IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Wheel rub issue after camber arms?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-17, 05:35 PM
SceneAmati
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Wheel rub issue after camber arms?

I have a 2015 IS350 F-Sport AWD.
- Lowered on RS*R Down springs
- Velgen VMB5 Wheels
- 19x9 front / +35 Offset 235/35/19
- 19x10.5 rear / +45 Offset 265/30/19

I am experiencing inside tire wear in the rear, and I plan on purchasing the SPC Camber Arms. Will adjusting the camber closer to stock increase my risk with rubbing? So far, I haven't had any issues with rubbing. Roads here get fairly bumpy too
Old 08-17-17, 05:49 PM
jkonquer
Instructor

Received 79 Likes on 64 Posts

There are few other forums on this topic. so please search.

With that said, camber arm should help a little with wear but it won't get rid of the inner wear since it is a toe issue.
Old 08-17-17, 06:06 PM
specONE
Racer

Received 487 Likes on 246 Posts

Yes if you try to zero out the camber to near factory then you will change the angle of the wheel in relation to the fender and may rub.

Did you align your vehicle after lowering it?
TOE eats tire faster than Camber

I recommend getting an alignment to fix the Toe.
Old 08-17-17, 08:04 PM
SceneAmati
Driver

I did get it aligned after I first lowered it. Experienced inside tire wear. Hmm.
Old 08-17-17, 09:19 PM
specONE
Racer

Received 487 Likes on 246 Posts

sounds like you are one of those
take a look at this thread and chime in, you guys have a mystery to solve together
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...tire-wear.html
Old 08-18-17, 04:48 AM
SceneAmati
Driver

I think I am going to go to a shop and have my alignment checked out and I will report back with the alignment numbers.
Old 08-18-17, 04:56 AM
otakusan
Intermediate

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by SceneAmati
I think I am going to go to a shop and have my alignment checked out and I will report back with the alignment numbers.
that's a good idea, if your first alignment was done right after lowering the car, the springs may have settled over time causing the toe to have changed enough to eat your tires up.
Old 08-18-17, 08:02 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,080 Likes on 1,571 Posts

As said your camber is less likely to be an issue. If you're experiencing excessive inner tire wear, the first thing you want to try (assuming you have respectable camber no more negative than -2 to -2.5) is 0 out your toe.

camber + toe eats tires. not just camber.

If you slammed your car without doing an alignment, then you're probably toed in and need to toe back out with an alignment.

Even for me, if i have a choice, I toe in on purpose for stability. I don't care if it causes excessive wear. Cause this is how BMWs are set up from the factory and i've learned with a performance sedan, tire wear is just something you live with. Besides i don't want my tires to last too long anyway. dry hard tires is bad.
Old 08-18-17, 08:49 AM
jkonquer
Instructor

Received 79 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by E46CT
As said your camber is less likely to be an issue. If you're experiencing excessive inner tire wear, the first thing you want to try (assuming you have respectable camber no more negative than -2 to -2.5) is 0 out your toe.

camber + toe eats tires. not just camber.

If you slammed your car without doing an alignment, then you're probably toed in and need to toe back out with an alignment.

Even for me, if i have a choice, I toe in on purpose for stability. I don't care if it causes excessive wear. Cause this is how BMWs are set up from the factory and i've learned with a performance sedan, tire wear is just something you live with. Besides i don't want my tires to last too long anyway. dry hard tires is bad.

didn't you say it was due to incorrectly installing the springs? something to do with the bushings?

If it is a inner tire wear than he has a toe out or negative toe issue, but most people with lowered IS' have toe in on their alignment.
Old 08-18-17, 12:01 PM
SikhSipahi
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Your setup is pretty aggressive to begin with. Post some images of the car side and back where we can see the tires.
Old 08-22-17, 09:38 AM
SceneAmati
Driver

Sorry for neglecting this thread for a few days... I am dropping the vehicle off at the dealership for an alignment in an hour and a half. I will see if they can give me the before and after alignment numbers and report back..

I'm about to grab a picture of the rear wheels as well how they're sitting right now.
Old 08-22-17, 09:42 AM
SceneAmati
Driver

Old 08-22-17, 10:47 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 173 Likes on 126 Posts

that looks normal for our setups. if you want it to look like that, or have the same wheels, or have the same size wheels, you're likely going to rub if you align the (rear) tires to 0 which isn't possible with your setup, but may be with spc camber arms.
Old 08-22-17, 10:51 AM
SceneAmati
Driver

Understandable. Just dropped my car off. I'll report back with alignment numbers before and after.
Old 08-22-17, 12:23 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 173 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by SceneAmati
Understandable. Just dropped my car off. I'll report back with alignment numbers before and after.
please do! my car is having similar issues with a lot of negative camber but I don't want to ruin the look of the car by raising it (I have RS*R coilovers). I think adding in camber arms will solve one problem but create another (rubbing along the fender liner) and raising the height of the car (specifically for me). there is also the problem with toe. ugh, what have I gotten myself into!?!

Quick Reply: Wheel rub issue after camber arms?