Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2017 Corolla first look

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-16, 10:36 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts
Default 2017 Corolla first look

http://www.motortrend.com/news/2017-...t-look-review/

The Chevrolet Camaro isn’t the only car celebrating its 50th birthday this year—notwithstanding its eight-year hiatus in the early ’00s. The 2017 Toyota Corolla also celebrates its golden anniversary. The legendary compact sedan is doing so with some minor nips and tucks and a new 50th anniversary trim package.

The 11th-generation Toyota Corolla debuted in 2013, and given the automaker’s six-year lifespan for its vehicles, the Corolla’s 50th anniversary seems like as good of a reason as any for an update. Like many baby boomers reaching the half-century mark, the 2017 Corolla’s changes consist mainly of a face-lift. The updated Corolla gets a new grille and bi-LED headlights on base Corolla L and LE models. The other trims get complex LED lights standard. A federally mandated standard backup camera rounds out the exterior upgrades for 2017. Toyota says the interior is more comfortable and more convenient—claims we’ll have to take at face value, as we’ve yet to sit in the updated car. Toyota’s Safety Sense-P safety suite, which includes pre-collision alert with pedestrian detection, radar cruise control, lane departure warning with steering assist, and automatic high-beam headlights, is now optional across the board.

Like Chevy is doing with the Camaro’s golden anniversary, Toyota is also offering a Corolla 50th Anniversary Special Edition. Based on the Corolla SE, the 50th Anniversary Special Edition includes the unique Black Cherry color (silver and white are also available), Black Cherry contrast stitching in the interior, 50th Anniversary badging outside, and 50th Anniversary Edition floormats. Only 8,000 2017 Toyota Corolla 50th Anniversary Special Editions will be made, which sounds like a lot, but given that Toyota moved 363,000 Corollas last year, it really only represents about 2 percent of the sales mix.

The 2017 Corolla will be unchanged under the hood. A 1.8-liter I-4 with two power outputs—132 hp and 128 lb-ft of torque on most of the lineup and 140 hp and 126 lb-ft on Eco models—is the only available engine. Three transmissions are available: a six-speed manual, a four-speed automatic (yes, really), and a CVT.

The updated Corolla goes on sale this fall.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 03-24-16 at 10:41 AM.
Old 03-24-16, 10:37 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Can someone please paste the pics. I can't seem to make it work on this Mac I am using?

The dash looks like it has been revised, more similar to the Scion IM which is going to share the Corolla name for 2017.
Old 03-24-16, 10:58 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Old 03-24-16, 12:10 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 86 Likes on 85 Posts

Looks nice except for that black lower-grille, which IMO is a fail.

The image-issue is not just on your Mac, Jill. (I have one, too). Macs are generally great PCs, but, in some ways, it IS harder to transfer images than with Windows. That was one of the first things I noticed when I got mine.

I just wonder if they are ever going to make a REAL performance version of the Corolla. I can't remember the last time I've seen one in the American market. The Corolla S, and even the XRS versions, were little more than plastic body-piece add-ons and some blanked-out trim...nothing even approaching a true performance compact. The now-discontinued, hatchback Corolla Matrix/Pontiac Vibe DID have the 180 HP VTEC four from the Celica GTS as an option, but it was an extremely high-winding engine with little torque at normal RPMs. I'd also like to see the Corolla All-Trac return......I think there would be a market for it in the U.S. (again, the Matrix/Vibe offered AWD, but only with the base engine).

(Just a suggestion, BTW. Lexus now has a turbo 2.0L four that would probably be ideal for a performance Corolla....just as Buick uses a 2.0L turbo for the upmarket Verano and Regal).

