GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Dash outgassing

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-17, 09:35 PM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Dash outgassing

Is anyone else seeing a constant film on the inside of their windshield, probably caused by outgassing from the dashboard ? I clean mine every weekend & it's back before the week is over. It has been very hot in So CA for most of the year.
Old 09-27-17, 06:41 AM
er34
Instructor

Received 255 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by Byprodrive
Is anyone else seeing a constant film on the inside of their windshield, probably caused by outgassing from the dashboard ? I clean mine every weekend & it's back before the week is over. It has been very hot in So CA for most of the year.
Are you using some sort of product to clean your dash or seats?
Old 09-27-17, 06:51 AM
microsup
Pit Crew

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

I wonder what product do you use to clean your windshield? When I bought mine 3 weeks ago (2015 f-sport AWD) it was very clean inside out, but one morning I noticed that front and back window covered with film. I cleaned it with InvisibleGlass (Stoner) and no more hazy windows. Could be that your cleaning chemicals produce bad effect when there is too hot.
Old 09-27-17, 07:52 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,605 Likes on 1,022 Posts

I get it on mine too. The haze takes about a month to come back, worse in warm weather.
Old 09-27-17, 08:13 AM
JellyBean
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
Default It's hot in Texas too

It's hot in Texas too and I clean the inside of my windshield maybe twice a year and that's it. Try leaving your windows slightly open for a week and see if it helps.
Old 09-27-17, 01:21 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,009 Likes on 1,428 Posts

Originally Posted by JellyBean
It's hot in Texas too and I clean the inside of my windshield maybe twice a year and that's it. Try leaving your windows slightly open for a week and see if it helps.
I'm in Dallas (with multiple 100° days during the summer months) and I clean the inside windshield of my vehicles only once or twice a year also. It stays absolutely perfect with no haze or streaks whatsoever. I use Invisible Glass (without the rain repellent). Wonderful product!

I make sure that no dampness remains on the glass to evaporate by polishing the glass completely dry with a dry micro-towel. I have found that anytime a cleaning chemical (or even distilled water) is left on the glass to evaporate it will leave a haze, streak or stain. The key is to polish the glass completely dry of any dampness with a dry micro-towel...

Last edited by bclexus; 09-27-17 at 03:30 PM.
Old 09-27-17, 01:51 PM
drgrant
Instructor

Received 119 Likes on 99 Posts

I'll pile on here with Invisible glass. I swear by the stuff. It leaves far less haze/BS than stuff like windex, etc. While its not as "aggressive" as some cleaners, it is much easier to deal with in terms of getting a haze-free finish.

-Mike
Old 09-27-17, 03:26 PM
dwoodsz79
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you smoke in your car?
When I smoke and allow others to I notice the inside of the windows can get nasty fast
Old 09-27-17, 03:40 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,009 Likes on 1,428 Posts

Originally Posted by drgrant
I'll pile on here with Invisible glass. I swear by the stuff. It leaves far less haze/BS than stuff like windex, etc. While its not as "aggressive" as some cleaners, it is much easier to deal with in terms of getting a haze-free finish.

-Mike
In most cases no chemical is really needed to [actually] clean the glass...unless of course there is some kind of oil, grease, food, crud or yuk that just plain old water doesn't easily take care of. The problem that most people face is using a glass cleaner that leaves a yukky damp film behind on the glass (because they don't polish the glass dry), which is often not seen until a few days after the glass cleaning when the hazy film shows up. Plain water usually is all that is really needed when cleaning glass.
Old 09-27-17, 06:16 PM
spoogenet
Lead Lap

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

I typically just use water, and as bclexus noted it's always important to buff it completely dry. Clean glass is quite smooth and things don't adhere to it very well. The slight film from insufficient cleaning will increase surface area and encourage things to stick around, leading to worse haze.

Things that will encourage a hazy film on glass, in no particular order:
  • smoking or vaping
  • driving with windows open
  • hot climate
  • high humidity, including not using the A/C much
  • outgassing from car care products including cleaners, protectors, etc.
  • really smelly farts
Old 09-28-17, 09:40 AM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by er34
Are you using some sort of product to clean your dash or seats?
I have but the problem started before
Old 09-28-17, 09:44 AM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by microsup
I wonder what product do you use to clean your windshield? When I bought mine 3 weeks ago (2015 f-sport AWD) it was very clean inside out, but one morning I noticed that front and back window covered with film. I cleaned it with InvisibleGlass (Stoner) and no more hazy windows. Could be that your cleaning chemicals produce bad effect when there is too hot.
I usually use InvisableGlass but have used something different the last two times
Old 09-28-17, 09:47 AM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by dwoodsz79
Do you smoke in your car?
When I smoke and allow others to I notice the inside of the windows can get nasty fast
The only smoke around my car's is the tires!