EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Arrived...2023 Model Y in Black

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-23, 06:09 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 1,842 Likes on 1,419 Posts
Default Arrived...2023 Model Y in Black

Before I start this thread, I just to want to mention a few things. Some of you are reading this and saying, "not another EV thread please". To those who feel this way, I can only tell you, I'm not trying to convert or convince anyone into adopting EV's. This is a personal choice. I'm only trying to share information on my experiences, which may be helpful to other EV owners and potential buyers, or to those on the fence, or those trying to just get a better understanding of why people like me gave up 30 years of ICE ownership and now mostly drive fully electric battery vehicles. If you are still not convinced and don't really care what I have to say, then my suggestion is the Ignore list. You will never have to read anything else I post ever again. My hope though is that nobody goes through this extreme and keeps an open mind and at least hear me out. Now that I have that out of the way, on with the thread.

As many of you already know from my posts in the Tesla Business Thread, I decided to go ahead and order a Model Y Long Range much earlier than I had planned. The price drop was just irresistible, bringing the price down from $54,630 to $49,995. This makes it one the best priced midsized SUV's on the market. I picked the Model Y for a few other reasons, such as it roominess, cargo space, comfort, efficiency and range as well as utility. As far as HP, it boasts 425 HP/475 ft-lbs torque and an impressive 127 City/117 MPGe hwy and 330 miles range. It has a Lithium Iron phosphate battery pack that allows you to charge to 100 percent, unlike the Lithium Ion batteries where recommended charging is up to 80 or 90 percent SoC. It also supports 250 kW charging, giving you fast recharging capabilities.

Another reason for picking the Model Y is their charging infrastructure which is the best built out of any other. I've mentioned this also previously, I travel 4 to 5 times a year doing 800 or more miles (round trip), and the Tesla Fast Charging network is second to none. They are numerous, reliable and well maintained. Plus with a CCS adapter, you can tap non Tesla charging infrastructure if you are ever in a pinch.

The ordering process was seamless. It took 10 minutes to spec out my build, than another 10 minutes to apply to a third party lender (I decided to go with a credit union to get a lower interest rate). I literally did it from my couch. This included uploading requested documents. Any updates and requests are done from the Tesla app, and once my Tesla is built out and assigned a VIN, I will forward the paperwork to the lender, who will issue payment directly to Tesla. Anything I owe like the down payment, I will ACH transfer (or use credit card) to Tesla. The car then will either be delivered to my home, work, or I can go and pick it up from the Tesla factory in Fremont. When the car is ready, no human interaction is required, I inspect the car for any issues, confirm in the app that everything is OK (or reject delivery), pair the car with the app, activate the key cards, and I'm done!

When I get my Y (sometime between April 30th and May 15th), I'll do a full review on it. I've spent a lot of time with my brother in laws Model 3, and I've spent some time with a friends Y, so I pretty much know what to expect, but still you really don't learn the nitty gritty details until you've owned it, driven it and lived it with it for awhile. More to come...
Old 04-23-23, 06:16 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Can’t wait to read the full review
Old 04-23-23, 07:03 PM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Received 449 Likes on 312 Posts

The buying process is a snap, as you point out. In Mid Dec 2018, I had had surgery and was on crutches, not allowed to put weight on my left foot. On a late Sunday afternoon, I asked wifey Sue what she thought of the Tesla Model 3, which was offering $7,500 Federal tax credit if you took delivery before 1/1/2019. I could not drive, but we drove over to Sunnyvale Tesla store, just for fun. Lotsa people, lotsa lookey loos. Pretty fascinating cars; pure Silicon Valley stuff. Sue took a test drive down Wolfe Road (Amirza knows this area) and up 280 North. Got back. I asked Sue what she thought; we had never discussed a Tesla and had bought an RX450h earlier in the year. She liked the car; more so intrigued, so the sales kid looked into inventory and found a white RWD Mid Range with the better wheels. Gave 'em a credit card for $500 and went home. She transferred the balance within the next few days and the car appeared in out driveway right around Christmas. Nuthin' to it, except I shoulda bought stock. Who knew?

I will buy another; likely the Highland later this year. TBT, no other car interests me.
By the way, the Y is a great choice!

Last edited by JeffKeryk; 04-23-23 at 07:06 PM.
Old 04-23-23, 07:27 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
The buying process is a snap, as you point out. In Mid Dec 2018, I had had surgery and was on crutches, not allowed to put weight on my left foot. On a late Sunday afternoon, I asked wifey Sue what she thought of the Tesla Model 3, which was offering $7,500 Federal tax credit if you took delivery before 1/1/2019. I could not drive, but we drove over to Sunnyvale Tesla store, just for fun. Lotsa people, lotsa lookey loos. Pretty fascinating cars; pure Silicon Valley stuff. Sue took a test drive down Wolfe Road (Amirza knows this area) and up 280 North. Got back. I asked Sue what she thought; we had never discussed a Tesla and had bought an RX450h earlier in the year. She liked the car; more so intrigued, so the sales kid looked into inventory and found a white RWD Mid Range with the better wheels. Gave 'em a credit card for $500 and went home. She transferred the balance within the next few days and the car appeared in out driveway right around Christmas. Nuthin' to it, except I shoulda bought stock. Who knew?

I will buy another; likely the Highland later this year. TBT, no other car interests me.
By the way, the Y is a great choice!

I remember the Tesla show room on El Camino Real, I literally lived on the same street about half mile away, the In and out was across the street! My daughter and I used to walk past it when she was about eight years old. I don't think that showroom is there anymore
Old 04-23-23, 07:56 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

Congrats on the car. I think for you a Tesla is a no- brainer especially with discounted pricing. Did you look at Mach E at all? I’m planning to test drive it but sitting inside it was not impressive.

