Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Genesis after the first year.

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-17, 07:05 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Wandl
For me, the biggest let down of the 2013-17 LS hasn't been the interior necessarily (it has always been above average, if not excellent) but rather some features I really care about that are readily available in Toyota's "regular" vehicles such as lane departure, adaptive cruise.
I always thought the LS460 had these features are standard equipment. Learned something new today.
Old 06-19-17, 07:50 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,589 Likes on 1,864 Posts

The LS460 is missing that stuff as standard just because it's so old. Those options are standard now on the ES, but a $7k option on the LS.
Old 06-19-17, 03:33 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,196 Likes on 1,427 Posts

Originally Posted by Wandl
My only concern with the G80/G90 remains the long-term reliability....I'm not doubting them necessarily as Kia/Hyundai has made big strides with mechanical reliability over the past decade though.
most luxury cars are leased for 3 years, so most buyer won't care about 'long term'.
Old 06-27-17, 08:23 AM
silversprucesc3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good points..... Even owning a Genesis I believe they still have a Loooonnngggg road ahead. With additions of the G70 it will make things interesting. Lexus has been a benchmark for quality since day 1 and being Genesis brand is derived from Hyundai which had a stigma of poor quality early on seems to resonate with folks in my age group.
There was a question if Genesis products were equally priced to Lexus, BMW and Benz would I still buy.... the answer is sadly no.
Old 06-27-17, 10:43 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 85 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by silversprucesc3
Good points..... Even owning a Genesis I believe they still have a Loooonnngggg road ahead. With additions of the G70 it will make things interesting. Lexus has been a benchmark for quality since day 1 and being Genesis brand is derived from Hyundai which had a stigma of poor quality early on seems to resonate with folks in my age group.
There was a question if Genesis products were equally priced to Lexus, BMW and Benz would I still buy.... the answer is sadly no.
What people have to understand, though, is that Genesis products are not derived from poor-quality Hyundais (those days are long-gone).......any more than Lexus products are derived from poor-quality Toyotas.
Old 06-27-17, 12:37 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by silversprucesc3
Genesis brand is derived from Hyundai which had a stigma of poor quality early on seems to resonate with folks in my age group.
I agree with you. I said it a while back. The Hyundai brand which as a "brand" is not on the same level playing field as Toyota or Chevrolet.
Genesis will suffer because of that. The only way Genesis will succeed is if they make cars that are better than Lexus or a comparable alternative for less money.
Old 06-27-17, 02:06 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 85 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
The only way Genesis will succeed is if they make cars that are better than Lexus or a comparable alternative for less money.
Auto companies can do that left and right, but it does no good if people won't at least go look at them. There are, unfortunately, a number of people whose perceptions of Hyundai/Kia vehicles are clearly 15-20 years out of date, but they refuse to do what they NEED to do to see the truth.....go look at them. In this case, sometimes you can't even lead the horse to water, much get him or her to drink.
Old 06-27-17, 04:50 PM
sorptd
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
The LS460 is missing that stuff as standard just because it's so old. Those options are standard now on the ES, but a $7k option on the LS.
Not sure how much of this will be standard or offered in the US market. But Toyota did recently announce host of advance safety tech for the new LS 500 including digital rear view mirror & PCS with Pedestrian Alert and Active Steering Assist

Source: http://newsroom.toyota.co.jp/en/detail/17277139

Last edited by sorptd; 06-27-17 at 04:53 PM.
Old 06-27-17, 07:14 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 454 Likes on 299 Posts

Back in late 2014 when the current gen Hyundai Genesis was first released, the front was stylish, while the tail and the interior was a trifle bland.
Hyundai Genesis was a bit oversized, bit too heavy and too thirsty to handle well, but rode well and well equipped, such that I gave it a miss for 2015 4GS.
However, by 2017, I'm beginning to warm to Genesis G80, esp its styling.
Tail and interior still a trifle bland.
3.3 V6 Twin Turbo welcome.

The Genesis G80's rear is dying for a bit of chrome trim - say above the rear number plate.
Without this rear chrome trim, G80's rear looks a little bland and cheap.
With just a bit of chrome, it could actually look better than my 2015 4GS.

Genesis G80 V6's polygonal exhaust tips don't have a sweet shape like 4GS; rather, G80's polygonal exhaust tips look cheap.
Meanwhile G80 V8's quad oval exhaust tips look old school and passe.

