Suspension Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, etc.

Advice F-Sport or Swift Springs

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-17, 07:24 AM
L's TLS
Pit Crew

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Advice F-Sport or Swift Springs

About to change my struts and springs on my 07 RWD GS350. Wondering if I should go with Swift Sport Springs or F-Sport Springs. These will be going on KYB struts. I already have F-Sport sway bars, and looking to get USRS soon as well.

Any advice is appreciated.
Old 04-26-17, 04:43 PM
KevGS460ML
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have just installed F-Sport springs and and shocks. The car rides rougher now than my 911. I don't know anything about the other brands you mentioned.
Old 04-26-17, 07:52 PM
Sodium
Lead Lap

Received 65 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by L's TLS
About to change my struts and springs on my 07 RWD GS350. Wondering if I should go with Swift Sport Springs or F-Sport Springs. These will be going on KYB struts. I already have F-Sport sway bars, and looking to get USRS soon as well.

Any advice is appreciated.
Both should be high quality, so it depends what you're going for – if you mostly want less wheel gap, go with whichever ones lower the car more (or get coilovers). If you want to improve handling, you'll get better results by keeping the stock springs and putting that money towards the USRS, or a set of Michelin Super Sport or Pilot Sport 4S tires

Also, I've read here before that F-Sport sway bars do more to improve handling than the springs do
Old 04-26-17, 08:14 PM
Sodium
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by KevGS460ML
I have just installed F-Sport springs and and shocks. The car rides rougher now than my 911. I don't know anything about the other brands you mentioned.
To be fair though, that's has a lot more to do with the shocks than the springs

Haha does it handle better than the 911 now too?
Old 04-27-17, 04:34 AM
L's TLS
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by KevGS460ML
I've been looking for the FSport shocks but no luck, so figured I'd just go with the KYBs. That sucks about the rough ride. If this wasn't my daily I would go all out.
Originally Posted by Sodium
Both should be high quality, so it depends what you're going for – if you mostly want less wheel gap, go with whichever ones lower the car more (or get coilovers). If you want to improve handling, you'll get better results by keeping the stock springs and putting that money towards the USRS, or a set of Michelin Super Sport or Pilot Sport 4S tires

Also, I've read here before that F-Sport sway bars do more to improve handling than the springs do
I have the Pilot Sport tires and I'm likely going to order the USRS at the same time. The car handles fairly well with the sway bars and tires, and with it being RWD the wheel gap isn't too bad. I just want something that will complement the rest of the components I'm getting while not giving a bone jarring ride. I also figured since I'm changing the shocks also, I might as well upgrade the springs while I'm at it.

Sodium, we actually have the same color combo and drivetrain except mine is an 07. I had checked out your thread on the USRS a week or so ago and it's what convinced me to grab those as well.
Old 04-27-17, 12:12 PM
Sodium
Lead Lap

Glad to know that thread helped! Haha maybe RR-Racing will give me a commission

If you want the F-Sport shocks, you can get them at lexuspartsnow.com, the part numbers are:
And you definitely have good taste, BSP/cashmere is a great color combo! The only things I would change about it would be to have the steering wheel and dash in black, and have contrast stitching on the upholstery
Old 04-27-17, 12:42 PM
L's TLS
Pit Crew

They should! Not too many people over on the 3GS side with them. Never heard of them until I saw your thread and then saw the 2IS guys are all over it.

Thanks for the link. I would jump on it but KevGS460ML kinda deterred me haha, plus I pulled the trigger on the KYB's this morning. Still debating the springs but I'll buy those next week.

You have good taste as well! I would change the exact same things. I've been looking into getting the seats customized with something similar and less easy to dirty. I already painted the plastic inserts a metallic brown to match the wood grain and found Lexus mats that match the dash. Helps with the monotone tan and darken the interior a bit.
Old 04-28-17, 02:20 AM
Sodium
Lead Lap

Oh don't let Kev talk you out of the shocks! Keep in mind that he has a 460 – the V8 is heavier than the V6, so the same pothole will apply more force to his front suspension than ours (it wouldn't surprise me if his 8-speed tranny also had a few extra pounds over our lowly 6-speeds, but I can't be sure since I haven't seen the data). Then there are all the other variables that we can't control for – tire type and size, inflation pressure, road condition, perception of "roughness", etc. – that may contribute to the roughness he reports. Haha or maybe the 911 just has a damn smooth ride!

