IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

List of issues you have had??

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-17, 07:07 AM
jeeper2269
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default List of issues you have had??

I would like to ask you guys to chime in and tell me what problems you have had with your cars..
Old 08-21-17, 08:04 AM
zhieson
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I kinda had the battery drain problem when I bought my 2014 IS350F but after taking it to the dealer it hasn't come back *knocks on wood*. I've put on about 15K miles since. No other problems so far!
Old 08-21-17, 12:39 PM
Sybaritic
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

- Battery drain 2x (Previous owner endured this, I'm getting Gateway ECU replaced soon as a TSB)
- Nav restarts on its own sometimes (firmware update completed, and so far so good)
- Intermittent clunk from the drivetrain when accelerating or when the transmission downshifts
- Front brake pads only last 25K miles (apparently normal)
- Premature outer front tire wear (that could just be from a bad alignment though)
- Musty smell from AC vents if you don't run the fan in Fresh Air mode with AC off after AC has been running

"The Pursuit of Perfection" is meaningless here, but it's still a good car overall and none of my issues impact its daily serviceability. It would be much worse with other makes.
Old 08-21-17, 12:42 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 173 Likes on 126 Posts

I've had no problems. I have two 2014 IS 250s and neither has been problematic.
Old 08-21-17, 12:58 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,559 Likes on 1,826 Posts

Originally Posted by Sybaritic
Right, if you have the F Sport brake pads, this isn't really an issue so much as an item that wears out quickly. I suppose it's good to know, but I wouldn't tell someone not to buy this car due to it.

For me the only issues have been related to interior rattles, all of which have been fixed. It runs like a champ - no major issues so far!
Old 08-21-17, 01:31 PM
nathantse
Lexus Test Driver

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Sybaritic
- Battery drain 2x (Previous owner endured this, I'm getting Gateway ECU replaced soon as a TSB)
- Nav restarts on its own sometimes (firmware update completed, and so far so good)
- Intermittent clunk from the drivetrain when accelerating or when the transmission downshifts
- Premature outer front tire wear (that could just be from a bad alignment though)
- Musty smell from AC vents if you don't run the fan in Fresh Air mode with AC off after AC has been running

"The Pursuit of Perfection" is meaningless here, but it's still a good car overall and none of my issues impact its daily serviceability. It would be much worse with other makes.
Its not longer "The Pursuit of Perfection", its now " Experience Amazing". Lol.

To OP, 21k odo bought brand new. '16 IS. No problems so far.

However, I did notice occasionally rattles/ticks when going over bad roads. Stock tires may need replacing soon (have to measure again).
Old 08-22-17, 06:29 AM
DAkid
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've only had one issue with mine so far. The "boost regulator" was not working as it should and I wasn't getting full boost at WOT. Dealer replaced the part and I have had no issues since.
Old 08-23-17, 12:45 PM
jay90011
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Only issue I've had so far are on my 2014 IS350 F-sport (58k miles)
1. Nav screen random reboots.
2. random rattles inside.
3. Sunroof weather stripping replacement. (I think my window tint installer messed it up but dealer replaced it under warranty. )

Maintenance besides oil change and filters
1. F-sport Front brakes - every 15k miles
2. F-sport Rear brakes - every 35k miles
3. Tires Oem replacement - 15k miles , switched to Hankook Evo2 on the last replacement so far 20k miles on them.
4. OEM Car Battery - replacement at 50k miles. (Usually OEM batteries crap out at the 3 year mark)
Old 08-23-17, 04:46 PM
texaspaid
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2 -

My analog clock in the dash would jump ahead 30 minutes or so repeatedly for months. Finally I gave up on it, left it as it is, then tried setting it to the correct time. It's been okay now for about the last two months. Very bizarre.

My sunroof has lost the auto-function for the second time. So to open or tilt the sunroof open or closed I have to hold the button down rather than just press it for a second.

2014 IS250
Old 08-23-17, 04:58 PM
TREYFIGGS
Driver School Candidate

Default This would be a perfect example

I dont know if thats actually stanced that way or hopefully its just REALLY bad shocks ....BWAAHAHAHAHA
Attached Thumbnails List of issues you have had??-20170823_112944.jpg  
Old 08-23-17, 05:05 PM
TREYFIGGS
Driver School Candidate

Then my dumbass posts the picture sideways.......LMAO
Old 08-23-17, 10:24 PM
vanillatag
Driver School Candidate

I am generally quite happy with my 2016 IS200T, there are a few parts that has to be replaced under warranty though.

Here is the list:
- Vacuum regulator (replaced twice under warranty)
- Driver side leather seat (replaced under warranty). I had obvious wear and tear on the driver side seat from normal use. Which it should not happen on a car only driven for less than a year. After doing some assessment, Lexus dealer determined it was an quality issue of the leather used on my driver seat. They replaced it with brand new leather on the seat without charge.
- Front brake pads are wearing out really fast. In less than 20K miles, there is nothing left on the front brake pads. I end up paying to replace them both. These OEM pads uses very soft compounds and expect them to worn out much faster than other cars.
Old 08-26-17, 10:36 AM
Olasek
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

No problems (at 15 K miles), knock on wood.
I have not seen any screen reboots in the last .. say 10 K miles.

I have just returned from Solar Eclipse watching in Oregon - put 2300 miles on the car ( went a bit extreme and did some other 'sightseeing' too).
Old 08-26-17, 11:20 AM
doodlebug
Instructor

Received 80 Likes on 71 Posts

I had severe navi reboots soon after purchase. It was determined that mine was corrupted and the whole unit was replaced in 2014.
I've had maybe two reboots or stuck screens since then - remedied with a reboot.
No other major issues; a few minor rattles on rough roads here and there. ~~ 45 months / 39,000 miles so far.
Old 08-27-17, 08:02 AM
nykos5000
Driver School Candidate

My car might be too new but hitting 6k miles and only the minor rattle from the window switch control with the bass up. I followed the remedy I found here for using electric tape to tape both parts together inside the door and that has somewhat helped. Besides that everything has been rock solid. My BMWs definitely had way more rattles at this point in mileage than the IS.

Quick Reply: List of issues you have had??