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-24-16 at 12:22 PM.
Old 03-24-16, 12:46 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,310 Likes on 1,512 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
+1. looks more like a battering ram:

The image-issue is not just on your Mac, Jill. (I have one, too). Macs are generally great PCs, but, in some ways, it IS harder to transfer images than with Windows. That was one of the first things I noticed when I got mine.
don't know if you use Google Chrome browser but it's vastly better than Safari.

back to the topic... a 'special edition corolla' is an oxymoron.
Old 03-24-16, 01:36 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

Not bad overall but Toyota and Lexus need some new blood in their grill/front end departments..
Old 03-24-16, 01:44 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

I just wonder if they are ever going to make a REAL performance version of the Corolla. I can't remember the last time I've seen one in the American market. The Corolla S, and even the XRS versions, were little more than plastic body-piece add-ons and some blanked-out trim...nothing even approaching a true performance compact. The now-discontinued, hatchback Corolla Matrix/Pontiac Vibe DID have the 180 HP VTEC four from the Celica GTS as an option, but it was an extremely high-winding engine with little torque at normal RPMs. I'd also like to see the Corolla All-Trac return......I think there would be a market for it in the U.S. (again, the Matrix/Vibe offered AWD, but only with the base engine).

(Just a suggestion, BTW. Lexus now has a turbo 2.0L four that would probably be ideal for a performance Corolla....just as Buick uses a 2.0L turbo for the upmarket Verano and Regal).
You could get that same 180hp 8000rpm screamer Celica GT-S motor in the mid 2000's Corolla, the body style that ran from about 2001 to 2006ish.

But yeah, anybody that is looking for something remotely interesting to drive needs to look elsewhere. 130hp, only one engine offered is kind of absurd, Toyota is really just selling this car off its reputation. Personally I think its ugly as well, especially this new redesign. The interior/dashboard are rather nice though.
Old 03-24-16, 02:13 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 86 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
You could get that same 180hp 8000rpm screamer Celica GT-S motor in the mid 2000's Corolla, the body style that ran from about 2001 to 2006ish.

I didn't remember it being in the mid-2000s version (and it wasn't listed in the research I did)..but if you remember it, I'll take your word for it. It was probably in the XRS model.

But yeah, anybody that is looking for something remotely interesting to drive needs to look elsewhere. 130hp, only one engine offered is kind of absurd, Toyota is really just selling this car off its reputation. Personally I think its ugly as well, especially this new redesign. The interior/dashboard are rather nice though.
Well, it is certainly a good reputation at that. Performance versions or not, It has been providing good reliable transportation for half a century. Along with the VW Beetle and Model T Ford, it is arguably the best-selling car in history.
Old 03-24-16, 02:23 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

I just wonder if they are ever going to make a REAL performance version of the Corolla. I can't remember the last time I've seen one in the American market. The Corolla S, and even the XRS versions, were little more than plastic body-piece add-ons and some blanked-out trim...nothing even approaching a true performance compact. T.
Actually the last generation Corolla S/XRS has two different engines, the 1.8 and the 2.4/5 speed in the XRS model. So there was a better performance engine. Eventually the 2.4 was discontinued in the Corolla.

Y
130hp, only one engine offered is kind of absurd, Toyota is really just selling this car off its reputation.
Technically there are two different HP ratings, the ECO model actually has more power. But you are right, they are really selling off reputation.

Personally I think its ugly as well, especially this new redesign. .
I think the new front end is awful.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 03-24-16 at 02:26 PM.
Old 03-24-16, 02:29 PM
xioix
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

don't know if you use Google Chrome browser but it's vastly better than Safari.

back to the topic... a 'special edition corolla' is an oxymoron.
Safari loaded the pictures fine on my Mac.

But I do agree that battering ram look doesn't flow with the over all car. It doesn't seem like a bad refresh though.
Old 03-24-16, 02:36 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

The interior/dashboard are rather nice though.
The interior is a bit of step backwards IMO. Toyota just plugged a 2015 interior and will call it a 2017 update.

2015 Scion IM

2017 Corolla
Old 03-24-16, 02:46 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

The guys in Northeast wil love it for it's snow plowing capabilities.
Old 03-24-16, 03:29 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

LOL, and people were complaining about the new Impreza!!!

this front end is horrid.
Old 03-24-16, 04:45 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,610 Likes on 1,026 Posts

Well, the Civic just got prettier.
Old 03-24-16, 04:55 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
It has a somewhat Mirai look, like the facelifted Prius v: slim headlights, very slim upper grille and a protruding, huge lower grille. But the side intakes on either side of the lower grille have been much reduced in size.

Quick Reply: 2017 Corolla first look