Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Handicapped parking

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-17, 04:46 PM
Coleroad
Racer

Received 168 Likes on 142 Posts
Default Handicapped parking

interested in hearing opinions on it. I ask because I had a gentleman yell at me today because I parked in a handicap spot. Note, I do have a placard that is for me. He stated first if I can drive and get out of a sports car I don't need a handicap permit. Secondly if I could walk around the store , I can walk from anywhere in the lot. He didn't want to hear anything I had to say, he just talked over me so I just walked away. I've gotten dirty looks before when getting out of one of our sports cars in a handicap spot, but never a word said to me. I took a round while I was on active duty. It basically looks like I had a stroke. One reason I need a handicap spot is because I need to open the door fully to get my left foot out of the door. I have had my wife back the car out of a normal spot before just so I could get in. Second, when it's snowy/icy I have a real hard time with the unevenness and slippy conditions. So the shorter the walk the less likely I am to fall and since the front gets cleared better. I'm not upset, angry, or feel like I'm being discriminated. I'm to easy going for that kind of reaction. I'm able to most things I want yo, just somethings I have to do a little different. I'm just curious how others view handicap spaces.
Old 09-19-17, 04:58 PM
FastFord
Racer

Received 345 Likes on 261 Posts

Had it happen many times. I sit in my car while my wife runs in somewhere, people come over and say this spot is for handicap....I show them the placard and they usually apologize. I usually join my wife after a brief rest.I have had people say something when they see me getting out of the car that the spot is reserved for handicap. I thank them for pointing it out and say I am recovering from open heart surgery and am using the placard for a few weeks until I recover.

I used to find my Corvette was he best thing for my back after surgery....Just getting out of the thing was tough.... so I can relate to the looks and comments.

I just think they are looking out for someone that has a visible disability and don't know that some disabilities are not so obvious. You can just hobble like they think you should for a few steps until out of sight.
Old 09-19-17, 05:06 PM
Coleroad
Racer

Originally Posted by FastFord
Had it happen many times. I sit in my car while my wife runs in somewhere, people come over and say this spot is for handicap....I show them the placard and they usually apologize. I usually join my wife after a brief rest.I have had people say something when they see me getting out of the car that the spot is reserved for handicap. I thank them for pointing it out and say I am recovering from open heart surgery and am using the placard for a few weeks until I recover.

I used to find my Corvette was he best thing for my back after surgery....Just getting out of the thing was tough.... so I can relate to the looks and comments.

I just think they are looking out for someone that has a visible disability and don't know that some disabilities are not so obvious. You can just hobble like they think you should for a few steps until out of sight.
when I got hurt I was 21, I'm 47 now. That was the kind of looks and statements I got back then. Till they saw me get out and walk. Now that i have grey hair I don't get that look unless I'm in one of our sports cars. It was kinda funny because you would see the facial expressions change. I'm glad that people will speak up when they see misuse. Today's was just different.
Old 09-19-17, 05:19 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,756 Likes on 1,970 Posts

Pfft, forget these people. You have placard, you were injured serving our country, you should park wherever you want and wherever makes your life easier. What rule says people who need handicapped permits aren't allowed to drive sports cars?

I would tell people if they have a problem with it take it up with the authority that granted you the placard.

The nerve of some people...
Old 09-19-17, 05:25 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

you think you get dirty looks and asshats yelling at you for driving a sports car while being disabled.. Try riding a motorcycle that has disabled plates.

At the end of the day you don't have to answer to anyone, my attitude has always been if you have a problem with it call a cop, I have proper documentation and I am allowed to be in the spot, end of story.. I don't have to explain myself to anyone, and it is illegal for an officer to even ask what your injury is, all they can do is validate that you have the proper documentation and are legally allowed to be there.

and yes, disabled motorcycle plates do exist:

Last edited by mjeds; 09-19-17 at 05:35 PM.
Old 09-19-17, 05:28 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

If you, or anyone in the car riding with you, have a OFFICIAL Handicapped parking sticker or license plate, valid on the date that you use it (which, depending on state law, will require at least one or two Doctor-signatures and DMV approval), then it doesn't matter if you are driving a Miata or a school-bus LOL....you have a perfect right to park in any official handicapped space, any time, under any condition, as long as that space is open. It is none of his business...you would be justified in telling him to go jump in the lake, though I would be polite, for two reasons. First, simple human courtesy, even if that person himself or herself is not (one bad turn does not necessarily deserve another), and Second, in this day and age of instant road rage, you never know how someone is going to react....every day, you read about incidents in the news.

