RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Dash replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-17, 07:27 AM
TrueTexan
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Dash replacement

Hey all my fellow Lexus lovers! I'm scheduled to take my RX350 in next couple of weekw (5/11/2017) to have the free dash replacement that hopefully everyone knows about by now. My question is, can I have them replace the dashboard as well, and put one in that has an auxiliary port and a USB port? I would also love to have the heat/ac controls NOT on-screen, but rather, with *****/buttons. It's dangerous having to take my eyes off the road to change the settings. Other than those two things, I refuse to give up my '09 RX350.

Thanks!
Old 04-28-17, 09:08 AM
mdbrown
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by TrueTexan
Hey all my fellow Lexus lovers! I'm scheduled to take my RX350 in next couple of weekw (5/11/2017) to have the free dash replacement that hopefully everyone knows about by now. My question is, can I have them replace the dashboard as well, and put one in that has an auxiliary port and a USB port? I would also love to have the heat/ac controls NOT on-screen, but rather, with *****/buttons. It's dangerous having to take my eyes off the road to change the settings. Other than those two things, I refuse to give up my '09 RX350.

Thanks!
I would say no, not possible. First of all, even if the options existed for your model they are long out of manufacturer. That said, there was never an option for what you want, the readouts for climate control either displayed on the two-tone LCD readout if you didn't have nav or on the nav screen if you do. As far as I know, for the 2nd gen RX there we never an auxiliary input or usb port available so no, they cannot add it and again even if they could it's unlikely the specific dash pieces would be available anymore.
Old 04-30-17, 07:33 AM
RedGemini
Pole Position

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

Definite no go on the climate control buttons. As for AUX and USB, even IF those parts would be available, it would be SUPER expensive to have a dealer do the swap, think thousands of dollars. There are much better and CHEAPER aftermarket alternatives available to add USB and AUX. Check www.gromaudio.com to see what they offer. There's most likely an option from that company for under $200, and install shouldn't be too difficult or time consuming.
Old 05-02-17, 08:25 PM
TrueTexan
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RedGemini
Definite no go on the climate control buttons. As for AUX and USB, even IF those parts would be available, it would be SUPER expensive to have a dealer do the swap, think thousands of dollars. There are much better and CHEAPER aftermarket alternatives available to add USB and AUX. Check www.gromaudio.com to see what they offer. There's most likely an option from that company for under $200, and install shouldn't be too difficult or time consuming.
Thanks MD and Red. I already asked the dealership if they could do anything and your answers are correct, sadly. I'm so disappointed that a quality vehicle like Lexus would have waited so much longer than most other lesser-dealers to add these very popular amenities. Guess I'll keep using my Monster Cable.
Old 05-03-17, 10:37 AM
takeshi74
Advanced

Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

Given that our 400h has a tape deck, I wouldn't be expecting AUX or USB from Lexus. It's surprising that it even has Bluetooth for calls.

As stated above, for inputs look to the aftermarket. There are a lot of interfaces that are very easy to install. You just have to watch those bolts that secure the head unit when you remove them or you'll lose them and never be able to retrieve them.
Old 05-03-17, 12:48 PM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

The 2009 RX350 belongs to the 2nd generation RX that started in 2003 (for model year 2004). The technology and the audio offerings at that time is quite different.

You do have a good engine though 3.5 Liter. I believe starting 2008, they switched from 3.3 to 3.5. Both engines are robust, the 3.5 has a few more horses. Having said that, for a while the 3.0 was the working engine for a while, too.

We have learned early on that we can add an input on the head unit to be able to play our phones through the receiver. There are threads on this, and the cost has gone down substantially. I do have Bluetooth on my 2004 RX330 and I cannot complain. I did not spend a fortune too.