Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2022 and up NX hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the NX Hybrid models. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other 2nd generation NX models.

NX350H clunk/thunk noise when releasing brake

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-23, 05:55 PM
2023NX350h
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default NX350H clunk/thunk noise when releasing brake

Hi All

I have always noticed this loud thunk/clunking noise coming from the rear of the car when I release the brakes. It is louder when going from park to drive after the car has been parked for awhile. I also noticed it after braking when driving. Is this nornal? Any one else have this? I have mentioned it twice on both the first and the 8000km inspection at Lexus and they have said there was no issue and mechanically everything is fine. My previous cars didn't have this noise. I even drove a RAV4 for 2 months and didn't notice the same issue which is odd considering they are the same platform....
Old 03-25-23, 05:16 AM
OPorz
Driver

Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by 2023NX350h
Hi All

I have always noticed this loud thunk/clunking noise coming from the rear of the car when I release the brakes. It is louder when going from park to drive after the car has been parked for awhile. I also noticed it after braking when driving. Is this nornal? Any one else have this? I have mentioned it twice on both the first and the 8000km inspection at Lexus and they have said there was no issue and mechanically everything is fine. My previous cars didn't have this noise. I even drove a RAV4 for 2 months and didn't notice the same issue which is odd considering they are the same platform....
This sounds like the auto parking brake disengaging although it’s not a loud thunk, more of a strong release or pull as you shift from park to drive. It certainly shouldn’t be doing it while already in drive.

I’d request a mechanic sits in the car with you while driving to show them.
The following users liked this post:
2023NX350h (03-28-23)
Old 03-25-23, 09:06 AM
jardlr
Driver

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

We are having a brake issue with a NX 350 Turbo. It happens (intermittently) when the engine auto shuts off, then when releasing the brake (engine starts), there is a groan (I can feel it in the brake pedal). Brought it to dealer twice and they couldn't replicate even though my wife was able to record it on her phone and show them. She found others with the same issue on NX Facebook forums and they aren't able to replicate on-demand for the dealer, so no resolution.

When I was driving one day, it was happening consistently, so I drove right to the dealer and service writer went for a ride and of course, it stopped happening.

So far, we can only replicate when the engine automatically turns off (which I can't stand to begin with; yes, I know I can temp disable it)
Old 03-25-23, 10:59 AM
Itsmeoscat
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Here are some of my findings on the brakes:

1. After the car parked in my garage for the whole night, when I drive it out in the morning and release the auto parking brake, I always hear a clunking sound that feels like the brakes were stuck together overnight. However, I have not noticed any issues while driving.

2. While driving, I have noticed a groaning sound when I lightly press on the brakes before coming to a complete stop. If I release the brakes slowly, the sound comes out again. I have also noticed similar sounds on my large caravan, especially when the weather is wet, such as during rain or snow. During my last visit to the dealership, the technician told me that this is normal and is caused by the materials used in the brake pads, something like more eco-friendly materials.

3. In one of my previous posts, I mentioned that I have noticed rust on the front rotor inner rings, about 1/2 inches. I believe I have discovered the reason for this. Since the hybrid model uses the brakes less frequently, sometimes when I wash my car on my way home from work and then only drive a short distance of about 1 km to my house, the brake pads/rotors do not dry completely, leading to more rust. However, last month, when we had good weather and I did not wash my car as often, I noticed that the rust began to disappear slowly.
Old 03-25-23, 11:33 AM
watmind
Rookie

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

I’ve noticed this exact same issue OP described with my 2023 NX. Mentioned this during my first service and was told that this is “normal”, never had this happen in any of my other cars. It’s almost like the breaks are sticky when you release them and make this thunking noice.

A couple of things I’ve observed:

1. When parking, before hitting the P button, press down on the breaks all the way, as far as the break peddle will go, then put the car in park before turning it off. I find going this typically eliminates the noise when shifting out of park in the morning.

2. The thunking noise seems to be a lot less and somethings even non existent when the brakes are wet., I’ve also noticed with the weather warming up the noise is a little less but not by much.

I’m going to mention this again again when I go in for my next service.
Old 03-28-23, 06:05 AM
2023NX350h
Rookie

Originally Posted by OPorz
This sounds like the auto parking brake disengaging although it’s not a loud thunk, more of a strong release or pull as you shift from park to drive. It certainly shouldn’t be doing it while already in drive.

I’d request a mechanic sits in the car with you while driving to show them.
They've told me to record a video which is what I'm going to do. It's pretty much anytime the brake is released so even when in driving mode and im releasing brake from being stopped. I thought it might be since the car is new and the brakes are sticking but I just test drive a NX450h today with less kms and it doesn't have this sound.
Old 03-28-23, 06:08 AM
2023NX350h
Rookie

Originally Posted by watmind
I’ve noticed this exact same issue OP described with my 2023 NX. Mentioned this during my first service and was told that this is “normal”, never had this happen in any of my other cars. It’s almost like the breaks are sticky when you release them and make this thunking noice.

A couple of things I’ve observed:

1. When parking, before hitting the P button, press down on the breaks all the way, as far as the break peddle will go, then put the car in park before turning it off. I find going this typically eliminates the noise when shifting out of park in the morning.

