mcolesjr
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

45K service.
Old 04-27-17, 07:51 AM
e60bmw
Instructor

Received 114 Likes on 100 Posts

Has anyone removed the mirror covers before? I have a large amount of 5d carbon wrap and before ordering CF mirrors I thought of wrapping them. It would probably look cleaner if I could remove them. I believe its just a matter of removing the glass and unscrewing the back of it I'm guessing?
Old 04-27-17, 08:25 AM
korupted
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by e60bmw
Has anyone removed the mirror covers before? I have a large amount of 5d carbon wrap and before ordering CF mirrors I thought of wrapping them. It would probably look cleaner if I could remove them. I believe its just a matter of removing the glass and unscrewing the back of it I'm guessing?
Yup, just remove the mirror. I used a paint stick to gain leverage behind to pop it off the clip then unscrew 5 screws and you're set. Just make sure everything is flushed once you put it back together. A small gap could cause wind noise at higher speeds. I experienced this and saw that the driver side was not 100% flushed so I put it back together and that solved the wind noise.
Old 04-27-17, 09:12 AM
JWBlakk
Lead Lap

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by korupted
Yup, just remove the mirror. I used a paint stick to gain leverage behind to pop it off the clip then unscrew 5 screws and you're set. Just make sure everything is flushed once you put it back together. A small gap could cause wind noise at higher speeds. I experienced this and saw that the driver side was not 100% flushed so I put it back together and that solved the wind noise.
Great! I was wondering this same thing! I had the CF mirror covers and wasn't happy with the fitment so took them off. Now I will probably wrap as I also have a large amount of 5D wrap sitting around haha.
Old 04-27-17, 09:19 AM
e60bmw
Instructor

Originally Posted by JWBlakk
Great! I was wondering this same thing! I had the CF mirror covers and wasn't happy with the fitment so took them off. Now I will probably wrap as I also have a large amount of 5D wrap sitting around haha.
Awesome, yeah I was concerned with the overlay mirrors, wasn't sure how flush it could be. I did find these that replace the whole cover but its a bit steep in price.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Carbon-Fiber...5YylFv&vxp=mtr

I figured the 5d mirros would get me 90-95% of the look. Not to mention I'm concerned with the gloss on the CF fading after a while which often happens, especially with texas heat.
Old 04-27-17, 09:22 AM
JWBlakk
Lead Lap

Awesome, yeah I was concerned with the overlay mirrors, wasn't sure how flush it could be. I did find these that replace the whole cover but its a bit steep in price.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Carbon-Fiber...5YylFv&vxp=mtr

I figured the 5d mirros would get me 90-95% of the look. Not to mention I'm concerned with the gloss on the CF fading after a while which often happens, especially with texas heat.
Yeah steep in price but would be the best way to do it as opposed to the overlays. Also, would take forever to get here haha. I would try to wrap and see how it turns out, and if all else fails...then get the replacement covers.
Old 04-27-17, 11:03 AM
e60bmw
Instructor

Yeah steep in price but would be the best way to do it as opposed to the overlays. Also, would take forever to get here haha. I would try to wrap and see how it turns out, and if all else fails...then get the replacement covers.
Maybe your wrap is better than mine. I just took off the mirror covers and spent the last 2 hours trying to wrap. I took it off and gave up, my wrap isn't stretchy enough and even with heat the curve are incredibly hard. It wasn't going to look right. I'll look into other options. I may be a wrap noob but have watched enough vids to try to wrap it, but the material is very hard to work with.
Old 04-27-17, 11:07 AM
JWBlakk
Lead Lap

Maybe your wrap is better than mine. I just took off the mirror covers and spent the last 2 hours trying to wrap. I took it off and gave up, my wrap isn't stretchy enough and even with heat the curve are incredibly hard. It wasn't going to look right. I'll look into other options. I may be a wrap noob but have watched enough vids to try to wrap it, but the material is very hard to work with.
I use the Vvivid 5D wrap and wrapped my previous lux spoiler and mirror bases with it and it worked out, although it was a little tough. Best way is to Pre-stretch it and then let the heat shrink it naturally around the curves...followed by a post heat to better bond the thick wrap and adhesion promoter or sealant on the edges. I'm going to attempt it this weekend, wish me luck!
Old 04-27-17, 11:12 AM
e60bmw
Instructor

I use the Vvivid 5D wrap and wrapped my previous lux spoiler and mirror bases with it and it worked out, although it was a little tough. Best way is to Pre-stretch it and then let the heat shrink it naturally around the curves...followed by a post heat to better bond the thick wrap and adhesion promoter or sealant on the edges. I'm going to attempt it this weekend, wish me luck!
I'm using some stuff I got off ebay. Maybe I'll try it again some other day, I got too frustrated trying to make it work and a area I had pretty good had small bubbles still.
Old 04-27-17, 11:20 AM
JWBlakk
Lead Lap

I'm using some stuff I got off ebay. Maybe I'll try it again some other day, I got too frustrated trying to make it work and a area I had pretty good had small bubbles still.
I got the wrap off Amazon. I also got a felt tip squeegee for the bubbles (saves your fingers). Heat and a squeegee works wonders for air bubbles, just try not to stretch too much (while wrapping) or use too much heat.
Old 04-27-17, 07:44 PM
kcstunna82
Driver

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

I got my wheels and lowering springs installed today
Old 04-28-17, 06:03 PM
e60bmw
Instructor

...And the ebay spoiler I got from Taiwan in 2 days is on. Love it.

Attachment 490725
Attachment 490726
Old 04-30-17, 06:42 AM
Chavez562
Intermediate

Received 73 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by kcstunna82
I got my wheels and lowering springs installed today
very very nice! Job well done sir! Looks great!
The following users liked this post:
kcstunna82 (05-10-17)
Old 04-30-17, 06:43 AM
Chavez562
Intermediate

Received 73 Likes on 61 Posts

...And the ebay spoiler I got from Taiwan in 2 days is on. Love it.

looks great! That's for sure a sweet investment!!
Old 04-30-17, 05:13 PM
atoyota
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

A wash with CG Hybrid V7 Optical Select High Suds Car Wash Soap I got. I like the detail spray so decided to try the soap too. i like it.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your GS today?