LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

GS to LS advice

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-17, 11:21 AM
texaslocal
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default GS to LS advice

Hey guys,

I’ve been a long time lurker on here and have very much appreciated the great insight you all have provided into your experience with the LS.

Curently have a 2013 GS 350 and am seriously considering upgrading to a 2014-2015 LS with 40-50k miles. My needs have changed, I’m spending more time on the highway and am looking for a smoother and quieter ride. The GS has been a fantastic car for me...no trouble with it whatsoever...just wanting a more refined and comfortable ride.

Have any of you driven a GS and an LS to compare? Is the ride and cabin quietness substantially improved with the LS? I am planning to test drive the LS, but wanted to get insight before opening Pandora’s box of going into the dealer.

Also, i would like to get the Pre Collision and Lane Keep Assist functionality. Do these features come standard on the 2014-2015 models?

Thank you again for any insight you can provide!
Old 11-17-17, 12:21 PM
mckellyb
Lexus Test Driver

Received 147 Likes on 109 Posts

While I've not driven a GS, I consider my previous 2005 Cadillac STS, the RWD one, with Magneride and mostly loaded, to be a similar machine in size and when compared, overall, to the LS.

Lemme tell ya, you're in for a surprise.

Granted, my "L" has air suspension, but if you've owned/driven/remember land yachts of the early-to-mid 70s, then you know what "porpoising" is. It's when the nose continues to go up and down after an undulation in pavement while at speed.

Setting the air suspension switch to 'comfort' does just that. Now, it's not like my '73 Coupe DeVille was, even with gas dampers, but it's not rough.

Plus, it's quick, with EBC brakes they feel/behave like the should, Continental DWS06 tires were made for this car, and on the highway, at 80-85 MPH (I'm in Texas), A/C on, 30 MPG.

Even in-town, it's rare I'm in the teens. Usually around 20-21.

You mentioned quiet. When my wife and I went down to San Antonio, we bypassed Austin on a toll road called TX-190...the speed limit is 85, and it's not really patrolled, so I wicked it up a little when I could see we were 100% alone.

I said to her, in a completely normal tone, "the problem with this car is the lack of noise. 60 miles an hour feels and sounds just like this..."

She asked how fast we were going.

I said, "double that".

She said, "wow", and was totally chilled out/impressed.
Old 11-17-17, 12:32 PM
timinfla2
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

'Double That'.

That's awesome.
Old 11-17-17, 12:46 PM
texaslocal
Rookie

Originally Posted by mckellyb
While I've not driven a GS, I consider my previous 2005 Cadillac STS, the RWD one, with Magneride and mostly loaded, to be a similar machine in size and when compared, overall, to the LS.

Lemme tell ya, you're in for a surprise.

Granted, my "L" has air suspension, but if you've owned/driven/remember land yachts of the early-to-mid 70s, then you know what "porpoising" is. It's when the nose continues to go up and down after an undulation in pavement while at speed.

Setting the air suspension switch to 'comfort' does just that. Now, it's not like my '73 Coupe DeVille was, even with gas dampers, but it's not rough.

Plus, it's quick, with EBC brakes they feel/behave like the should, Continental DWS06 tires were made for this car, and on the highway, at 80-85 MPH (I'm in Texas), A/C on, 30 MPG.

Even in-town, it's rare I'm in the teens. Usually around 20-21.

You mentioned quiet. When my wife and I went down to San Antonio, we bypassed Austin on a toll road called TX-190...the speed limit is 85, and it's not really patrolled, so I wicked it up a little when I could see we were 100% alone.

I said to her, in a completely normal tone, "the problem with this car is the lack of noise. 60 miles an hour feels and sounds just like this..."

She asked how fast we were going.

I said, "double that".

She said, "wow", and was totally chilled out/impressed.
“Porpoising” Lol. I’m wanting smooth but would like it to be manageable. Most likely I’ll be getting a non-air suspension...would it still have a planted, smooth feel?

