IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

DIY: Adding OEM Lexus Parking Assist

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-18, 06:31 PM
trujtru
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default DIY: Adding OEM Lexus Parking Assist

There was a thread about this previously.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...rk-assist.html

The main reason I did this was to prove it could be done and for the front sensors to help with parallel parking. The front sensors don't seem to work that well and I'm not sure if it's a problem with the ones I bought or just how it works, which makes me a little sad.

Parts I ordered and what I paid:
Clearance Warning Control Module - PN# 89340-53020 - $34 - OEM - used off eBay
Rear Wire Harness - PN# 82183-53010 - $40 - OEM - used off eBay
Front Wire Harness - PN# 82114-53020 - $48 - OEM
Rear Center Sensors x2 - PN# 89341-30020-C1 (C1 is for black obsidian color) - $22 off eBay for 4 pieces
Front and Rear Corner Sensors x4 - PN# 89341-30010-C3 (C3 is for black obsidian color) - $22 off eBay for 4 pieces
Clearance Warning Buzzer - PN# 89343-30010 - $12 used off eBay
Sensor Retainer clips x 6 - PN# 89348-44010 $18 - OEM

Approximately $200 total

Things You Need:
10mm socket and wrench
Flat head screw driver / Clip tool remover
Dremel / Drill

Steps:
1) Remove the carpet / lining in the trunk on the driver side to access the plug for the warning control module.
I used this video to remove part of the lining.
Then it's just to remove the clips and the hook on the side.

2) Once all that is done, bend back the carpet / liner and look for the plug on the driver side. It should be pretty deep down there. Image of the plug below

3) Plug in the Clearance Sensor Module and You should get the below. Of course it shows there's a problem because the sensors are not plugged in

Time to install the sensors.
4) I removed the bumpers to install the sensors. I did the rear bumper first. I used this video for the instructions to remove it.

5) Once the bumper is removed, there are markings on the inside of the bumper that will tell you where to drill the holes. The marking look like the below. Look for it carefully, they will be there on the OEM bumper. Drill the 4 holes and shape it with the dremel.

6) Put the sensor through your newly created hole. It may be a little stiff and you may need to adjust the hole a little bit. There should be two larger sensors in the center and two smaller sensors on the corners. You can buy all the same size sensors if you want because it will all plug into the harness the same, but I decided to do it how it came from factory. Put all the sensors in same direction and slide on the sensor retainer clip. There are grooves on the sensor where the retainer clips slides in.The retainer clip is also where you will attach the harness, which is why it's important to put them all in the same direction.

7) Plug in the sensors. There is a hole on the driver side with a grommet in it. Remove the grommet and thread the harness through that hole. The harness should have a grommet as part of it to plug up the hole.

8) The harness should now be in the trunk. Pull it in as far as possible and plug it in. The connection to plug in the harness should be right where the harness enters the trunk. Now that it is plugged, the rear should work. Re-install the rear bumper

9) Now the rear is done. Do the same for the front. Used the NIA video to remove the front bumper.

10) Again look for the markings on the corner of the bumper and drill the holes. Install the sensors (they should be the smaller sensors) with the retainer clips.

11) Use the harness and plug into the sensors. There's a connector on the driver side that is plugged into a "blank" receptacle. The blank receptacle should be attached on the driver fog light itself. Unplug the connector from that receptacle and plug your harness to that connector. Re-install the front bumper

12) The final part is to install the clearance warning buzzer. The buzzer is installed behind the radio / climate control unit, so you have to remove that part. I used this video for instructions to remove the radio.

13) Once the radio is removed, looked for a taped connector near the driver side. It should look like the below. Install the buzzer

14) Reinstall everything. Enjoy the parking assist.

Last edited by trujtru; 04-26-19 at 08:18 PM.
Old 11-20-18, 07:01 PM
metaleckz
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Thanks for the DIY, i bought a used 2011+ front bumper with no parking sensor holes for my MY09 2IS (w parking sensor). It should be easy then since it has a guide for the holes
Old 11-20-18, 07:07 PM
trujtru
Driver

Originally Posted by metaleckz
Thanks for the DIY, i bought a used 2011+ front bumper with no parking sensor holes for my MY09 2IS (w parking sensor). It should be easy then since it has a guide for the holes
Question about your front sensors. When you're driving and about to park, or parallel park, does the front sensors beep when you get too close to an object? What's your real life experience of it?
Old 11-21-18, 07:29 AM
Phantom_89
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

This is helpful in understanding the system. My rear center parking sensors stopped working a while ago and I get above pictured check sonar message for the rear center sensors only.

I've had the sensors replaced by insurance after a I got rear-ended but that did not fix the problem. According to this it's a single wire harness for all 4 sensors in the back?

I guess I can take the bumper off and inspect the harness for continuity.
Old 11-21-18, 10:36 AM
trujtru
Driver

Originally Posted by Phantom_89
This is helpful in understanding the system. My rear center parking sensors stopped working a while ago and I get above pictured check sonar message for the rear center sensors only.

I've had the sensors replaced by insurance after a I got rear-ended but that did not fix the problem. According to this it's a single wire harness for all 4 sensors in the back?

I guess I can take the bumper off and inspect the harness for continuity.
Yup, single wire harness for all 4 sensors
Old 06-05-21, 07:14 AM
JoeyChong
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi trujtru, one fantastic DIY job you have done there! By the way, I have a 2009 IS250 which is basic spec with 2 rear sensors at the back. I am thinking to have it upgraded to 6 sensors like what Park Assist Offers. However, I have some questions on this:

1. Do you have any sensors in the first place before you install this Park Assist system?
2. I'm thinking does my car have an ECU in the side of the trunk too for connecting the 2 sensors? Since I do not have the screen, what I needed is actually just the beeping of the system to help parking into tight spaces. If I were to go with aftermarket system, I will have disconnect the original box in the trunk. I'm thinking will it throw off any error code if I were to disconnect the original park ECU?

Regards,
Joey
Old 06-13-21, 09:04 PM
trujtru
Driver

I did not have parking sensors prior to this install, hence the DIY. The OEM system comes with 4 rear, 2 in front, so I don't know what system you have, but doesn't sound like OEM. If any of those 6 sensors are missing, you would get a warning error on your dash.

If you plan to replace your existing one, just follow the DIY, and you should be fine.

Good luck
Old 08-30-23, 12:09 PM
GreenMachine
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This was exactly what I was looking for. Was any programing or software modifications required to add the OEM parking sensors?

I should have all the parts from an IS250 2007 that i want to transfer to my IS350 2006.

TIA,
Jeremy