RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Rear Spoiler Squeaking-Fix

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-17, 01:47 PM
FastFord
Racer

Received 345 Likes on 261 Posts
Default Rear Spoiler Squeaking-Fix

I know it was mentioned in another thread, but was probably part of some other topic.

My rear spoiler squeaked when going over a curb, and especially when polishing or waxing the car. Left side corner, attached to the rear hatch. Right side was fine.

So I had to go into Lexus to get some ECU update for the hatch, so I asked them to fix the spoiler. Rather than them driving the car I took the Service advisor out to the bay so he could hear and see where the problem was.

Couple of hours later, ECU done and the spoiler fixed. Re/Re spoiler, insulate mounting/contact points was on the invoice.

If you have this issue, there is a fix.

Happy day!
Old 08-17-17, 08:43 PM
yardbird88
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Fastford:

Can you post the invoice so I can show the dealer to fix the left rear side spoiler. I got the same problem. Thanks.
Old 08-18-17, 08:10 AM
FastFord
Racer

Originally Posted by yardbird88
Fastford:

Can you post the invoice so I can show the dealer to fix the left rear side spoiler. I got the same problem. Thanks.
I think I remember...it was you that had this problem! I'll scan the invoice and post it....Might take a while as I am not that bright and my scanner hates me.
Old 08-18-17, 08:16 AM
FastFord
Racer

labor & parts
j# 1 73lezz18 rear spoiler hours: 1.90 tech(s):60 warranty
condition: Reported rattle from rear spoiler when driving.
cause: Interference between spoiler and tail gateofp# 76085-0e916correction: Re/re spoiler,insulated mounting/contact points
760991 1.9parts------qty---fp-number---------------description--------------------unit price-job # 1 1 08231-00801-wa obs warrantyjob # 1 total parts 0.00job # 1 total labor & parts 0.00

I'll try this again, but here is some info

Last edited by FastFord; 08-18-17 at 08:19 AM. Reason: looks bad
Old 08-18-17, 08:32 AM
FastFord
Racer

maybe this worked????
Attached Thumbnails Rear Spoiler Squeaking-Fix-invoice-spoiler-2-.jpeg  
The following users liked this post:
yardbird88 (08-18-17)
Old 08-18-17, 11:23 AM
yardbird88
Driver

Originally Posted by FastFord
maybe this worked????
Thanks a lot.

I will be going for 5k service next month. Meter is at 3,700 now.
BTW, The ECU of the tailgate, is that a recall? I bought the suv in April and haven't received anything from Lexus. When did U buy yours RX?

PS. Graduate of U of Waterloo, 82 (not far from your place, Ontario)
Old 08-18-17, 11:33 AM
FastFord
Racer

The tailgate issue was for a few during some period of manufacture. Mine just happened to be in that batch. It does not affect too many rx's. My old one worked fine and never had any issues. I purchased my RX in April, I think, and it was made in January 2016. I wouldn't worry about your RX as it was resolved way before yours was built.

My Kid went to Western (London), down the road from Waterloo. I'm in Ottawa and don't miss the 7 hour drive to bring her groceries etc. hahaha

Oh and you have my next RX F sport Atomic 450H with Roja
Old 08-18-17, 09:14 PM
lexnewbi
Intermediate

Received 125 Likes on 89 Posts

Thanks a lot.

I will be going for 5k service next month. Meter is at 3,700 now.
BTW, The ECU of the tailgate, is that a recall? I bought the suv in April and haven't received anything from Lexus. When did U buy yours RX?

PS. Graduate of U of Waterloo, 82 (not far from your place, Ontario)
I bought my RX last November. The rear hatch creaked since day one on uneven roads. I took to the Lexus dealer and they stated they could not reproduce the problem and gave it back. When I got home, just started applying pressure around the hatch. I realized is the side spoiler was rubbing against the top spoiler. So, I loosened the bolts under the plastic cover in the inside, place a little piece of rubber where the two plastics meet, retightened the bolts, and took care of the issue. This was much faster than driving 30 minutes to the dealer.

So so far I have not been impressed with dealer service.
The following users liked this post:
yardbird88 (08-19-17)
Old 08-19-17, 12:04 AM
yardbird88
Driver

Smile

Originally Posted by lexnewbi
I bought my RX last November. The rear hatch creaked since day one on uneven roads. I took to the Lexus dealer and they stated they could not reproduce the problem and gave it back. When I got home, just started applying pressure around the hatch. I realized is the side spoiler was rubbing against the top spoiler. So, I loosened the bolts under the plastic cover in the inside, place a little piece of rubber where the two plastics meet, retightened the bolts, and took care of the issue. This was much faster than driving 30 minutes to the dealer.

That's Good! Mine was only the left side spoiler rubbing against the top spoiler. I try what you did but with the furniture's foot pad and it does stop most of the creaking noise between the 2 plastic spoilers. That save me an hour at the dealer. A happy camper when I wash my car without that annoying creaking noise. Thanks.

Last edited by yardbird88; 08-19-17 at 12:12 AM.
Old 08-19-17, 04:52 AM
FastFord
Racer

Originally Posted by lexnewbi

Funny that we have similar experiences with the dealer not able to re-produce problems. This time I just showed them before leaving. Didn't even have to drive the car....just push the spoiler. Glad you got yours fixed. I didn't realize just how much it did squeak when driving now that it is fixed. Yea!
Old 08-19-17, 08:20 AM
lexnewbi
Intermediate

Received 125 Likes on 89 Posts

That's Good! Mine was only the left side spoiler rubbing against the top spoiler. I try what you did but with the furniture's foot pad and it does stop most of the creaking noise between the 2 plastic spoilers. That save me an hour at the dealer. A happy camper when I wash my car without that annoying creaking noise. Thanks.
Yes, the left side was a lot worse than right side! I used a piece of rubber door weatherstrip.
Old 02-23-21, 10:46 AM
Krishh
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Guys,

I have 2021 Rx and i am hearing some clicking sounds from the rear end. It happens more when the weather is warm. When i press the top right corner of the rear windshield, its producing some squeaking sounds. Did you guys have the similar issue?....I guess its coming from the side spoiler.