Also, based on your description the wind noise is minimal even at high speeds, is that correct?
Old 11-17-17, 01:38 PM
Oliver Enterprises
Former Sponsor

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts

Texaslocal - I would take 30 mpg at 80 - 85 mpg with the A/C on, with a grain of salt. A very big grain of salt. I managed a hair over 30 mpg once. It was out west, heading east, at no more than 75 mph, no A/C, and I'm guessing I had a skosh of tailwind (meaning, less headwind than normal).

Porpoising? I mean, I guess some may describe it like that. But I certainly don't. It just seems very smooth. It doesn't get upset over a lot of the things other cars may tend to. And dappens out very quickly. I have an air suspension though. I can tell you that with my experience working at Toyota in design, the Toyota engineering direction would have been to design the traditional suspension LS to mimick the behavior of one of the suspension settings of the air suspension car. My guess is it wouldn't be Sport mode. I would put money on the standard air suspension mode being mimicked as close as possible on the traditional suspension. And yes, it will feel smooth. And planted ... at least in a straight line. This ain't no autocross machine.

Quiet? Sure. But that depends on what you're comparing it to. Maybe equivalent to the GS as far as wind noise. But quieter on engine noise and "road" noise (the noise that transmits through the tires, wheels, suspension and into the car).

Jason Oliver
Old 11-17-17, 01:40 PM
dfkd
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Air suspension is known for feeling "floaty" compared against coil springs.

I went from an LS430 to a GS350 then to the LS460.
The feel of the 460 is smack in between. A good balance for me but still too soft for many.

If highway cruising is your main concern, you won't be disappointed.
Tire pressure is how I control the "feel" of mine now.
~34PSI for comfort and ~40PSI for a firmer experience.
Old 11-17-17, 01:46 PM
texaslocal
Rookie

Originally Posted by Oliver Enterprises
Porpoising? I mean, I guess some may describe it like that. But I certainly don't. It just seems very smooth. It doesn't get upset over a lot of the things other cars may tend to. And dappens out very quickly. I have an air suspension though. I can tell you that with my experience working at Toyota in design, the Toyota engineering direction would have been to design the traditional suspension LS to mimick the behavior of one of the suspension settings of the air suspension car. My guess is it wouldn't be Sport mode. I would put money on the standard air suspension mode being mimicked as close as possible on the traditional suspension. And yes, it will feel smooth. And planted ... at least in a straight line. This ain't no autocross machine.
Thank you! I would agree that the non-Air probably mimics the “Normal” setting. By chance do you have an opinion on the Pre-Collision system? Is it a must-have or much used feature?
Old 11-17-17, 01:50 PM
Oliver Enterprises
Former Sponsor

I will add. I certainly understand the comments heard about BMW being a driver's car, and the Lexus is too soft, and blah blah blah. But, if I had purchased an LS with the intention of setting lap records at Road Atlanta, I would have been very disappointed.

On the other hand, if I had purchased a 7 Series BMW to set lap records at Road Atlanta, I would STILL be disappointed and couple with a less comfy ride home for a double whammy.

Since I didn't target lap records at Road Atlanta, I think I got a more enjoyable real life street ride with the LS than a 7 Series. And a much smaller maintenance and repair bill.

No disrespect to the 7 Series. It's a sharp car to be sure. But comparing the 2 are a bit of apples and oranges. What you buy depends on if you want an apple or an orange.

Jason Oliver
Old 11-17-17, 01:57 PM
Oliver Enterprises
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by texaslocal
Thank you! I would agree that the non-Air probably mimics the “Normal” setting. By chance do you have an opinion on the Pre-Collision system? Is it a must-have or much used feature?
I have some level of the Pre-Collision system. It doesn't control my car. It just pops up a "Oh Crap, Look Out!" kind of warning when it gets scared I'm going to crash. What's the logic? I'm about to crash, but there's a beep and a message that I need to take my attention off the road for, in order for the vehicle to warn me I'm about to crash? Silly. Must-have? Absolutely ... NOT! There's no benefit in mine.

