NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

This Shouldn't Happen to the Nav Screen, Right?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-15, 03:41 PM
NXOwner
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts
Angry This Shouldn't Happen to the Nav Screen, Right?

So, has anyone had this issue before (see photo)? Look at the edges. It's as if there is a protective film over the screen and the edges have bubbles.

I tried to determine if there was a protective film on it for delivery, but there is not (or at least I couldn't determine anything).

It's been like this for a few days. I'm thinking it is some sort of moisture, I thought maybe evaporation would help, but even in this dry heat, it's still there.

Last edited by NXOwner; 10-05-15 at 09:30 AM.
Old 10-02-15, 03:50 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

I believe that was happening on a few 3IS screens. It was the screen layers separating. Try searching in that sub-forum for more info.
Old 10-02-15, 05:02 PM
NXOwner
Racer

Thanks, @yardie876. There was an older thread over in the 3IS forum about something similar. I posted a reply with a link back to this thread.

I asked the guy whose screen was replaced by the dealership how long it took for replacement (including the delivery time of the new screen, if any). However, he hasn't posted in any of these forums in a long, long time.

At any rate, I have an appointment with my Lexus service department Monday morning.
Old 10-03-15, 09:23 AM
15RC350F
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

It looks very suspiciously like moisture intrusion, like that which comes from using a spray product like Windex to clean the screen. Not an accusation, mind you, I've just seen similar issues from that.
Old 10-03-15, 09:26 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Yikes...hope not. They will fight to replace that if they can find foul play.

I've never quite understood why people (in general) have to apply countless chemicals to their car. A clean microfiber cloth works wonder.
Old 10-03-15, 09:28 AM
NXOwner
Racer

Originally Posted by 15LexNX2t
It looks very suspiciously like moisture intrusion, like that which comes from using a spray product like Windex to clean the screen. Not an accusation, mind you, I've just seen similar issues from that.
No worries. I've only had this car for three weeks and haven't had time to do any interior cleaning to it yet. The dealership did wash it once, but I'm not sure if they did any detailing to the inside of it.
Old 10-03-15, 09:30 AM
15RC350F
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Swacer
A clean microfiber cloth works wonder.
Indeed. I bought a cheap pack of large ones at AutoZone (or somewhere, I honestly forget) and I keep one in the glove box. Of both our cars. When they get dirty I either wash or toss them.
Old 10-05-15, 09:26 AM
NXOwner
Racer

I brought it in to the dealership this morning (Newport Lexus, Newport Beach, CA). The service rep showed it to a service technician. They said that a "Factory Representative" was already scheduled to visit them some time today and that they would show it to him/her. They had no arrival timeframe for the rep, so they said that I may have to keep the loaner car (2015 ES 300 Hybrid) overnight.
Old 10-07-15, 10:31 PM
NXOwner
Racer

Thumbs up Navigation Screen was Replaced

I have my new navigation screen. It took them less than (probably much less than) two hours to swap it out. Thank you, Newport Lexus!

They said they found moisture it in and told me to be careful in the future. I'm now wondering if the car wash guys—while cleaning the windshield—accidentally got overspray on it.

I'm going to craft some sort of custom cover for it to use when at the car wash.

New Nav Replacement Screen/Display
The following users liked this post:
Leannet (04-18-19)
Old 10-08-15, 02:24 AM
cripsy
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am glad they took care of you so easily. Another benefit of purchasing a quality vehicle.

When my wife first saw the nav she asked if it sunk back into the dash... I started to think that would be a good feature in newer models. Press a button and its hidden away unless you need it.
Old 10-09-15, 04:24 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Nice to see Lexus took care of it right away even if the issue may not even have been a manufacturing issue. As you said, watch out for spray on the screen. Lesson learned for all of us!
Old 10-15-15, 11:25 PM
NXOwner
Racer

Default Made a Protective Nav Screen Cover

Since moisture/liquids are very BAD for the nav display screen, to protect it from window cleaner overspray, I fabricated this microfibre cover.

This is all on the assumption that the car wash detailers oversprayed all over the screen while cleaning the windshield (or windscreen, for you non-US drivers).

I was lucky that Lexus replaced my screen. THANK YOU, NEWPORT LEXUS!!

• The finished product:

• Here is the original paper prototype I made to get an idea of what to make:

• About to cut some black microfibre cloth from my paper pattern:

Last edited by NXOwner; 10-15-15 at 11:34 PM.
Old 10-16-15, 04:04 AM
DigMyM35x
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmmm,I would be surprised if that damage was from a slight overspray from a spray bottle. I'm glad they replaced it for you though!

It just seems odd that Lexus would design something like this screen with such a low tolerance for something like over spray creating that delmination. They have years of experience with touch screens in millions of cars that would be destroyed the same way if this were a prevelant issue.

Could it be a defect just on your particular screen where the top layer was not affixed correctly which allowed the moisture to get behind it? Or is it a design flaw that we all have to be aware of?

Just seems odd to me that they would blame 'moisture' from something as small as a spray bottle unless it was saturated - and I think the damage might look a bit different.

I guess we'll see over time. I like your microfiber cover - neat project! I just don't want to have to worry about something like this as a widespread issue when cleaning my windshield. Of course I will be careful but these screens should be able to tolerate some form of spray.

As an aside, in my other car, there were a handful of people where this exact same thing happened but it was simply a delamination of the screen due to manufacturing not moisture. Those were replaced and it corrected the issue so hopefully this is all just a one off manufacturing issue like that.
Old 10-16-15, 04:54 AM
Tom59
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

^ I agree... looks like a defect. We will find out over the next couple years if others have the same issue arise.
Old 10-19-15, 10:12 AM
bionictony
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

looks like the anti-glare coating is coming off. cleaning solvents might be the cause. the cover is nice. lexus should have designed it where the screen folds and tucks away.

Quick Reply: This Shouldn't Happen to the Nav Screen, Right?