IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Upgrading base model to better package

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-24, 05:02 AM
jedan
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question Upgrading base model to better package

Hey CL veterans, I was wondering if there is a list of all possible package upgrades that are possible to do on a base model to make it look like a better package? Or perhaps what I'm asking is how easy each upgrade is? Now, you may say "just buy one with a better package man", haha easy for you to say, if you don't live in a country where it's easier to find mint condition manual Ferrari than a manual IS250 (and importing is too expensive, for the price of this car, due to stupid emissions tax). However, what's not rare are crashed IS220Ds. So I was wondering, which parts can you just steel from one, and install relatively straightforwardly. This is the list of options that I can think of, and my guess on the level of effort:

1. wood grain - very easy
2. navigation unit - time consuming, but doable if you can follow wiring diagrams and stuff: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-the-swap.html
3. xenons (and washers, levelling mechanism, etc) - not hard if you are fine with some of the features missing, full conversion - forget about it
4. sport pedals - relatively easy
5. memory / leather seats - ??
6. ventilated / heated seats - ??
7. door leather - medium?
8. auto dimming side mirrors - ??
9. auto dimming cabin mirror - medium, you'll have to do some wiring, but it's not complicated
10. parking assist - medium? https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ng-assist.html
11. rain sensor, auto wipers - ??
12. rear shade - forget about it?
13. powered (non-manual) telescopic steering wheel - hard?

Feel fee to guess even if you are not sure, thanks!

EDIT: I've updated the post with info from answers.

Last edited by jedan; 05-28-24 at 08:40 AM. Reason: clarification
Old 05-24-24, 10:16 AM
Inactive
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jedan
Hey CL veterans, I was wondering if there is a list of all possible package upgrades that are possible to do on a base model to make it look like a better package? Or perhaps what I'm asking is how easy each upgrade is? Now, you may say "just buy one with a better package man", haha easy for you to say, if you don't live in a country where it's easier to find mint condition manual Ferrari than a manual IS250 (and importing is too expensive, for the price of this car, due to stupid emissions tax). However, what's not rare are crashed IS220Ds. So I was wondering, which parts can you just steel from one, and install relatively straightforwardly. This is the list of options that I can think of, and my guess on the level of effort:

1. wood grain - easy
2. navigation unit - hard?
3. xenons (and whippers, levelling mechanism, etc) - forget about it
4. sport pedals - medium?
7. door trims - medium?
9. auto dimming cabin mirror - ??
10. parking assist - medium? https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ng-assist.html
11. rain sensor, auto whippers - ??
13. automatic steering wheel - hard?

so far the only thing i’ve added that i didn’t have was the park assist. i’ll be getting the sport pedals soon, and i’ll also be looking into figuring out how to retrofit the memory seats.
The following users liked this post:
jedan (05-27-24)
Old 05-27-24, 07:16 PM
jedan
Rookie

If you do anything, can you please post links here (to you thread if you make one, or your research). Thanks!
Old 05-27-24, 07:31 PM
Inactive
Rookie

i'll be sure to try and document what i can if i do this, i'm also gonna be looking into the rear sunshade because im pretty sure its alot easier than the memory seats.
Old 05-27-24, 07:45 PM
Zmon
Racer

Received 218 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by jedan

1. wood grain - easy
2. navigation unit - hard?
3. xenons (and whippers, levelling mechanism, etc) - forget about it
4. sport pedals - medium?
7. door trims - medium?
9. auto dimming cabin mirror - ??
11. rain sensor, auto whippers - ??
13. automatic steering wheel - hard?

I'll tackle a few. Honestly, most of them are not worth it as they require more than a simple swap (extra components/computers, rewiring, etc). The costs involved for some of them are just straight up not worth doing if you can't find a car that already has those options.

