IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Potential Buyer's Perspective

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-17, 10:22 AM
Manh3
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Potential Buyer's Perspective

I'm in the market to purchase an ISF for my wife and I've noticed myself looking at two types of vehicles.

1. An 08 in blue with under 75k miles, 60k inspection completed on the car, no accidents or paint work for 28-30k

2. A 2012 in nebula or Starfire. Willing to pay 35- 40k for a clean one.

I guess it's an all or nothing approach as I'm looking for an entry car or one with all the possible upgrades being the headlights, LSD, widest rims, new gauges and red interior. For some reason the 09,10,11 don't interest me. Is this a common scenario for new buyers or current isf owners looking to upgrade to 2012 models. In no way am I trying to offend those that own the years that I'm not interested in just wanted some opinions.

*** I haven't been on car forums in awhile but noticed a couple guys from nsxprime on here. What's up guys this is manh3 from prime.

Last edited by Manh3; 03-29-17 at 10:31 AM.
Old 03-29-17, 10:40 AM
ultimase
Intermediate

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts

That mirrors what I went through for 16 months when looking for one. The 2008's will be the most plentiful, and they're pretty affordable. As you continue up the years they become more and more rare just simply from the production number. I started at the 2008's then decided I wanted to have at least the lsd so then 2010, then I wanted the new suspension so 2011-2012. and then the airbag issue that pushed me to 2012 and above only. Ended up with a 2014 lol.
Old 03-29-17, 07:01 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

I almost always advise this scenario to potential IS F owners...if you're planning to keep it stock mechanically, go with the 2012. It rides smooth, has factory LSD, and has essentially all the updated revisions (steering ECU, tweaked suspension, LED headlights). BUT, if you're wanting to tinker with the car and do your own thing, I'd opt for an 08; cheaper price, more readily available, and the difference between a MY12 and MY08 will most likely be about 7-10k that could be put into aftermarket parts. Needless to say, the car still churns out the same amount of HP and torque, the body style remained the same all six years of production, and above all else, there are more vendors now than when the IS F first went into the market, meaning more parts to choose from.

My thoughts- don't purchase a 2012 if you're planning to swap the LSD and get coilovers. Those two items are what make the factory 2012 so desirable because they were factory upgrades. Many, including myself, opted for the OS Giken LSD for its performance on the track (and street subsequently) and there are coilover systems that are created with the track in mind or even just street comfort that are just as compliant as the OEM components. Many who purchased a 2012 new have rarely swapped out these two items because it's great for daily use. Track use from what I've read is not where the TORSEN LSD shines, but it is still much improved over a 2008-09 with merely an eLSD. I guesstimated the difference between MY08 and MY12 as about 7-10k from a regional search of what is listed currently. For that amount, it's safe to say, an aftermarket LSD, full bolt ons, and wider wheels/tires can all be done easily with a little change to spare.

Best of luck!
Old 03-29-17, 07:54 PM
Manh3
Driver

Thanks for the inputs. I'm going to keep the car stock except for maybe swift springs and 245/275 ps4 tires. The car is for my wife to take the our new baby around so no exhaust and such. So I'm probably going to go 2012.

Side note a lot of the 2012 comes with red interior but the wife is not a big fan of it. Would it be easy for me to swap seat with someone plus cash on their end for the red seats.
Old 03-30-17, 12:19 AM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

You're in CA. There are a bunch of owners itching for a red seat trade. I'm not sure what the fascination is, but it is a growing trend. There was a guy who parted out not too long ago, and those red seats were one of the first items that were snagged simply because I guess red seats are harder to find perhaps.

Are you NorCal or SoCal? It'll be nice to meet some new IS F owners once you get your ride. Neither you nor your wife will be disappointed with how well put together this car is stock.
Old 03-30-17, 06:08 AM
Diesel350
Lexus Champion

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts

I'd go for the 2012 myself but I'd advise against buying an IS-F to lug a baby around. The rear seats are going to be a super tight fit for a baby seat especially if you are going to have the seat facing backwards. I would advise in taking the seat with you and seeing how it fits in the rear before you buy. If it were me I'd buy your wife something bigger.
Old 03-30-17, 06:47 AM
ultimase
Intermediate

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts

For something sporty it's probably as big as it gets without going to a GSF, or a caddy...someone will correct me.

But to echo Diesel350, backward facing car seats is going to suck up a lot of a space for the front passenger. But if you're not going to be spending a whole lot of time with three people in the car then it's a mute point. Once the seats go forward facing you get back some of the room at the expensive of marks on the back of the front seat.

The total production number of ISF's thread just got bumped and it still amazes me.

Total years 2008-2014, 5,118 TOTAL US production.

From 2010-2014 only 1,949 units built, so less than 2,000 built with a stock OEM LSD.

Want only 2012 and up? less than 1,000 total built, only 793.

And this is total that left the production line, loss due to attrition ie accidents makes these numbers a high estimate.