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-19-17 at 06:06 PM.
Old 09-19-17, 05:30 PM
Coleroad
Racer

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Pfft, forget these people. You have placard, you were injured serving our country, you should park wherever you want and wherever makes your life easier. What rule says people who need handicapped permits aren't allowed to drive sports cars?

I would tell people if they have a problem with it take it up with the authority that granted you the placard.

that's what through me for a loop today was the whole sports car thing, especially after he had already seen me walk. I'm mean how I walk does make it obvious. Most people as soon as they see me walk quit looking with scrutiny. It's not like when I was in college and would see people park in the handicap spot, grab their bag and take off on a full run for class. I just figured karma would eventually have its day. Wasn't worth me getting bent over it.
Old 09-19-17, 05:33 PM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 880 Likes on 663 Posts

That is an incredibly beautiful scoot!
Old 09-19-17, 05:35 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mcomer
That is an incredibly beautiful scoot!
thank you. 12 years old now.. wish I could ride it more than I do, less that 10K miles in 12 years..
Old 09-19-17, 05:35 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,756 Likes on 1,970 Posts

Originally Posted by Coleroad
that's what through me for a loop today was the whole sports car thing, especially after he had already seen me walk. I'm mean how I walk does make it obvious..
The guy was just an a-hole. His problem, not yours. Sorry you had to put up with that...
Old 09-19-17, 05:36 PM
Coleroad
Racer

Originally Posted by mjeds
you think you get dirty looks and asshats yelling at your for driving a sports car while being disabled.. Try riding a motorcycle that has disabled plates.

At the end of the day you don't have to answer to anyone, my attitude has always been if you have a problem with it call a cop, I have proper documentation and I am allowed to be in the spot, end of story.. I don't have to explain myself to anyone, and it is illegal for an officer to even ask what your injury is, all they can do is validate that you have the proper documentation and are legally allowed to be there.

and yes, disabled motorcycle plates do exist:

i totally get how one could qualify for a handicap plate and still tide a bike. I'm sure that one does throw some for a loop though. A handicap doesn't have to handicap every aspect of ones life.
Old 09-19-17, 06:18 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

i totally get how one could qualify for a handicap plate and still tide a bike. I'm sure that one does throw some for a loop though. A handicap doesn't have to handicap every aspect of ones life.
I had a motorcycle accident in 2003, I have 9 screws and 2 plates that hold my pelvis together and a Replacement Hip and partial femur. So while looking at me you can't see any "disability" I have internal injuries.. The qualifications for a disabled plaque (in CA) are pretty clear..
  • Restricted or loss of use of your legs or hands.
  • The inability to walk two blocks without resting
  • The permeant inability to walk unassisted (cane, crutches, walker, etc.)
  • Heart, lung, or circulatory disease.
  • Strokes or epilepsy.
  • Age and other forms of serious illness.

as I said, I don't have to answer to anyone about my injuries. it's none of their business. while I am glad some people are "looking out" to be sure the fakers aren't abusing the system, one should never assume any/everyone is faking just because of what they drive or because they don't "look" disabled.
Old 09-19-17, 06:49 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

I had a motorcycle accident in 2003, I have 9 screws and 2 plates that hold my pelvis together and a Replacement Hip and partial femur. So while looking at me you can't see any "disability" I have internal injuries.. The qualifications for a disabled plaque (in CA) are pretty clear..
  • Restricted or loss of use of your legs or hands.
  • The inability to walk two blocks without resting
  • The permeant inability to walk unassisted (cane, crutches, walker, etc.)
  • Heart, lung, or circulatory disease.
  • Strokes or epilepsy.
  • Age and other forms of serious illness.
as I said, I don't have to answer to anyone about my injuries. it's none of their business. while I am glad some people are "looking out" to be sure the fakers aren't abusing the system, one should never assume any/everyone is faking just because of what they drive or because they don't "look" disabled.
Sorry to hear about your injuries, and glad you pulled through them so well. Here's a perfect example of a guy who looked fine on the outside, but, underneath, ended up with more mechanical pieces than a robot.

