GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Restoring Obsidian GS

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-16, 07:49 AM
djrabbi
Lead Lap

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Restoring Obsidian GS

These car washes are nightmares but honestly my car is leased so I am not too "upset" with it but I rarely drive in winter and would like to take the opportunity to give it a nice detail. What have you guys used specifically on a black car? I was planning on using Chemical Guys Black Light wax with maybe adding some extra "coating"
Old 11-08-16, 07:58 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,604 Likes on 1,022 Posts

Strongly suggest you spend some time here in the excellent detailing forum.
Old 11-08-16, 08:54 AM
1111GS

Received 91 Likes on 79 Posts

I had one before. It's a beautiful thing to look at after a clean proper wash. But caring for it was just a bit too much for me. I enjoyed at the beginning but it got to a point I was too tired and busy to keep up. A paint correction and coating will certainly help but after all done, the caring begins again. One needs to know how to care for it. Like any paint, it will scratch but it's just too visible on OB. If you don't care too much, after the correction and coating, just find a decent hand wash place in your area. Stay away from the "grinding machines". BTW, post a picture or two when you get a chance.
Old 11-08-16, 09:10 AM
gflexus
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I just turned in my leased black GS after 24 months with virtually no scratches or swirl marks anywhere on the car. My secret.....I did nothing beyond routine car washes and occasional use of Meguiar's Quick Detail for any spots/problem areas. After reading all the problems with the black paint on the forums, I decided less was probably better, and it seemed to work out. Of course, as the cars get older, some polish/wax will be needed.
Old 11-08-16, 09:56 AM
Dallasguy1
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 51 Posts

If your car has swirl marks then wax won't fix it, you'll need 2 step paint correction. I had a black car and it was a too much hassle.
Old 11-08-16, 10:20 AM
neegroy
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

PAINT CORRECTION is the only way to restore it, but then again its a lease so i wouldnt even bother with it
Old 11-08-16, 12:30 PM
djrabbi
Lead Lap

yeah that is what I am leaning but I am only in 15 months into my lease but really bothers me in the sunlight.
Old 11-08-16, 12:58 PM
popping
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by gflexus
I just turned in my leased black GS after 24 months with virtually no scratches or swirl marks anywhere on the car. My secret.....I did nothing beyond routine car washes and occasional use of Meguiar's Quick Detail for any spots/problem areas. After reading all the problems with the black paint on the forums, I decided less was probably better, and it seemed to work out. Of course, as the cars get older, some polish/wax will be needed.
no offense.. but i highly doubt you had "virtually no scratches or swirl marks." You look at OB wrong, and you get swirl marks
Old 11-08-16, 02:16 PM
MustangSal
Lead Lap

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

By all means, please don't wreck a car by not caring for it while it's under your care and lease. That's pretty eff'd up. Someone else will eventually be the owner and curse your name when they have to spend to being the car paint back to a presentable state.

That being said. Paint correction on black (if it's swirly) noting that deep scratches can't really be corrected. Taking on a black car is definitely work but the rewards are far more for when it's time to show it off. There is a unspoken appreciation for those who have sacrificed their lives to keeping a black car perfect. 👌ðŸ¼
Old 11-08-16, 02:19 PM
djrabbi
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by MustangSal
By all means, please don't wreck a car by not caring for it while it's under your care and lease. That's pretty eff'd up. Someone else will eventually be the owner and curse your name when they have to spend to being the car paint back to a presentable state.

That being said. Paint correction on black (if it's swirly) noting that deep scratches can't really be corrected. Taking on a black car is definitely work but the rewards are far more for when it's time to show it off. There is a unspoken appreciation for those who have sacrificed their lives to keeping a black car perfect. 👌ðŸ¼
I still care for it as it is my baby but I just don't want to drop $2,500 on someone doing paint correction. I am honestly just thinking of wrapping my car and be done with it as I am sure in 6-9 months I will be on the same road. My guy just charges me labor ($1,000) and takes a week to do it rather than 1-2 days. I just have to supply him the film, which I have direct pricing with Arlon and 3M. They will be running a special during black Friday.
Old 11-08-16, 05:28 PM
Dallasguy1
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 51 Posts

Paint correction won't cost u more 300-400$ unless your getting the car coated with nano which I think is not worth on a lease.
Old 11-08-16, 07:00 PM
MustangSal
Lead Lap

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

I had paint correction, rims inside and out, wheel wells, calipers, trim, and glass protection for $1400. The correction makes it perfect without swirl and Gyeon MOHS is a 5 year guarantee. The ease of cleaning it and maintaining it during the week is reason alone to do it (and mine is Obsidian). Once a year refresh with my detailer for about $100 will keep it well past 5 years of perfection.
Old 11-09-16, 07:07 AM
k0kong
Pit Crew

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I had my Obsidian black GS polished and sealed by a local guy that did exceptional work. Washed, decontaminated, single stage polish (twice), cleaned wheel wells and rims, and applied sealant for $250. Got rid of 95% of the swirl marks and spider webbing. Some of the deeper ingrained scratches were still visible but only in direct sunlight and looking at certain angles.
At first i wanted to keep the car as clean as possible but after conversations with several detailers, it was actually best to not touch it at all and just settle for what it looks like. Right after i had it detailed, it rained and that intense gloss look was almost immediately gone. I do keep a bottle of meguiars quik detailer and quik wax in the car for touch up areas but have not used it in fear of creating more scratches.

Last edited by k0kong; 11-09-16 at 07:11 AM.
Old 11-09-16, 07:26 PM
boostinsc
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

I just had mine done and cost 700 for a paint correction and ceramic pro bronze package did I overpay?

Mirror finish
Before
Right side

Left side
Front view
Old 11-09-16, 07:36 PM
phins2rt
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by boostinsc
I just had mine done and cost 700 for a paint correction and ceramic pro bronze package did I overpay?
Looks good. Do you happen to park at a bird sanctuary?

Quick Reply: Restoring Obsidian GS