rings that Ichiba sent me and the rings that my father machined.

Last edited by Ciggy; 11-21-17 at 04:54 AM.
Old 11-21-17, 08:49 AM
sabapa
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Ciggy
He made sure the spacers were balanced correctly? That has nothing to do with what I'm talking about.

I'm talking about the fitment of the hub ring onto the hub of the car as well as the fitment between the spacers hub ring and the wheel hub size. My father and I used a little electronic caliper tool to measure each of these items and determined that there was indeed a few millimeters of play. It's not about the spacers being balanced it's about them fitting perfect and tight.

The spacers you sent a link too don't seem to be hub centric. I don't see a lip on them to sit inside your wheel.

They should look something like that. Except my lip is not nearly as protruded from the spacer.

I just removed my spacers for the winter. Raised the car up about an inch for better handling and performance in the snow. I can take some photos of my spacers tonight. I have 100% NO vibrations with my current set up.

I can even show you the rings that Ichiba sent me and the rings that my father machined.
Wow, I missed the one thing I was buying these new spacers for, hub centric. I think this is the right one:
Amazon Amazon

That one seems to be hub centric. Any comments on that? I can order it, and just send back the other one if this guarantees more stability.

Pictures would be really appreciated, if you don't mind.

Let me know!

Edit: I ordered that pair as well because I had a few mins window before the guaranteed delivery changed from Friday to Monday, and I don't want that. I can return/exchange easily; magic of Amazon.

Last edited by sabapa; 11-21-17 at 09:13 AM.
Old 11-21-17, 09:08 AM
ClubLUser
Pole Position

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by sabapa
...That one seems to be hub centric. Any comments on that?....

Let me know!
Those are 25mm, they might cause your wheels to rub the fender. What is the offest of your rims now? but before anything else can you confirm your wheels are hub centric? 5mm shouldn't make you lose the current lip on your hub... i don't think anyway.

Last edited by ClubLUser; 11-21-17 at 09:11 AM.
Old 11-21-17, 09:17 AM
sabapa
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ClubLUser
Those are 25mm, they might cause your wheels to rub the fender. What is the offest of your rims now? but before anything else can you confirm your wheels are hub centric? 5mm shouldn't make you lose the current lip on your hub... i don't think anyway.
Don't think that is going to be an issue. My previous rims were from 2015 GS F sport; they were 19inch. They were somewhat beyond the flush look point, and didn't cause any rubbing. These new rims are close to flush, but not all the way, and they are smaller (18inch). Plus, that's what Ciggy is using, so I think we are good with the rubbing deal.
Old 11-21-17, 09:21 AM
ClubLUser
Pole Position

Don't think that is going to be an issue. My previous rims were from 2015 GS F sport; they were 19inch. They were somewhat beyond the flush look point, and didn't cause any rubbing. These new rims are close to flush, but not all the way, and they are smaller (18inch). Plus, that's what Ciggy is using, so I think we are good with the rubbing deal.
It all really depends on the width of the rim, and the offset. What you're talking about is the diameter of the rim. Beyond offset, can you confirm that your new 18 inch rims are hub centric? You said they wouldn't fit because of caliper clearance so they were never tested to be hub centric until you put a spacer on. Chances are your aftermarket wheels need hub adapters.
sabapa (11-21-17)
Old 11-21-17, 09:28 AM
ClubLUser
Pole Position

Please note, these are what rim bore adapters look like, Unless your rims were made specifically for lexus/toyota, they should come with a set.
Old 11-21-17, 10:54 AM
sabapa
Driver School Candidate

Please note, these are what rim bore adapters look like, Unless your rims were made specifically for lexus/toyota, they should come with a set.
Wow you guys have been so helpful, I really appreciate it.

So I made some calls, and got the specs on offset and the wheel's ring diameter. Offset is +45 and the ring diameter is 73.1. I completely missed the diameter part, so I went ahead and order the adapters as you recommended; they will be in tomorrow.

Based on the offset diagram, +45 should be good, huh? I might still need the 25mm spacer with centric hub to reach the rim's ring because the current generic spacer has no "lip." Am I starting to get on track with this whole deal? Let me know.
Old 11-21-17, 11:04 AM
ClubLUser
Pole Position

Wow you guys have been so helpful, I really appreciate it.

So I made some calls, and got the specs on offset and the wheel's ring diameter. Offset is +45 and the ring diameter is 73.1. I completely missed the diameter part, so I went ahead and order the adapters as you recommended; they will be in tomorrow.

Based on the offset diagram, +45 should be good, huh? I might still need the 25mm spacer with centric hub to reach the rim's ring because the current generic spacer has no "lip." Am I starting to get on track with this whole deal? Let me know.

I'm just going to let you know now the competence of the shop that sold you the wheels is appalling. They should have set you up with hub adapters and correct rim specs to clear brakes.
I believe that after you get those hub adapters your vibrations will go away, and also believe that the 5mm spacers are fine by themselves. Generic ones you got don't have a lip but they also allow your cars hub's lip to protrude enough for your wheels to sit on.
example below, 5mm spacer but the car's hub still protrudes enough for a wheel to sit on.
sabapa (11-21-17)
Old 11-21-17, 11:19 AM
sabapa
Driver School Candidate

I'm just going to let you know now the competence of the shop that sold you the wheels is appalling. They should have set you up with hub adapters and correct rim specs to clear brakes.
I believe that after you get those hub adapters your vibrations will go away, and also believe that the 5mm spacers are fine by themselves. Generic ones you got don't have a lip but they also allow your cars hub's lip to protrude enough for your wheels to sit on.
example below, 5mm spacer but the car's hub still protrudes enough for a wheel to sit on.
The shop is my friend's, and he is only there to help out with the install; he doesn't do custom wheel work, so this is a learning experience for him just as much as it is for me.

The generic 5mm spacers are universal, and due to its universal nature, they are not as snug as the picture you shared. Is that okay? If it is, then I am saving a lot of money with not getting new spacers. I will still have to test drive after to get a feel, but wanted your view on the universal aspect of the current spacers. The supplier said they will fit my specific model.

Quick Reply: Vibration after installing universal 5mm spacers