This also explains why it took me to so long to find a 2012 and up when I was looking.
Old 03-30-17, 08:34 AM
mk416
Advanced

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

Happy with my 2011. Don't like 2012's wheels and the tweaks aren't worth 3K more for me. On top of that, exigent circumstance probably overshadowed my purchase decision a bit. All in all, what everyone else has said.

Bear in mind that 2011 already has the mechanical TorSen LSD, updated wheel specs, revised headlights, steering ECU tweaks, and suspension tweaks and are more abundant compared to 2012+; a better compromise in my opinion.

Cheers.
Old 03-30-17, 09:20 AM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Received 402 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by mk416
Bear in mind that 2011 already has the updated wheel specs
Not true, the 2011 model has the same wheel size and style as the 2010 MY which is the same size (19x8, 19x9) as the 2008-2009. The increase in size to 19x8.5 & 19x9.5 started with the 2012 MY, hence why the 2012+ is so popular when considering purchasing an ISF.
Old 03-30-17, 09:39 AM
Jz39
Advanced

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Diesel350
I'd go for the 2012 myself but I'd advise against buying an IS-F to lug a baby around. The rear seats are going to be a super tight fit for a baby seat especially if you are going to have the seat facing backwards. I would advise in taking the seat with you and seeing how it fits in the rear before you buy. If it were me I'd buy your wife something bigger.
Bingo! Your wife will hate dealing with the car seat and the rough suspension of the 08. Honestly, I can't imagine looking to buy an ISF as a baby car--there is nothing about the F that caters to babies...even my 5 & 8 year old boys are tall and have very little room in the back with the drivers seat on my setting. I have to move it up which makes me less comfortable driving. As a secondary baby car, sure, (I had my G35 Coupe as our secondary baby car) as a primary, I'd look for something else.
Old 03-30-17, 09:42 AM
Jz39
Advanced

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by mk416
Happy with my 2011. Don't like 2012's wheels and the tweaks aren't worth 3K more for me. On top of that, exigent circumstance probably overshadowed my purchase decision a bit. All in all, what everyone else has said.

Bear in mind that 2011 already has the mechanical TorSen LSD, updated wheel specs, revised headlights, steering ECU tweaks, and suspension tweaks and are more abundant compared to 2012+; a better compromise in my opinion.

Cheers.
I actually agree that the 2010/11 wheels look better in real life vs the 2012+. The 10/11 have more surface area and therefore accentuate the dark color of the wheels better. I'd like to have the extra width of the 12+, but by looks I prefer the 10/11s.
Old 03-30-17, 10:00 AM
jat0223
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

If you don't want the 1/2" wider wheels, the 2011 is the bargain to get as it has all the major updates. Even if you're going to mod it. Lsd and coilovers are fine, but you would need steering ecu, steering rack, steering wheel, bushings etc and all of this is besides the updated comfort amenities.
Old 03-30-17, 10:35 AM
Manh3
Driver

I've also been looking at the 2011 but I like the looks and the extra width of the 2012 rims as I'm not trying to mod the car other than lowering and larger tires. I think the isf is a very good looking car in stock form.

Back in 08 when the isf first came out I was going to trade my nsx and g35 in at the time for one but we didn't need a four door at the time and now I finally get to scratch my itch.

Last edited by Manh3; 03-30-17 at 10:44 AM.
Old 03-30-17, 10:42 AM
Manh3
Driver

Logically I should buy my wife an Avalon or Accord but where's the fun in that. I know that the back seat is a little cramp but it's normally just the three of us when we go places so I'm not all that worried unless we have another kid. I would move the front passenger seat all the way forward as she normally sits in the back with him.

We also have a TRD FJ cruiser, which is currently her mom mobile but the clam shell doors are a pain to get the kid in and out of the car.
​​​
Old 03-30-17, 11:41 AM
mk416
Advanced

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Jz39
I actually agree that the 2010/11 wheels look better in real life vs the 2012+. The 10/11 have more surface area and therefore accentuate the dark color of the wheels better. I'd like to have the extra width of the 12+, but by looks I prefer the 10/11s.
I know I will be getting aftermarket wheels later on, so these are just supposed to last until then...and also great as a spare set. Personally, straight multi-spoke wheels don't do much for me, so that's why I didn't like the 2012+ despite the increased width.

Originally Posted by jat0223
If you don't want the 1/2" wider wheels, the 2011 is the bargain to get as it has all the major updates. Even if you're going to mod it. Lsd and coilovers are fine, but you would need steering ecu, steering rack, steering wheel, bushings etc and all of this is besides the updated comfort amenities.
From what I could see based on my pre-purchase researches, the bushings should be upgraded to either FIG or RR Racing to get that desired steer response feedback, so that's a no brainer for me. As for the ECU and rack, I felt that the overall impression was not too different from a 2015 M4 I test drove (aside from the bump steering), so I also didn't let that stand.

2012 is a better buy if you have the funds, of course.

Quick Reply: Potential Buyer's Perspective