1. Simply a swap
2. Nav swap: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-the-swap.html
3. It is a direct swap, but the bi-xenon and the AFS will not work without rewiring if you have factory halogens. If you dont care about AFS, you can skip that step with the 11+ led strip headlights. You'll have to do some searching around here for those who have done the swap.
4. Simply a swap.
5. Leather seats should be a direct swap, most here are based in the US though and leather was the base option so you may not be able to find too much info on the cloth seat swap. Memory seats are not happening though.
9. I dont believe the base 250 with the non auto dimming rear view mirror is prewired for it, so you'll have to tap into the wires in the headliner. Not hard at all.
jedan (05-28-24)
Old 05-27-24, 07:54 PM
Inactive
Rookie

For the memory seats I believe its 100% possible and would just take time and money. What is the automatic steering wheel and door trims you mentioned? Also, have you not considered doing the parking assist retrofit? Its actually really easy, and I can help you out with it if you have any questions.

I'll be seeing about doing mods 4, 5, and 12.
Old 05-28-24, 12:23 AM
jedan
Rookie

By "door trims", I mean changing door interior parts to leather. Not sure how easy is to switch only the leather parts, but I've seen people basically just changing the whole inner part of the door (usually to fix rotting plastic issue). I don't think it's hard, probably just time consuming. By "automatic steering wheel" I mean powered (non manual) telescopic wheel, that auto adjusts itself into driving position when you start the car. I'll edit the post to make it clearer.

Yes, parking assist is on top of my list, that one is arguably the only "must have" one for me. But it's parts are in high demand, so you gotta be quick, I was already late couple of times . I think I'll probably end up gathering all the parts from ebay...
Old 05-28-24, 12:34 AM
Inactive
Rookie

Oh yeah I'll definitely be seeing about getting my door panels wrapped in leather, I also got the sticky dash issue. I'm pretty sure the powered telescopic steering wheel is tied in with the memory seats, but I don't see why you couldn't just install it by itself, which I'm actually going to see about doing. All I should need for that is the powered steering column and the switch that actually moves it.
Old 05-28-24, 12:49 AM
jedan
Rookie

1. Simply a swap
2. Nav swap: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-the-swap.html
3. It is a direct swap, but the bi-xenon and the AFS will not work without rewiring if you have factory halogens. If you dont care about AFS, you can skip that step with the 11+ led strip headlights. You'll have to do some searching around here for those who have done the swap.
4. Simply a swap.
5. Leather seats should be a direct swap, most here are based in the US though and leather was the base option so you may not be able to find too much info on the cloth seat swap. Memory seats are not happening though.
9. I dont believe the base 250 with the non auto dimming rear view mirror is prewired for it, so you'll have to tap into the wires in the headliner. Not hard at all.
Thanks for reply . The issue with xenons in EU is that you also need to have auto levelling mechanism and washers installed. I saw a thread once where someone was attempting a proper conversion, and was shocked at the amount of effort it took (I don't think they managed to pull it of 100%). Best option IMO is to just get aftermarket LEDs. Unless you are in ****ing EU again, and you can't run aftermarket legally (none have homologation certificates ). Not sure about the facelift headlights though. Have they replaced HIDs with LEDs? Or you get the LED strip with halogen and xenon options? In any case I'm pretty sure they don' fit out of the box. I think you need to do some light drilling and perhaps the facelift bumber too...

Last edited by jedan; 05-28-24 at 12:53 AM.
Old 05-28-24, 04:22 AM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 603 Likes on 404 Posts

Honestly swapping from halogen to HID is very easy if you don't care about the leveling and/or AFS. If you do care about that, it's still possible, just more work. Headlight washers are also relatively straightforward, but quite a few parts involved.

Jeff
jedan (05-28-24)
Old 05-28-24, 08:24 AM
jedan
Rookie

Originally Posted by Jeff Lange
Honestly swapping from halogen to HID is very easy if you don't care about the leveling and/or AFS. If you do care about that, it's still possible, just more work. Headlight washers are also relatively straightforward, but quite a few parts involved.

Jeff
Thanks Jeff. Well I guess after swapping 4GR to 2GR everything else is very doable

Btw, while I have your attention, do you know where I can find PGEAR FW1224005 steel SMF? It seems it has disappeared from the internet... Or can you perhaps recommend some other steel SMF? IIRC you were using it temporarily because it was cheap. Are you on some other setup now (just post links to thread if you have one, thanks)?