Just bought a Lexus NX!

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-16, 09:08 AM
toonchew
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Just bought a Lexus NX!

Hello everyone,

I just recently picked up an used 2015 Lexus NX F-Sport, with 19K miles on it; paid $36K out the door and also bought an extended warranty with it too. I think it was a good deal, I was able to negotiate the pricing and saved an additional $3K (give or take). I think a brand new 2017 model with the same features as mine would've cost 45K-47K. I traded it in my 2016 Subaru Forester XT Touring (also turbo'd); loved the Subaru and its culture but it was giving me major engine issues after just a year of owning it. I will definitely miss it though. So far I love the NX. Just a much more solid vehicle than the Subaru.

There are 2 cons that I noticed right off the bat. The protective film (I think that's what it is) on the navigation display is peeling off and it looks god awful. And the my rear license plate is rattling like CRAZY even with the volume relatively low. Once the holiday schedule slows down a bit, I plan to take it to the Lexus dealership to see if they can fix these two issues. Hopefully since it's still under warranty.

Anyways, this is my first Lexus and I am will very happy I made the decision to get one.
Old 12-27-16, 09:12 AM
chuckNX
Intermediate

Received 89 Likes on 58 Posts

Congratulations ! Enjoy the car.
Old 12-27-16, 10:01 AM
typocl
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts

does the nav screen look like this:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/nx-...een-right.html

hopefully, your dealer will replace it under warranty and not try to blame you

for the license plate rattle, some folks fixed it themselves by applying material to the back of the plate to make it snug
Old 12-27-16, 10:18 AM
toonchew
Driver School Candidate

Well I have to say I'm glad and disappointed at the same time that these are a known issue. How can Lexus let this happen?? Hopefully they won't blame me...there's only 2 Lexus dealerships in my area (that i know). I actually had double sided tape lying around so I taped 3 layers on the back of my license plate FRAME, it helped but didn't eliminate the problem, only now I can turn the volume up a little higher...I noticed the bottom two holes on the licence are not drilled. If it is drilled, maybe that would solve the problem. Has anyone tried this? The subwoofer being on the lift gate certainly does not help the problem, in fact I think that is the problem.
Old 12-27-16, 10:33 AM
d8168055
Pole Position

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

For your license plate, I used weather stripping all around the rear of the plate. Solves the problem! Less than $5 at Walmart

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Duck-Smal...White/17133819

Old 12-27-16, 10:44 AM
toonchew
Driver School Candidate

Thank you d816! You placed it around the whole entire plate? Wouldn't this prevent you from screwing the bolts all the way down?
Old 12-27-16, 10:47 AM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 673 Likes on 593 Posts

Congrats to you and welcome!

-Josh

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 12-27-16, 10:48 AM
d8168055
Pole Position

All around, but left the holes free. The stripping comes in double, so I cut it in half. It is weather-proof foam, so it compresses very well, and wont deteriorate during harsh weather conditions. People use this foam for sealing windows.

Cut in half laterally:
Old 12-27-16, 10:49 AM
chuckNX
Intermediate

Received 89 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by toonchew
Well I have to say I'm glad and disappointed at the same time that these are a known issue. How can Lexus let this happen?? Hopefully they won't blame me...there's only 2 Lexus dealerships in my area (that i know). I actually had double sided tape lying around so I taped 3 layers on the back of my license plate FRAME, it helped but didn't eliminate the problem, only now I can turn the volume up a little higher...I noticed the bottom two holes on the licence are not drilled. If it is drilled, maybe that would solve the problem. Has anyone tried this? The subwoofer being on the lift gate certainly does not help the problem, in fact I think that is the problem.
There are two issues with the license plate frame in which I completely corrected for easily. When the sub-woofer is providing heavy base, sound resonates through the rear hatch to the license plate and frame. The license plate vibrates against the car's paint/metal, and the frame may also vibrate against the license plate itself. Especially at the bottom where there are not lower screws.

This is a common issue with most vehicles that have a sub in the rear trunk/hatch area. Even without a sub, I personally don't like the license plate frame flapping when you shut the trunk/hatch on any car.

I solved the issue by doing the following.

1. Replace the cheap plastic dealer frame with a more rigid metal style.
2. Place quarter inch weather stripping across the lower back of the license plate, end to end. This eliminates the first issue.
3. Apply 3 -4 quarter inch globs of clear silicone (about the size of an M&M) equally across the lower part of the front of the license plate. Be careful to apply in a way the the silicone is not visible when the frame is installed. You may need to use more or less depending on frame style but the point is to ensure an adequate bond between the two surfaces. Mount plate and frame on car. The silicone will dry to a rubber consistency and prevent the plate/frame from vibrating on each other. If at some point you need to remove the license plate/frame, slight pressure will remove the bond and you can remove and reapply the silicone quite easily when installing again. (You could use weather stripping in lieu of the silicone but the frame may protrude out at a distance that does not look acceptable. This depends on the type of frame you choose.

Last edited by chuckNX; 12-27-16 at 10:53 AM.
Old 12-27-16, 10:51 AM
toonchew
Driver School Candidate

Thank you for the help!
Old 12-27-16, 11:44 AM
AJA999
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just had the peeling issue on the nav screen. I was told there was a bulletin for it and it was replaced under warranty last week. No questions. I just had to wait for the part to come in.

Enjoy your NX!
Old 12-27-16, 01:41 PM
toonchew
Driver School Candidate

Thank you AJA. Hopefully the dealership won't give me any trouble with this.
Old 12-27-16, 03:17 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 291 Likes on 211 Posts

Congrats on your NX and welcome to the forum. Don't forget to post pics here or if you haven't already in the sticky Pics thread!

My Nav screen also had the fragile protective film which rubbed/scratched off with light to moderate contact. I got the screen replaced under warranty within my first year of ownership, without fuss, but I'm still staying far away from touching it as it looks like it's also scratch-prone. It's possible the latest batches of Nav screens do not have this issue if you were to get it replaced today.

For the rear hatch/sub rattle, the license plate is only a small source of the rattle. I eliminated 90%+ of it via a very unconventional method here. Another member or two added Dynamat or equivalent in the cavities of the rear hatch.

Good luck.
Old 12-29-16, 01:08 PM
toonchew
Driver School Candidate

thanks corrado!

Anyone here in the dallas fort worth area that is interested in trading F-Sport rims? I have the version with the all season tires and not really feeling the look. I much prefer the other F-Sport, I know it's the same design but still. Let me know!
Old 12-29-16, 01:56 PM
d8168055
Pole Position

Anyone here in the dallas fort worth area that is interested in trading F-Sport rims? I have the version with the all season tires and not really feeling the look. I much prefer the other F-Sport, I know it's the same design but still. Let me know!
Be aware tire sizes are different. All-season tires with the machined rims are 225/60/R18 and summer tires with superchrome (gunmetal) are 235/55/R18. Overall diameter is -1.4%, and it will throw your speedometer off slightly.

Quick Reply: Just bought a Lexus NX!