Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2017 Corolla first look

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-16, 01:30 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by situman
It actually doesnt look bad at all in person. I might say it looks good when I saw it at the NY auto show. Maybe its the angle or the lens of the cameras being used. It doesnt look overly exaggerated like the photos would suggest. I guess some cars just aren't photogenic.
We will have to see. I am interested to see what it looks like in person. The Avalon in photos doe not look as good as in person.
Old 04-07-16, 05:03 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
From what I have seen online, the new Corolla refresh looks abysmal. But, I will wait to see it in person, seeing it side by side with other cars is what I'm interested in, sometimes they look better. I thought the RX350 was ok in the pics online, but once I saw it on the road, I must admit that it looks pretty bad, past Acura front beak bad
Well, it looks like a Prius v in the front even in person. The 50th Anniversary SE Edition in Black Cherry Pearl looks fantastic, however.
Old 09-27-16, 12:09 AM
sorptd
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just noticed that the 2017 Corolla is now up on Toyota website. Apart the exterior changes & new trim levels the biggest change IMO is the standard TSS-P active safety package.
Pre-Collision System with Pedestrian Detection, Lane Departure Alert with Steering Assist, Automatic High Beams and Dynamic Radar Cruise Control are now all standard even on the base L model !
Old 09-27-16, 06:24 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,196 Likes on 1,427 Posts

wow, that's an impressive level of equipment.
Old 09-27-16, 12:33 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
wow, that's an impressive level of equipment.
It is, but Toyota has raised the starting MSRP by $1200 and they have found a few ways to take some features away. Also, if people are not watching carefully, the fuel economy has decreased in some trim levels. LE loses MPG in both city -1 and highway -2 for example.
Old 09-27-16, 02:46 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,196 Likes on 1,427 Posts

interesting, thanks. what features did they take away?
Old 09-27-16, 02:54 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 161 Likes on 94 Posts

The decrease in fuel economy may be from the newly revised ratings hitting all cars for 2017. Not positive though, but I'm noticing most cars have dropped their numbers thus far.
Old 09-27-16, 03:36 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

And the (Corolla) iM also has the Safety Sense standard.
Old 09-28-16, 09:08 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

The interior materials on the 2017 Corolla have definitely improved. Design is hit or miss for people, but it's comfortable, smooth and reliable car, which is why it's one of the best selling cars in the country, and best selling car in the world. Here's a quick pic I took of an SE last week.

Old 09-28-16, 09:38 AM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

i think the non se front treatment looks better
Old 09-28-16, 10:18 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

That SE could use a little less ride height but otherwise not bad
Old 09-28-16, 12:33 PM
sorptd
Intermediate

The 4 AT is finally gone. Even the base trim now gets the CVT. From what i saw on the Toyota website only the SE trim has the optional 6 MT. Earlier you could MT with both L & S grades. Am not sure if any competing vehicle offers this level of safety tech with a combination of manual transmission.
Old 09-28-16, 05:23 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 85 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by sorptd
The 4 AT is finally gone. Even the base trim now gets the CVT. From what i saw on the Toyota website only the SE trim has the optional 6 MT. Earlier you could MT with both L & S grades. Am not sure if any competing vehicle offers this level of safety tech with a combination of manual transmission.
I don't know why they even kept the 4AT this long to start with. They probably weren't saving much, if any money, by using the less-complex 4-speed on the base model, because, by using two different automatics on the same car, they increased the associated costs of producing and stocking spare parts for them. It also made the assembly lines more complex than they needed to be.

Subaru made the same mistake on some of its N/A 2.5L vehicles. They hung on to the 4AT too long, even after they introduced a 5AT and 6AT on other vehicles. Then, when they finally DID phase out the 4AT, they replaced it with....a CVT.

I'll admit, though, that I'm somewhat biased on this issue. I never liked the typical 4AT, with the rather wide spacing between overdrive fourth gear and the substantially shorter third gear that was under 1:1. This meant that, at most of the typical driving speeds around town in suburban environments (30-50 MPH), most 4-speeds would constantly hunt back and fourth between 3rd and 4th, depending on throttle position and load, especially on hills. At least with a really old-fashioned 3-speed automatic, and its direct-drive 1:1 ratio top gear, the transmission would reach high gear and pretty stay there most of the time, though they could get buzzy on the highway with a small engine and cause more noise and engine wear. The 6ATs, of course, give you more or less the flexibility of both worlds......close enough ratios to cover both stop-and go and highway-cruise conditions.

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-28-16 at 05:37 PM.
Old 10-01-16, 10:52 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

I wouldn't be surprised if this is actually a couple inches longer with that new front bumper. Really extends out and makes the hood look longer. I still have mixed feelings about going this aggressive with the grill on a car that many conservative buyers have traditionally bought.
Old 10-01-16, 04:28 PM
sorptd
Intermediate

Originally Posted by -J-P-L-
I wouldn't be surprised if this is actually a couple inches longer with that new front bumper. Really extends out and makes the hood look longer. I still have mixed feelings about going this aggressive with the grill on a car that many conservative buyers have traditionally bought.
Not sure but the longer front bumper could also to do something with the IIHS small overlap test. I remember they did something similar for the prius V

Quick Reply: 2017 Corolla first look