2. The thunking noise seems to be a lot less and somethings even non existent when the brakes are wet., I’ve also noticed with the weather warming up the noise is a little less but not by much.

I’m going to mention this again again when I go in for my next service.
hmmm...some good tips! I'll see if I can try this out and see if it helps. Still going to have them fix it as I don't think it's normal and definitely not with a "luxury vehicle"
Old 06-27-23, 05:30 AM
gseveri
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi guys,
Did anyone get a solution? My 2022 NX 250 has the same issue.
Old 06-28-23, 04:34 PM
2023NX350h
Rookie

Originally Posted by gseveri
Hi guys,
Did anyone get a solution? My 2022 NX 250 has the same issue.
Nope....I didn't get a chance to do the video amd show the dealership as I traded my 2023 NX350H for a 2022 NX450H+.
In the 450H+ there is still the clunking noise when releasing the brake. The issue when releasing the brake from park doesn't seem to happen with this car though.
Old 09-12-23, 07:49 AM
Solid
5th Gear

i have a 2017 lexus nx200t that there is a clunk noise when the suv has been sit all night once i get it out from the garage i can hear the clunk noise from park to reverse. i have always used the EPB so i know is not that.

could this be a transmission or motor mount?

also once the car has been driving for a while the noise is not there anymore.
Old 09-12-23, 08:09 AM
Solid
5th Gear

Originally Posted by Itsmeoscat
Here are some of my findings on the brakes:

1. After the car parked in my garage for the whole night, when I drive it out in the morning and release the auto parking brake, I always hear a clunking sound that feels like the brakes were stuck together overnight. However, I have not noticed any issues while driving.

2. While driving, I have noticed a groaning sound when I lightly press on the brakes before coming to a complete stop. If I release the brakes slowly, the sound comes out again. I have also noticed similar sounds on my large caravan, especially when the weather is wet, such as during rain or snow. During my last visit to the dealership, the technician told me that this is normal and is caused by the materials used in the brake pads, something like more eco-friendly materials.

3. In one of my previous posts, I mentioned that I have noticed rust on the front rotor inner rings, about 1/2 inches. I believe I have discovered the reason for this. Since the hybrid model uses the brakes less frequently, sometimes when I wash my car on my way home from work and then only drive a short distance of about 1 km to my house, the brake pads/rotors do not dry completely, leading to more rust. However, last month, when we had good weather and I did not wash my car as often, I noticed that the rust began to disappear slowly.
dI'd you figure out what was the issue?

I just replaced my brake pads and I hear a clunk sound when shift from park to reverse and I also hear a grinding noise sound when braking slow.
Old 09-12-23, 08:50 AM
Droid13
Racer

Received 491 Likes on 343 Posts

In my experience Toyotas generally have a notable brake groan at very low speeds (0mph to 0.5mph) just at the point of stopped vs movement. I find it more noticeable with newer brakes that still have maximum friction. Static friction is generally greater than kinetic friction which generally means brake pads resist motion more greatly at they release from stop vs when they are in motion. That moment of the brakes transitioning from stop probably sets up a bit of vibration for a few ms. Maybe not as common in other vehicles depending on brake pad materials and such, but my old Sienna I could make it sing loudly just by feathering the brakes keeping it just at the moment of movement vs stopped. My Camry was similar. Can't do that on my NX, but it does have a very short moment of pad vibration as well just as the pads release from the rotor. I personally consider it normal and when it goes away, well to me that means my brakes are starting to wear down and no longer have maximum friction.

Some brake pad material loves to really stick to the rotors especially if its damp. My old RX, you put that thing away wet and sometimes it would take a bit of effort for the pads to let go. I took to driving it up and down the driveway jamming the brakes to dry them out after washing. If I didn't, it could sometimes sound like a driveshaft snapping in half when the brakes release. I heard stories on the RX forum, some people had to get their RX towed because the brakes refused to let go after sitting for a few days when wet. My RX also made noises from pads shifting in their holders.

Could be worse, my father in law has a new Acura RDX with about 25000 miles on it. He's on his 4th complete set of brake pads and rotors. They just can't get them to stop squealing loudly. He's got a new GV70 on order, tired of it. After I got my NX and took them for a ride, "wow, its so quiet" compared with their RDX.

Last edited by Droid13; 09-12-23 at 08:55 AM.
Old 09-24-23, 12:51 PM
Solid
5th Gear

Originally Posted by Solid
i have a 2017 lexus nx200t that there is a clunk noise when the suv has been sit all night once i get it out from the garage i can hear the clunk noise from park to reverse. i have always used the EPB so i know is not that.

could this be a transmission or motor mount?

also once the car has been driving for a while the noise is not there anymore.
I have the same issue with my Nx200t 2017 do you know what seems to be the issue yet?
Old 04-30-24, 06:36 PM
Pandaroo
Driver

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts

Same noise on my nx 350h. It happens only when lightly releasing the brakes. Clunk, thunk, rubbery squeaks.

Showed the dealership mechanic and was told it is normal but they will try to improve it no promises.

Sounded like a run around...