Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2016 Chevy Cruze Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-15, 08:07 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 85 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Let's face it, the Cruze in either generation is welcome over the Cobalt
And even the Cobalt was a vast improvement over the Cavalier. To even call the Cavalier rental-grade was giving it more than it deserved.
Old 06-25-15, 08:13 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by pbm317
I don't know about "minus the quality" of a Toyota. Even today's outgoing Cruze is a fairly substantive vehicle with impressive ride and handling and fairly solid build quality. The Corolla feels a bit cheap and the ride crashes a bit more than even today's Cruze. This new one could push Cruze even farther ahead in terms of quality and refinement. Obviously Corolla will likely still trump the Cruze in sales due to its enormous image and track record of reliability. But don't be so quick to discount the Cruze and the quality of the overall vehicle execution.

Good post, and I agree with most of it. But I just got done with a full-review on the latest Corolla, and it is a pretty nice compact sedan and gives the Cruze a run for its money. Still, you have a point.....GM build-quality has improved enormously in the last several years, while Toyota's often hasn't.
Old 06-26-15, 12:25 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Weak effort. Copying the new Volt and using both to service two markets is a cheap way out compared to before. It should have been admitted first, that two different cars would not be produced. Then it should be admitted here the Volt/Cruze had no future direction, so the six year old Civic and Elantra were chosen as templates. This is a double loss, not progress. And don't give me the every manufacturer copies everyone else. We all know they all do. But the one thing GM had going for it was it's unique and retro/dated styling. Now, that's lost and they are just another copy of someone else. Weak.
I like it and I also don't like it. You are right the current gen has got its own styling going for it. This one looks like a mash up of Hyundai and a S Corolla.
Old 06-26-15, 08:10 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

And don't give me the every manufacturer copies everyone else. We all know they all do.
That's par for the course. Given the huge number of different vehicle designs that have been in concept and/or produced over the years, it's difficult nowadays NOT to end up copying someone else, somewhere down the line. There are few, if any, truly original styling possibilities left.
Old 10-05-16, 08:55 AM
gymratter
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Updated Chevrolet Cruze Diesel Getting Both Manual And Auto 'Boxes

The new 2017 Chevrolet Cruze Diesel will be offered with both a manual and automatic transmission for the first time.

GM Inside News reports that Chevrolet has been prompted to offer the new Cruze Diesel with two transmission options due to poor sales of the previous-gen car which was available exclusively with a six-speed auto.

While speaking with the publication, GM Canada product manager Paul Hewitt said that the manual gearbox will be offered for both sedan and hatchback body styles and all available trim levels except the range-topping Premier model.

When it hits North American shores, the new Cruze Diesel will receive GM's 1.6-liter engine already on offer in Europe, replacing the 2.0-liter unit of the old Cruze. This new engine delivers 136 hp and 275 lb-ft of torque, compared to the 151 hp and 265 lb-ft of the previous unit.

It is thought that alongside the poor sales of the previous model, Chevrolet decided to offer the new Cruze Diesel with two gearboxes and a host of variations to help pull buyers away from Volkswagen.
http://www.carscoops.com/2016/10/upd...l-getting.html

Old 10-09-16, 11:12 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Is it me of does this model look a little small?
Old 10-09-16, 01:46 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Is it me of does this model look a little small?
The Cruze, like the Verano, is rather tall for a compact. That, optically, makes it appear somewhat shorter than it actually is. The same thing can be noted with Subaru's Impreza-based Crosstrek, which sits even further up on stilts.
Old 10-09-16, 09:31 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 162 Likes on 95 Posts

After seeing the newly revealed Honda Civic hatchback last week, this here Cruze is a model of beauty! I'd take this any day over the frumpy, flying Cross- turd Civic hatch.
Old 10-10-16, 11:59 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,218 Likes on 1,438 Posts

After seeing the newly revealed Honda Civic hatchback last week, this here Cruze is a model of beauty! I'd take this any day over the frumpy, flying Cross- turd Civic hatch.
agreed! honda and toyota seem determined to prove that 'young' buyers want fugly cars.
Old 10-12-16, 10:43 AM
gymratter
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sporty or blowing smoke? Chevy says diesel Cruze RS coming

General Motors Company's [NYSE:GM] chief in North America said Tuesday the automaker plans on offering a diesel-powered version of the 2018 Chevy Cruze RS and—gasp—it may actually be fun to drive.

"We designed these to be sporty, as you can see," said Alan Batey, President for GM in North America. "It's fun to drive. You take this look, and you take those performance parts, and you marry it with a diesel. This will be fun to drive."

Batey confirmed Tuesday that Chevy will sell its compact Cruze with a diesel engine in 2017—first as a sedan, then as a hatchback—but didn't specify the diesel's performance.

Separately, GM officials confirmed that the Cruze's diesel would be a turbocharged 1.6-liter inline-4, but stopped short of saying it would be the same 1.6-liter diesel found in the 2018 Chevy Equinox. If it is, we can expect 136 horsepower and 236 pound-feet of torque under the Cruze's hood, mated to either a 6-speed manual transmission or 9-speed automatic—the latter if you're into not having fun.

"They're torque-y... if you have this in a manual, it'll be fun to drive," Batey said. "I would say the whole persona of Cruze is meant to be sporty and youthful. The diesel gives you that performance, particularly because of the torque."

Batey said that the diesel engine will be available across most Cruze models, including all of the hatchbacks, but said that it wouldn't be confined to the "Eco" badge it wore for the first generation. It'll wear all the RS gear available on the hatchback when it goes on sale, and be fitted to performance-minded goodies those models receive.

Batey didn't say how many manual diesel hatchbacks Chevy is planning to sell, and also wouldn't confirm that all of them must could be brown.
http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...ruze-rs-coming
Old 10-17-16, 12:29 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell

Holden version....very clean and sporty IMO
This is the outgoing generation, but I agree that they do a good job of the RS design themes. Not too overwrought
Old 10-17-16, 02:08 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by pbm317
This is the outgoing generation, but I agree that they do a good job of the RS design themes. Not too overwrought
oops my bad.....

nice rear....(even tho I hate fire engine red-unless you're a fire marshall)