NX - 2nd Gen (2022-current)

Rear side windows move / wobble left and right when touched

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-24, 10:14 PM
omgitssimon
2nd gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Rear side windows move / wobble left and right when touched

I have a new 2024 NX 250. Is it normal for the rear side windows to be easily moved left and right when touched? I noticed this when wiping my windows after a car wash. I've asked an auto glass shop and they said that it comes factory like that. Deciding if I should go ask Lexus Service. TIA
Attached Files
File Type: mov
IMG_4409.mov (2.77 MB, 41 views)
Old 05-23-24, 08:53 AM
TheCDN
Pit Crew

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Yes it's normal. My '22 does it too. It's a little disconcerting at first, but I think the setup is so that the window doesn't bind when going up and down. The window is bolted into position on the regulator track assembly, there is some play in this assembly which looks somewhat like a scissor jack that raises and lowers the window. The slack helps out so when it closes up at top it can shift a bit to make a good seal all along top mating surface with rubber seal. I think it's a simplified design compared to earlier designs where everything was quite firm with no shifting. Plus, there's a sensitivity built in to the motor operation so that it will reverse if something is in the way like your arm or a kids / pet's head .

Last edited by TheCDN; 05-23-24 at 09:43 AM.
The following users liked this post:
omgitssimon (05-23-24)
Old 05-23-24, 08:29 PM
omgitssimon
2nd gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by TheCDN
Yes it's normal. My '22 does it too. It's a little disconcerting at first, but I think the setup is so that the window doesn't bind when going up and down. The window is bolted into position on the regulator track assembly, there is some play in this assembly which looks somewhat like a scissor jack that raises and lowers the window. The slack helps out so when it closes up at top it can shift a bit to make a good seal all along top mating surface with rubber seal. I think it's a simplified design compared to earlier designs where everything was quite firm with no shifting. Plus, there's a sensitivity built in to the motor operation so that it will reverse if something is in the way like your arm or a kids / pet's head .
Thanks so much for your explanation and confirming that with me 🙏! I've been trying to search everywhere online to see if anyone else talked about this issue. It definitely felt weird at first, especially when I was wiping the windows and it moved around. I came from a 2022 RAV4 and currently also have a 2019 Highlander and their windows do not shift like that. Now that you explained the design, it does make sense to me. It does sound like the windows are sealed better when rolled all the way up. There is definitely a lot less wind noise compared to the RAV4. Interesting! I did not know there is sensitivity built in; a nice and safe feature. First time owning a Lexus and coming from Toyotas, there are so many features that are different that it can get a little overwhelming!

Old 05-24-24, 10:02 AM
TheCDN
Pit Crew

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Another note for window operation, the windows down and up speed is such that after you press for auto down or up when the window is almost finished it's travel the speed slows down so it doesn't make a 'thud' sound as it hits the stopping point. It's a Lexus thing they do with their windows.
The following users liked this post:
omgitssimon (05-25-24)