LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Anybody have experience with Audi's ??

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-17, 07:06 AM
LS430FL
Instructor

Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts
Default Anybody have experience with Audi's ??

I have a close friend in my neighborhood that has 4 cars. He just bought his wife a new jaguar convertible (which makes 5 cars). I got to talking with him yesterday and asked him if he ever sold his Porsche because he was looking to thin out his small collection. He said he hadn't but now he also has an extra Audi because he got his wife the jag. Long story short, I told him I was considering a convertible as a spare care and he offered the Audi to me. He said he normally wouldn't like selling a car to a friend, but this car is a no nonsense car that has been great. He is the original owner, bought brand new from the local Audi dealer. The car is a 2005 Red Audi A4 convertible 3.0 with sport package. Red with tan interior and 63,000 original miles. Only issue he tells me is that it has the very common glove box hinge issue, so it will need a new hinge. Quick research shows this is common issue and easy fix. Says he would sell it to me for $4500. What are your thoughts? Anyone have any experience with this era of Audi? Seem like a good deal. It appears he is selling it to me for under market value based on some research. All perspectives are welcome. I never take offense to any opinion. Thanks
Old 04-22-17, 08:09 AM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

I'm not going to say it's going to be trouble free as these Audis have their quirks, espcecially older ones like this, but for $4500 it's a steal. Might need a timing belt, but for a good condition low mileage convertible, that's a good deal. If I recall, out of all the Audi engines the 3.0 is seen as the most reliable one, didn't have the sludge problems of the 2.0 and isn't the complete nightmare that is the 2.7 twin turbo.

Last edited by RXGS; 04-22-17 at 08:16 AM.
Old 04-22-17, 09:27 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 355 Likes on 245 Posts

Cam lobe wear is the biggest problem, but more so on earlier 3.0's. However if you hear a tick noise at idle, walk away.

You're going to probably be replacing suspension bushings (don't assume that'll be easy or cheap either), and a timing belt...coolant sensors, coil packs. But overall I hear they are one of the better engines they made. Keep in mind it's not going to be like owning a Toyota, Lexus, Nissan, etc...these cars can cost a little more. Lol.

I'd say if the cams are good go for it
Old 04-22-17, 12:35 PM
LS430FL
Instructor

Appreciate it. I was thinking about offering $3K or $3.5K and see what he says just for the hell of it. I mean what's $1K or so between friends. sounds like I won't get hurt too bad either way.
Old 04-22-17, 03:27 PM
Kennyr44
Lead Lap

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

If you only drive it for fun you won't get hurt it will be fine. If you plan on using it as a daily driver you will get hurt badly.
Old 04-22-17, 04:19 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LS430FL
Appreciate it. I was thinking about offering $3K or $3.5K and see what he says just for the hell of it. I mean what's $1K or so between friends. sounds like I won't get hurt too bad either way.
Yes, nothing is wiser than offering a friend in the neighborhood a grand less than the sweet deal he's already offering you...does wonders for conversation at cookouts and Tupperware parties
Old 04-22-17, 04:54 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

I was going say, $4500 is a steal and at that price it's better to say no than haggle. $4500 is what thrashed high mileage ones go for.
Old 04-22-17, 06:02 PM
LS430FL
Instructor

I was just kidding about the money between friends I agree it might be a good price. Do you all agree with KBB values? I looked up the value and the private party sale on the car is $4,162 fair and $4,564 for good condition. Went to look at the car today. Its alright, but it is a used car for sure. Not exactly what I expected but then again it is 12 years old. All 4 rims have large amounts of curb rash. Paint seems nice with one ding. Top seems newer. Inside needs a really good cleaning. Leather and trim is very very dirty. Headlights are cloudy. Glove box needs to be fixed or replaced when you open it the hinges are shot so it just falls off. Thing that scared me the worst is that when putting top down it got stuck half way and had to be put down and then up manually and reset and now is working fine. I would think this places the car is the Fair- good category....
Old 04-24-17, 12:16 AM
Gbp
Lexus Champion

Received 60 Likes on 56 Posts

Dumb question perhaps, but why not pay for a pre-purchase inspection if you're seriously considering the car? Take it to someone with expertise and who is impartial.
Old 04-24-17, 06:50 AM
enoch861
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

For that price and mileage, sounds like a steal! I'd hop on it instantly. And if they accept a lower offer, even better.
The 3.0 engine is pretty reliable. Just keep on top of maintenance (5k intervals instead of the 10k the dealer might try to transition you to) and also get a PPI just in case. Otherwise it should be a pretty good and reliable DD or fantastic weekend car. Many people are scared that driving it everyday is somehow going to be a money pit. But more likely than not it'll be just like any other car with slightly higher repair costs. Maintenance costs are roughly the same as an LS if not lower. I have an A6 with the 3.2 (notorious for timing chain failures) at around 160k miles now with no issues apart from rebuilding the ABS module.
Old 04-24-17, 01:41 PM
LS430FL
Instructor

based on my research it seems that book value private party is $4100-$4500. he is asking top of the mark. He thinks he will get more based on his research. I think that if I were to pay top of the mark I wouldn't then want to have to repair the top potentially, the wheels, the back rear window up and down issue. I would think paying top of the mark everything should be operation and just require future maintenance. I am afraid like others have said that offering less might ruin the friendship. I am tempted to just say not interested and walk away. I am not going to lie at first I thought it was a total steal too. However, KBB tells me other wise, and there are not too many sales I can find. Current prices on auto trader or cars.com are all over the board. I have no way to know what those actually sell for only their asking prices though.
Old 04-24-17, 02:34 PM
Nospinzone
Forum Moderator

Received 428 Likes on 330 Posts

Originally Posted by LS430FL
I have a close friend in my neighborhood..... All perspectives are welcome. I never take offense to any opinion. Thanks
If you want to keep him as a close friend, fuggedaboud da car.

If you bargain with him about the price he'll resent you. If you pay his price and you have trouble with the car, you'll resent him.

In the end run, it ain't worth it either way. There's only a million A4's out there, buy one from someone else.
Old 04-24-17, 03:57 PM
lextout
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 45 Posts

take it for a inspection, guaranteed its gonna need something/s, then deduct a grand from his price to make up for the things wrong, also gives u a piece of mind, as you dont know what to expect.
Old 04-24-17, 04:28 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Like Nospinzone said, walk away...too many moving parts. I almost never buy anything off someone I know. The car needs work, it's not such a sweet deal and if you lowball him believe me he will talk about you to people in the neighborhood. Walk away. Tell him you decided the car just wasn't your thing, thanks anyway.
Old 04-24-17, 04:34 PM
dlbuckls10
Racer

Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

A inspection is good and may ease your mind but you're talking about a twelve years old Audi. It may look great and make you feel proud but Audi's are know to be problematic and expensive (money pit) to maintain. I'm speaking from experience. Good Luck!