IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Broken wheel stud

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-17, 09:46 AM
toyotaguy
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Broken wheel stud

It started as just slightly low tire pressure on the front-left wheel but somehow the valve got stuck open and wouldn't close after detaching from the air compressor. So, took the tire to a shop who replaced the valve for $10 and during the process of putting the wheel back on myself I broke one of the stud.

I've done some searches but still not completely sure what's all involved for this car. For those that have replaced wheel studs on our cars, it is matter of just pressing out the broken one and installing a new one? One shop guy I've talked to said it's not that easy on our cars that whole hub has to be pulled which might also require new bearings making it very costly just to replace a $5 stud. Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-18-17, 10:10 AM
Mrfix
Lead Lap

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

I just put one on about a month ago.

Take a hammer and hit it and it should just pop out. Then insert the new one and get it started with a couple of taps. You will need good socket and a wheel lug and either a strong bar or a air gun to get it the rest of the way. You won't be able to beat it in with the hammer. You will also need something like a crescent wrench or a spacer to put between the wheel lug and the back plate while you tighten the lug to pull the wheel stud into place. there are some decent youtube videos that will give you a general idea of what is involved. If you have all the tools (compressor, air gun, extra lug, etc) it takes like 2 minutes.

One shop guy I've talked to said it's not that easy on our cars that whole hub has to be pulled which might also require new bearings making it very costly just to replace a $5 stud.

The guy who told you this is an full of $h!t unless I found some secret way to do it. Don't ever use him again, he is a con man.
Old 11-18-17, 02:11 PM
primavera
Instructor

Received 302 Likes on 256 Posts

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ast-night.html
Old 11-18-17, 04:03 PM
toyotaguy
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks and yeah it was pretty easy job though it took me bit longer. The hardest part was installing the new stud perfectly straight as I had to back it out once as it was bit crooked the first time. I used a ball joint press to both remove and install which made it much easier.

I can’t believe I really fretted about this yesterday when it happened thinking I’ll have to spend hundreds when all it took was less than $10 total! 😊👌
Old 11-20-17, 01:43 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

Using a hammer is a last resort. Best to use a press, as hammering can affect your hub bearing and ABS sensor. I've got an array of various size C-clamps that would work well for this issue. Luckily I've not had the pleasure of doing this on my Lex. Did have to on my Ford like 15yrs ago.
Old 11-21-17, 11:05 AM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,484 Likes on 1,238 Posts

^^ + 100....
Do not hammer on your hub/Wheel bearings. If that is your path just go buy a new hub and bearing now.

Next, dont use a wheel nut to pull it in. It will likely be damaged. As stated, a press is the best choice as sucking it in with a nut will not seat it full until driven for a while and you risk stretching the new stud depending on its fit.

If you do pull it in with a nut, use a stack of greased washers to reduce friction. And once assembled, check the nuts torque every day while the bolt is seating....