Yeah I got rid of those tan mats too, but I replaced them with the black F-sport mats. And I've never thought of painting the plastic bits, but that would look very good! Haha of course it's also something I'll never do since cosmetic work is definitely not one of my strengths
Old 04-28-17, 03:32 AM
LoveThatV8
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So with 2 years after riding on the DF210 springs, I could already tell my shocks gave out due to the clunky noise over bumps. My front right is slightly higher than normal, that's is also a tell tale sign that it gave out. With drop springs, sooner or later the shocks will give up. Thinking about coilovers now, but then later I want bags... lol. There's always something after that.
Old 04-28-17, 04:55 AM
L's TLS
Pit Crew

Oh don't let Kev talk you out of the shocks! Keep in mind that he has a 460 – the V8 is heavier than the V6, so the same pothole will apply more force to his front suspension than ours (it wouldn't surprise me if his 8-speed tranny also had a few extra pounds over our lowly 6-speeds, but I can't be sure since I haven't seen the data). Then there are all the other variables that we can't control for – tire type and size, inflation pressure, road condition, perception of "roughness", etc. – that may contribute to the roughness he reports. Haha or maybe the 911 just has a damn smooth ride!

Yeah I got rid of those tan mats too, but I replaced them with the black F-sport mats. And I've never thought of painting the plastic bits, but that would look very good! Haha of course it's also something I'll never do since cosmetic work is definitely not one of my strengths
Haha! very true, Maybe in another 50K I'll swap out to the F Sport when the GS gets retired from daily duty. Traveling into downtown DC everyday, I see my fair share of crappy roads.

Again great minds think alike. I was looking into those F-Sport mats as well but found the ones I got for a steal.

Originally Posted by LoveThatV8
So with 2 years after riding on the DF210 springs, I could already tell my shocks gave out due to the clunky noise over bumps. My front right is slightly higher than normal, that's is also a tell tale sign that it gave out. With drop springs, sooner or later the shocks will give up. Thinking about coilovers now, but then later I want bags... lol. There's always something after that.
Yea man, if I don't go with the F-Sport shocks, I will go with coilovers after these give out. My car is a little uneven too. But I've had it jack stands for about a month until I complete my brake upgrade and install these shocks and springs.
Old 04-28-17, 04:03 PM
KevGS460ML
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

To be fair though, that's has a lot more to do with the shocks than the springs
Haha does it handle better than the 911 now too?
I think both the shocks and springs are contributors. Remember, the springs are about 1" shorter than stock so it's inevitable it would have less give, and bounce more.
Handle better than the 911? haha. The reason I swapped them out was because my son is going to put 19's on as soon as I get my Panamera GTS, which is probably coming out at the end of this year. So, with the 19's, the car needs to be lowered to look good.

I've been looking for the FSport shocks but no luck, so figured I'd just go with the KYBs.
I got a steal of a deal. F-sport shocks and springs for $850 shipped. My mechanic only charged me $300 to install and align. Let me know if you still want them, and I will post the info. They are brand new from a Lexus dealer.

I would jump on it but KevGS460ML kinda deterred me haha, plus I pulled the trigger on the KYB's this morning.
Definitely do not let me deter you please. My son thinks it rides fine, but it's just too rough for me. But, I was very surprised that it rides rougher than the 911 in normal mode. I don't remember how the 911 rides in the sport mode since it has been a while since I switched it on.
Old 05-30-17, 06:24 AM
L's TLS
Pit Crew

Kev- Thanks for the offer. I almost bit the bullet on the F-Sports but ultimately went with KYB struts and the Tanabe Springs. Had them installed and the car looks much sportier now, and rides better than it did on the factory stuff. No rubbing with G-Spyder 18" wheels (yet) as I'm still waiting on them to settle. All in all, I'm happy with my decision. I'll post pics soon.