The ordering process is simple because Tesla has almost no options and 2 interior colors and no trims to choose from. That works for their business model and especially for entry level cars.

Once you go more upmarket, ppl expect more choices for colors, options, wheels etc to make it their own. This is where it helps to have additional support to make those decisions.
Old 04-23-23, 08:07 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
Congrats on the car. I think for you a Tesla is a no- brainer especially with discounted pricing. Did you look at Mach E at all? I’m planning to test drive it but sitting inside it was not impressive.

The ordering process is simple because Tesla has almost no options and 2 interior colors and no trims to choose from. That works for their business model and especially for entry level cars.

Once you go more upmarket, ppl expect more choices for colors, options, wheels etc to make it their own. This is where it helps to have additional support to make those decisions.
Thanks. And I agree. If you are looking for uplevel luxury and lots of options, than Tesla is not your brand. I'm not really interested in the Mach-e, I never really liked it. I have a friend that owns both a Mach-e and Model Y, lives in the Hayward hills in the East bay (across the bay from SF) and told me the Mach-e handles the hilly roads like a boat while his Model Y has really good handling on the winding roads. He's thinking about selling his Mach-e. He's had it only since last summer

EDIT

BTW, you do have tire and rim options (19", 20" etc) and Tesla has an online accessory store, everything from roof racks, all weather mats, etc

https://shop.tesla.com/category/vehi...sories/model-y

You order these separately

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 04-23-23 at 08:18 PM.
Old 04-23-23, 09:12 PM
xGS350x
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

1. Why not wait a bit longer to play the field and see what other EVs are coming out?
2. Why not rent a car whenever you take a road trip so that you don't have to worry about range?
3. I don't see why the state of Cali should spend an enormous amount of money upgrade their infrastructure to make way for EVs. They can't even fix the homeless problem or address road congestion problems and now they want to cater to EVs?

Last edited by xGS350x; 04-23-23 at 09:16 PM.
Old 04-23-23, 09:22 PM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Congrats on the Model Y! The car has been great and you'll love the charging network for sure!
Old 04-23-23, 09:30 PM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 120 Likes on 67 Posts

Congrats again, but did you get the AWD or the LR?

The base AWD is based on the 4680 battery with a proprietary chemistry mixture. The MYLR is a 2170 with NCA mixture. The only LFP battery that Tesla uses afaik is on the base M3 SR+.

Congrats again nevertheless!
Old 04-23-23, 09:31 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by xGS350x
1. Why not wait a bit longer to play the field and see what other EVs are coming out?
2. Why not rent a car whenever you take a road trip so that you don't have to worry about range?
3. I don't see why the state of Cali should spend an enormous amount of money upgrade their infrastructure to make way for EVs.
To your first point. already made my decision. Done. To your second point, why? I don't worry about range. I've already taken enough trips in my Polestar and haven't had any issues with long distance travel. Tesla's just make it that much easier because they have much better charging infrastructure (more chargers). If I have to really go somewhere far (like outside of California) I'll just fly. And lastly, Tesla built and paid for their own infrastructure all over North America. As far as California building charging infrastructure, they aren't. The Federal government is funding it because they are pushing for EV adoption.

These are the answers to your questions, I have nothing else to add to the matter, and hopefully you won't go off on a tangent
Old 04-23-23, 09:37 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ST430
Congrats again, but did you get the AWD or the LR?

The base AWD is based on the 4680 battery with a proprietary chemistry mixture. The MYLR is a 2170 with NCA mixture. The only LFP battery that Tesla uses afaik is on the base M3 SR+.

Congrats again nevertheless!
I got the Long Range, which is AWD as well:

I see what you are saying about the battery. My brother in Law has the Model 3 base RWD and Tesla told him he has the Lithium Iron battery pack

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 04-23-23 at 09:41 PM.
Old 04-23-23, 09:48 PM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 120 Likes on 67 Posts

Yup, you have the 2170 NCA battery! 👍

I had the LFP (Lithium Iron Phosphate) as well in my M3 SR+...it liked to be charged to 100% on a daily basis, but it's not as energy dense as the NCA, hence you it had less range and less mileage compared to the NCA SR before...

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
I got the Long Range, which is AWD as well:

I see what you are saying about the battery. My brother in Law has the Model 3 base RWD and Tesla told him he has the Lithium Iron battery pack
Old 04-24-23, 04:38 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 123 Likes on 93 Posts

Figure out a way to make it look more like performance
Old 04-24-23, 05:42 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,133 Likes on 1,382 Posts

i find the whole musical batteries types hard to follow...

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
... It has a Lithium Iron phosphate battery pack that allows you to charge to 100 percent, unlike the Lithium Ion batteries where recommended charging is up to 80 or 90 percent SoC.
can you say what made you believe it had the iron battery pack?

Yup, you have the 2170 NCA battery! 👍

I had the LFP (Lithium Iron Phosphate) as well in my M3 SR+...it liked to be charged to 100% on a daily basis, but it's not as energy dense as the NCA, hence you it had less range and less mileage compared to the NCA SR before...
yup, can't follow any of that.

nca? lfp? 2170? 4680? i know some of it, the 4680 is larger cells which were touted for years before they came out (including on here) as the great breakthrough yet it seems tesla still doesn't use them widely for some reason, why is that? the iron batteries seem inferior... are they?

when you order a tesla, do you have ANY idea what's going to be in it, or do you just have to read thousands of posts and articles to 'believe' what it will have?
Old 04-24-23, 05:44 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,133 Likes on 1,382 Posts

AMIRZA786 - when you get the Y you'll have 3 EV's, right? last gen ioniq, polestar 2, and new Y?

Quick Reply: Arrived...2023 Model Y in Black