It is somehow tied to the radar cruise. Even when my cruise system is OFF, the radar must be sending signals to the ECU. Because the times I've had a warning, I did not have the Radar Cruise active.

Jason Oliver
Old 11-17-17, 02:18 PM
Duck05
Racer

Received 360 Likes on 241 Posts

We test drove a GS in '04 and again in '13 and while nice cars they were cramped and not near the feel of the LS's. A '14 or '15 base model LS is a great long range touring car and you will not be disappointed.....
Old 11-17-17, 02:25 PM
texaslocal
Rookie

Since I didn't target lap records at Road Atlanta, I think I got a more enjoyable real life street ride with the LS than a 7 Series. And a much smaller maintenance and repair bill.
Agreed. I’m looking for a comfortable ride and dependable vehicle.
Old 11-17-17, 02:29 PM
texaslocal
Rookie

Originally Posted by Duck05
We test drove a GS in '04 and again in '13 and while nice cars they were cramped and not near the feel of the LS's. A '14 or '15 base model LS is a great long range touring car and you will not be disappointed.....
This is the comparison I was hoping for, much appreciated. Do you have an opinion on standard suspension vs. the air suspension?
Old 11-17-17, 02:33 PM
texaslocal
Rookie

Originally Posted by dfkd
Air suspension is known for feeling "floaty" compared against coil springs.

I went from an LS430 to a GS350 then to the LS460.
The feel of the 460 is smack in between. A good balance for me but still too soft for many.

If highway cruising is your main concern, you won't be disappointed.
Tire pressure is how I control the "feel" of mine now.
~34PSI for comfort and ~40PSI for a firmer experience.
Thank you!
Old 11-17-17, 02:44 PM
texaslocal
Rookie

I have some level of the Pre-Collision system. It doesn't control my car. It just pops up a "Oh Crap, Look Out!" kind of warning when it gets scared I'm going to crash. What's the logic? I'm about to crash, but there's a beep and a message that I need to take my attention off the road for, in order for the vehicle to warn me I'm about to crash? Silly. Must-have? Absolutely ... NOT! There's no benefit in mine.

It is somehow tied to the radar cruise. Even when my cruise system is OFF, the radar must be sending signals to the ECU. Because the times I've had a warning, I did not have the Radar Cruise active.

Jason Oliver
Very helpful. I’m almost wondering if I need to temper my expectations of the system’s crash avoidance for the more advanced automation features expected in the coming years.
Old 11-17-17, 02:50 PM
Etseng66
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by texaslocal
Hey guys,

I’ve been a long time lurker on here and have very much appreciated the great insight you all have provided into your experience with the LS.

Curently have a 2013 GS 350 and am seriously considering upgrading to a 2014-2015 LS with 40-50k miles. My needs have changed, I’m spending more time on the highway and am looking for a smoother and quieter ride. The GS has been a fantastic car for me...no trouble with it whatsoever...just wanting a more refined and comfortable ride.

Have any of you driven a GS and an LS to compare? Is the ride and cabin quietness substantially improved with the LS? I am planning to test drive the LS, but wanted to get insight before opening Pandora’s box of going into the dealer.

Also, i would like to get the Pre Collision and Lane Keep Assist functionality. Do these features come standard on the 2014-2015 models?

Thank you again for any insight you can provide!

I have both 17 GS350-F and 17 LS460-F
Complete 2 different ride performance, LS460 just quiet and heavy, and GS350 a bit lighter

Regarding PCC, warning kick in on both car when I drive, on LS460 it will slow down to under 30MPG then driver need take rest of action, but on GS350, it will make complete stop, both regardless cruise control is active or not.

Quick Reply: GS to LS advice