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-19-17 at 06:57 PM.
Old 09-20-17, 05:55 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran
Forum Moderator

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

interested in hearing opinions on it. I ask because I had a gentleman yell at me today because I parked in a handicap spot. Note, I do have a placard that is for me. He stated first if I can drive and get out of a sports car I don't need a handicap permit. Secondly if I could walk around the store , I can walk from anywhere in the lot. He didn't want to hear anything I had to say, he just talked over me so I just walked away. I've gotten dirty looks before when getting out of one of our sports cars in a handicap spot, but never a word said to me. I took a round while I was on active duty. It basically looks like I had a stroke. One reason I need a handicap spot is because I need to open the door fully to get my left foot out of the door. I have had my wife back the car out of a normal spot before just so I could get in. Second, when it's snowy/icy I have a real hard time with the unevenness and slippy conditions. So the shorter the walk the less likely I am to fall and since the front gets cleared better. I'm not upset, angry, or feel like I'm being discriminated. I'm to easy going for that kind of reaction. I'm able to most things I want yo, just somethings I have to do a little different. I'm just curious how others view handicap spaces.
I too am a Disabled Combat Veteran. I also have handicap plates and placards for my vehicles. In TX, we get 1 set of plates and 2 placards, and we have to rotate the placards between vehicles if we need more than that. I can certainly relate to what you are saying and it makes me sick. While I have never had someone actually say something to me, I am waiting for the day it happens. I shattered 7 vertebrae, ruptured 6 discs, broke my pelvis, my right hip, 3 ribs and dislocated a shoulder in an IED strike. My injuries are very non-apparent aside from a slight limp, (and on bad days, cane use), to the average passerby.

Originally Posted by SW15LS

^this. If someone questioned me, they would find out very quickly how much of a mistake they made doing so. I already don't take kindly to strangers, I battle daily with a pretty good case of shell shock and pressing my buttons and getting me fired up doesn't do either of us any good. When you stop me on my way into a store, more than likely you are going to catch me off guard, which will put me in a state of panic/elevated response.

At the end of the day you don't have to answer to anyone, my attitude has always been if you have a problem with it call a cop, I have proper documentation and I am allowed to be in the spot, end of story.. I don't have to explain myself to anyone.

^Also this.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
If you, or anyone in the car riding with you, have a OFFICIAL Handicapped parking sticker or license plate, valid on the date that you use it (which, depending on state law, will require at least one or two Doctor-signatures and DMV approval), then it doesn't matter if you are driving a Miata or a school-bus LOL....you have a perfect right to park in any official handicapped space, any time, under any condition, as long as that space is open. It is none of his business...you would be justified in telling him to go jump in the lake, though I would be polite, for two reasons. First, simple human courtesy, even if that person himself or herself is not (one bad turn does not necessarily deserve another), and Second, in this day and age of instant road rage, you never know how someone is going to react....every day, you read about incidents in the news.
Which is why I have a Texas Concealed Handgun License, and I never leave home without my pistol. Someone should think twice about attacking anyone on a road, anywhere. But especially in Texas, where use of deadly force to defend oneself and one's property is both legal and often encouraged by LEO's. With that said, drawing my weapon will always be the last resort to any situation and I hope I never have to draw it. But rest assured if I do, I fully intend to fire it and eliminate the threat.

Last edited by ArmyofOne; 09-20-17 at 05:58 AM.
Old 09-20-17, 06:37 AM
Coleroad
Racer

Originally Posted by ArmyofOne
I too am a Disabled Combat Veteran. I also have handicap plates and placards for my vehicles. In TX, we get 1 set of plates and 2 placards, and we have to rotate the placards between vehicles if we need more than that. I can certainly relate to what you are saying and it makes me sick. While I have never had someone actually say something to me, I am waiting for the day it happens. I shattered 7 vertebrae, ruptured 6 discs, broke my pelvis, my right hip, 3 ribs and dislocated a shoulder in an IED strike. My injuries are very non-apparent aside from a slight limp, (and on bad days, cane use), to the average passerby
I'm sorry to hear that you have pstd on top of it. I can't imagine have to deal with that too.

to clarify, the gentleman wasn't threatening, he was just running off at the mouth. I wasn't angry, he was angry enough for both us. I left the situation puzzled, I wasn't sure why he was that way. I know I didn't need to try to explain to him, but I guess I thought it was trying to educate him on it. He just talked louder so I walked away.

Quick Reply: Handicapped parking