Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX450H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation RX models.

Hybrid Issues?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-23, 03:01 PM
GaryP
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hybrid Issues?

Would appreciate thoughts on the RX350h. Are there any inherent problems or maintenance issues that are cause for concern? Any other drawbacks?
Thank you
Old 11-03-23, 03:53 PM
salimshah

Received 1,017 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by GaryP
Would appreciate thoughts on the RX350h. Are there any inherent problems or maintenance issues that are cause for concern? Any other drawbacks?
Thank you
Hybrid naming is bit different and that would be 450H for this third generation.

Please add year and milage to get more apt responses, that is if you have narrowed down to a particular vehicle.

Also read up on the differences between the hybrid and non-hybrid. Since you are not buying new, the rebates would not apply [they can be a good reason to purchase the hybrid]. Also read up on Lexus Hybrid design approach. If you were to ask me to only make one statement
Hybrids shine in stop and go.
If that does not apply, I would suggest buy the non-hybrid.

Salim
Old 11-03-23, 04:43 PM
GaryP
3rd Gear

It was a typo on my end, I was referring to the 450h. I currently have the RX350 and considering moving into a new 450h. Just concerned about issues with a hybrid. Any additional feedback is appreciated.
Thank you
Old 11-03-23, 11:08 PM
RadiantX45
Pit Crew

Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

It was a typo on my end, I was referring to the 450h. I currently have the RX350 and considering moving into a new 450h. Just concerned about issues with a hybrid. Any additional feedback is appreciated.
Thank you
You have a what year RX350? and what year RX450h do you want to buy?
Old 11-04-23, 08:44 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,116 Likes on 952 Posts

If you are considering a new 2023 /2024 RX hybrid I recomend you go to the forum for that generation vehicle.
Old 11-04-23, 10:10 AM
salimshah

Thank you
Please list items that are important to you. Currently you have left it open ended and it needs to be narrowed down.

Hybrid is gasoline and electric and 350 is just gasoline. Be aware that if the hybrid dies/not-working and even if the ice is working the vehicle is dead. You can not leave the hybrid garaged [not driven] for more than 3 weeks [estimate] at a stretch.
Hybrid is excellent in stop and go traffic. If you are cruising at 55 or higher the gas engine is running the vehicle.
Concerns about hybrid battery are some what over discussed but should last 10-12 years.

Ask a specific question and we can try to answer.

Salim
Old 11-05-23, 12:11 PM
GaryP
3rd Gear

OK thank you for the feedback. I'll post my question in the correct correct area, (5th gen RX Models).
Old 11-05-23, 03:41 PM
salimshah

Default If you want the thread moved

Send private mail to Cluthless or any other mod to move the thread for you.

Salim
Old 04-08-24, 08:32 AM
nowlen
10th Gear

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by salimshah
Please list items that are important to you. Currently you have left it open ended and it needs to be narrowed down.

Hybrid is gasoline and electric and 350 is just gasoline. Be aware that if the hybrid dies/not-working and even if the ice is working the vehicle is dead. You can not leave the hybrid garaged [not driven] for more than 3 weeks [estimate] at a stretch.
Hybrid is excellent in stop and go traffic. If you are cruising at 55 or higher the gas engine is running the vehicle.
Concerns about hybrid battery are some what over discussed but should last 10-12 years.

Ask a specific question and we can try to answer.

Salim
What happens if you leave it in the garage for 3 weeks, does it get lonely?
Old 04-08-24, 05:18 PM
salimshah

Originally Posted by nowlen
What happens if you leave it in the garage for 3 weeks, does it get lonely?
The starter for the internal combustion engine is the traction motor which is run by the high voltage battery. The high voltage battery is charged by the ICE. For this sort of chicken and egg situation, it is important to have enough charge on the high voltage battery. If the high voltage battery drops below the minimum then you have to have the vehicle towed to get the high voltage battery charged up [dealer or specialized shops].

Salim

Old 05-06-24, 07:49 PM
gcskoor
Pit Crew

Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts

Just some additional thoughts on how long you can leave a hybrid. It is generally recommend it you are looking for short (3 +months ) to much longer storage, a hybrid is probably not your best choice. 3 weeks for the HV is probably ok, if left in a 50% charge level.

On the HV battery, the Li-Ion have much lower self-discharge vs the NiMh HV battery, so a Li-Ion would be a less risk in general. But as noted, if you go into a low charge state, you risk even damaging the battery beyond getting the tow and the dealer to recharge it. You just don't want to go there.

On the 12v battery, a smart battery maintained is absolutely needed with the higher drain on new cars. Even 3 weeks might be dicy depending the storage conditions. However, even if you discharge the 12vbattery beyond repair or a jump charge, it is low cost compared to the HV battery to just replace.