IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Replaced headlights, weird idling, problem solved - did I damage it?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-17, 08:15 PM
Beltayn
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Replaced headlights, weird idling, problem solved - did I damage it?

2006 Lexus IS250 AWD
Driver side headlight went out. They're HIDs. Lexus wanted 200 bucks just for the part. I bought a set of bulbs online for 40 bucks. Followed the guide and put them in myself. Lights work great. Had to remove the airbox to get to the passenger side light.

After finishing and restarting the car the idling was horrible. Car kept cutting out. Wouldn't idle. Erratic idling. Everything online said it had to 'relearn it's idling'. So I left it idling for 15 min and then took it for a drive. Almost got in an accident when it stalled in an intersection. Finally got it started again. Check engine and 'Check VSC' light came on. Got it back. Ended up taking the center engine cover off in desperation and noticed that when I'd moved the air intake aside ot get the box out I'd pulled off another pipe that connects on the air intake just after the airbox, but it was hidden by the central engine cover.

Popped that in. Car idled perfectly. Check engine light was still on. Unplugged the battery for 5 minutes to get rid of check engine light. Reset windows. Everything is great now. Car runs beautifully and headlights are really nice (I got the 8000k blueish ones - love them).

Question, could I have caused any damage by driving it with that pipe disconnected? I'm not sure what it's for but it pushes into the side of the air intake just under the central engine cover. It has a single wire clamp around.

Note car is running great. No check lights. Just worried I might have caused extra wear or something.
Old 10-19-17, 09:36 PM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

Received 768 Likes on 671 Posts

It will be fine. With the hose off you created a vaccum leak. Hence the car was running rough. Just make sure the hose is secure now.