IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Question about programming TPMS sensors

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-11, 02:14 AM
felixsc300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Question about programming TPMS sensors

I bought the lobster claw wheels ('09/'10) for my 2008 IS350. The wheels have TPMS mounted in them already from the IS250 they came off of; how would I get them to program and sync to my IS? Do I need a code, or would following the TPMS directions in the owner's manual suffice? I searched but couldn't find an answer to this kind of dilemma.

Thanks! I'll throw up pics when I get them on.

Last edited by felixsc300; 04-22-11 at 02:18 AM.
Old 04-22-11, 03:44 AM
BounceNY
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First off, you will need to take it to someone to program like the Lexus dealer or Toyota dealer. I think some tire/wheel shops can also do this but I'm not 100% sure which one's. Others may chime in with more details on that. What will be needed is the serial numbers on the sensors for them to be programmed. If tires are on there they may need to be removed. This is what I believe happens.

Some have said that the programming software can detect the sensors but others have said that the person programming needed to take the tires off to see the serial numbers.

When they program the sensors, just make sure the car setting (behind/left side of steering wheel) is set to 2nd TPMS not "MAIN" (assuming u are keeping the previous wheels/tpms) and you should be all set.
Old 04-22-11, 03:58 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 257 Likes on 227 Posts

Programming new sensors requires either the dealer scantool (Toyota Techstream), or one of the more advanced third party TPMS programming tools like the Bartech TECH400 Plus.

Programming using the scantool requires removing the tires to read the serial number; programming using the Tech 400 does not. I've heard that most Discount Tire / America's Tire locations have the Bartech tool; call and ask before you bring it in.
The following users liked this post:
Karpazoo (02-28-21)
Old 04-22-11, 06:24 AM
sick
Lexus Test Driver

I just bought some new wheels and tires with tpms, will they write down the serial numbers before they install the tpms? or do i have to get tires removed?
Old 04-22-11, 08:59 AM
BounceNY
Lexus Test Driver

I'd rather be safe, if you have the sensors available write down the numbers or take a picture of each one before you have them installed just in case.
Old 04-22-11, 09:38 AM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 66 Likes on 47 Posts

Take it to a dealer Toyota or Lexus or discount tire. No need to dismount them cause the scanner reads the serial # when it's rite next to the sensor. Take them less then 10min.
Old 04-22-11, 10:08 AM
Namster
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I bought TMPS sensors on ebay about a year ago and had Discount Tires program it. They were able to scan the codes just fine so you shouldn't have a problem with OEM tpms sensors. By now, most tire shops should have the scan tools...but I would call to make sure.
Old 04-22-11, 12:45 PM
funnie
Lexus Test Driver

take it to discount tires. they programmed it for free when i did it =)
Old 04-22-11, 01:58 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 588 Likes on 397 Posts

Originally Posted by Bichon
Programming new sensors requires either the dealer scantool (Toyota Techstream), or one of the more advanced third party TPMS programming tools like the Bartech TECH400 Plus.

Programming using the scantool requires removing the tires to read the serial number; programming using the Tech 400 does not. I've heard that most Discount Tire / America's Tire locations have the Bartech tool; call and ask before you bring it in.
While the Techstream cannot read the ID codes, most dealers will have the TPWS Tester equipment, which that can read the ID codes without dismounting the tires, it even has an optional printer to make labels that can be stuck inside the wheels with the ID codes (especially useful in cars that don't have a dual-system ID storage system for winter tires). This is an ESST (at least in Canada), which means every dealer should have one.

http://toyota.spx.com/detail.aspx?g=22&id=956

If your local dealer/tire shop cannot do it, or it is not functioning correctly, you may need to dismount the tires to get the ID codes. Not the end of the world, but it's definitely easier if you don't have to.

Jeff
Old 04-22-11, 02:27 PM
sick
Lexus Test Driver

So, if i'm going to Toyota for programming, i dont need to give any info? They'll just scan it, i'm good to go?
Old 04-22-11, 02:35 PM
twenty
Pole Position

Originally Posted by sick
So, if i'm going to Toyota for programming, i dont need to give any info? They'll just scan it, i'm good to go?
Yup, no need to write anything down.

My tech informed me if you do write them down, there is no need to note which point they are at...the computer doesn't care where they are installed. You'd think a Lexus would at least be able to tell you, "Low Front Left" or something...nope.
Old 04-23-11, 01:06 PM
flexthatdx
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Which discount tires in Socal has the scanner and are able to do it for free or a small fee?
Old 04-24-11, 09:02 AM
saiyajin
Driver

Originally Posted by Jeff Lange
While the Techstream cannot read the ID codes, most dealers will have the TPWS Tester equipment, which that can read the ID codes without dismounting the tires, it even has an optional printer to make labels that can be stuck inside the wheels with the ID codes (especially useful in cars that don't have a dual-system ID storage system for winter tires). This is an ESST (at least in Canada), which means every dealer should have one.

http://toyota.spx.com/detail.aspx?g=22&id=956

If your local dealer/tire shop cannot do it, or it is not functioning correctly, you may need to dismount the tires to get the ID codes. Not the end of the world, but it's definitely easier if you don't have to.

Jeff

Hey Jeff,

you know any place in town that can set/program the TPMS other than the dealership??
Old 04-24-11, 09:29 AM
funnie
Lexus Test Driver

flex - go to discount tires in pasadena. its on colorado blvd.
Old 04-24-11, 10:45 AM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 588 Likes on 397 Posts

Originally Posted by saiyajin
Hey Jeff,

you know any place in town that can set/program the TPMS other than the dealership??
I think most Kal Tire's are able to, probably a lot of Blaskin & Lane and Fountain Tire locations as well. You'll likely want to call ahead.

Call some Toyota dealerships too, they may have an okay price to do it as well.

Jeff

Quick Reply: Question about programming TPMS sensors