Now, it's just the bigger all new full size Genesis G90 that looks too conservative and stodgy for me. Especially the tail and the interior.
Styling is ok, but it's even more conservative and more old school, and takes me even longer to get used to than G80.
G90 makes the G80 look all the better, and all the more contemporary, as opposed to being old fashioned...

Last edited by peteharvey; 06-28-17 at 08:41 AM.
Old 06-27-17, 07:31 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If there any doubts about Initial Quality Scores on Hyundai/Kia products I can't imagine that there is a question about some sort of "stigma" merely because of 1980's and 90's era history. Those were different times. Today the numbers speak for themselves on JD Power and Consumer Reports. Essentially the long term (3 years or more) champs are Toyota/Lexus but that doesn't mean that Hyundai/Kia won't overtake those vehicles three years from now.

Already Hyundai/Kia have shown themselves to be imaginative with their styling and drive train choices. They did this and at the same time made sure to keep their vehicles reliable and well built. It's not 1989 anymore. All vehicles are better now. Back then Toyota had an advantage as did all Japanese car makers. And today's real customers are younger people - and they have no idea about any bad history from Hyundai/Kia. They buy what works for them. Just like young people in the 1980's and 90's ditched domestic Detroit and German brands for the Japanese vehicles.

If you're a badge snob... well that comes down to paying extra for something you perceive to be of extra value. It's all about perception and value.
Old 06-27-17, 08:49 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by sorptd
Not sure how much of this will be standard or offered in the US market. But Toyota did recently announce host of advance safety tech for the new LS 500 including digital rear view mirror & PCS with Pedestrian Alert and Active Steering Assist

Source: http://newsroom.toyota.co.jp/en/detail/17277139
The new LS is going to have a digital rear view like the CT6
Old 06-28-17, 07:08 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MattyG
Already Hyundai/Kia have shown themselves to be imaginative with their styling and drive train choices. They did this and at the same time made sure to keep their vehicles reliable and well built. It's not 1989 anymore. All vehicles are better now. Back then Toyota had an advantage as did all Japanese car makers. And today's real customers are younger people - and they have no idea about any bad history from Hyundai/Kia. They buy what works for them. Just like young people in the 1980's and 90's ditched domestic Detroit and German brands for the Japanese vehicles.
You make some valid point. However, while Hyundai is getting better with all of there products, so has Toyota. Honda has not had the growth like Toyota or Hyundai have. Toyota/Lexus last year sold 2.4 million vehicles, Honda/Acura 1.7 and Hyundai/KIA had about 1.4. Toyota is selling 1 million more vehicles than they did 15 years ago, Hyundai about 1.1 million more. The biggest loser is General Motors which sold almost 5 million vehicles 15 years ago while they sell about 3 million today.
Old 06-28-17, 07:17 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,589 Likes on 1,864 Posts

I actually disagree that Toyota has been getting better. I think the quality of their products has been in a substantial slide over the last 10 years, signs of that reversing some but it remains to be seen.

Just because something sells a lot doesn't mean it's the best. In my experience, mediocrity sells and Toyotas have been decidedly mediocre.
Old 06-28-17, 07:19 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 621 Likes on 431 Posts

I'm going to make a MM type complaint now. I'm building the G80 on the Genesis website and there are 7 exterior color options. They are (in order) white, gray, dark gray, black, silver gray, brown, and a dark grayish blue. Can I get a brighter blue or a red here Hyundai?
Old 06-28-17, 07:23 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,604 Likes on 1,022 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
I actually disagree that Toyota has been getting better. I think the quality of their products has been in a substantial slide over the last 10 years, signs of that reversing some but it remains to be seen.

Just because something sells a lot doesn't mean it's the best. In my experience, mediocrity sells and Toyotas have been decidedly mediocre.
I'm a huge fan and supporter or Toyota, but I am starting to see this too. It wasn't that long ago that Toyota pretty much never had recalls, whereas they have them all of the time now.

My dad's 2015 Tacoma has been parked at the dealership for over 2 months waiting for a recall fix from Toyota. There was a time when that wouldn't happen with a Toyota.

Fortunately for me, all of my recent Toyota vehicles have been phenomenal, but Toyota definitely seems to be having challenges I don't recall seeing before.

Quick Reply: Genesis after the first year.