Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

GS480 Stick Shift For Cheap Asses!

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-17, 06:51 PM
CRASHMONK
Pole Position

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by badblackgs
Im pretty confident the intake on the left if from the engine designation L92. which is a 6.2 liter truck engine that has rectangular intake ports. the one on the right is the 4.8 and 5.3 intake with the cathedral intake ports. still a very good flowing intake though.
I'll admit after looking up the l92 intake, they do look similar. Mine is in fact off of a 5.3 and has cathedral ports.

Themain issue is I want a larger throttle body than the gen 3. My harness is DBW and I actually want to stay dbw. The gen4 TB requires an expensive Dr. X adapter to work with the gen 3 pcm.

I do not intend on buying said harness. I may just have to adapt the "small" throttle...
Old 09-24-17, 07:58 PM
badblackgs
Lead Lap

Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts

you say "adapt" like its new to you. that whole damn car you have is the definition of adapt. lol lol lol. get er' done. and report back.
Old 09-25-17, 10:32 AM
bloodMoney
Rookie

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

you say "adapt" like its new to you. that whole damn car you have is the definition of adapt. lol lol lol. get er' done. and report back.
QFT!

It would be more of a pain in the ***, not to mention $$$ to get the emissions equipment to all work... IMO not worth it for a chassis with 270K miles.

I'll just keep living vicariously through you guys...
Old 09-25-17, 07:42 PM
badblackgs
Lead Lap

just pull the trigger on an ebay turbo kit. their retardedly cheap now and your throttle body would not matter anymore on a blow thru setup. you'd put down 450 to the wheels easily on that little flat topped 4.8 I know bc hot rod magazine did it to theirs from a junkyard and made countless dyno pulls before the rocker arm fell off. reattached and made more pulls. hell ya
Old 09-25-17, 08:11 PM
CRASHMONK
Pole Position

just pull the trigger on an ebay turbo kit. their retardedly cheap now and your throttle body would not matter anymore on a blow thru setup. you'd put down 450 to the wheels easily on that little flat topped 4.8 I know bc hot rod magazine did it to theirs from a junkyard and made countless dyno pulls before the rocker arm fell off. reattached and made more pulls. hell ya

Winter project. I have a couple more truck manifolds to use. It's like 200 bucks for a new ebay GT45. Front mount intercooler, biggest injectors I can afford, return fuel system, wastegate, bov...

1000 dollars could do it I think. I read about a guy with a turbo 6.0 that gave daily beatings for years to an AR5. No issues. I've got enough clutch for 500ish hp. I think from there the drive shaft might be the next fuse down the line.

Of course, talk is cheap. I can swap engines all day long but have no experience boosting them...

Speaking of which, a buddy brought this beasty over for another LS swap. Not into jeeps but should be fun(for him).

Old 09-26-17, 05:02 PM
CRASHMONK
Pole Position

Trying to adapt the new throttle body via re-wiring. I have to at least fail this before I move forward to bolting the little TB on the new manifold. There's an easy way, the Dr. X harness, that will plug in and make this work for $250. I refuse to pay that.

Taking some resistance values from the TPS sensors on each TB module, I found that the 2004 and 2010 TB's are very different.

2004 TB
TPS 1 Blade open5650
Tps 1 Blade closed 630
Tps 2 Blade open 5650
Tps 2 Blade closed 630

2010 TB
1 blade open 1660
1 blade closed 3130
2 blade open 2240
2 blade closed 817

Values are measured in ohms. By my measurements you see these two have TPsensors that have very different ranges.

I'm no Dr. X...

2004 TB
2010 TB
Old 09-26-17, 07:13 PM
badblackgs
Lead Lap

it appears simple. just put both five volt references on the same wire and do the same with the low reference. than just match the pins.
Old 09-26-17, 07:17 PM
badblackgs
Lead Lap

I understand that your getting different resistance values with both throttle bodies as you sweep the angles. But the computer isn't looking at ohms for reference. its voltage sent thru the beginning of the throttle position sensor and what it reads as it makes its way across. not the throttle control motor might be different, but based on what they look like on summit racing, its just wire in the harness. no resistors or diodes. so get crackin'
Old 09-26-17, 08:06 PM
CRASHMONK
Pole Position

Well I did hook up the wiring actually. I went wire to wire and left one pair of 5v and a low reference out. Turn the key on, throttle cycles once and never reacts to any input. Swapped to the other 5v and low ref and same thing.

I vaguely understand the pcm is looking for varying voltage, but measuring resistance should still give me an idea of what needs to happen. Altering these values with resistors isn't gonna cut it. I'm not sure how I'd go about recreating the 2010 resistance values. One goes from lower to higher and the other higher to lower, wtf??
Old 09-27-17, 05:55 PM
badblackgs
Lead Lap

they go lower to higher and vice versa for safety. if at any point in time the voltages don't match five volts with both added together the car goes into default. its because of the drive by wire. it only takes a little bit of high resistance in the circuit or a breaking wire to throw the car into limp mode so that it doesn't just go wide open throttle like the prius' did.
Old 09-27-17, 06:00 PM
badblackgs
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by CRASHMONK
Well I did hook up the wiring actually. I went wire to wire and left one pair of 5v and a low reference out. Turn the key on, throttle cycles once and never reacts to any input. Swapped to the other 5v and low ref and same thing.

I vaguely understand the pcm is looking for varying voltage, but measuring resistance should still give me an idea of what needs to happen. Altering these values with resistors isn't gonna cut it. I'm not sure how I'd go about recreating the 2010 resistance values. One goes from lower to higher and the other higher to lower, wtf??
if im reading what you wrote correctly, im seeing that you said you tried one five volts wire and one low reference wire while leaving the other two out and it failed. than you swapped over to the other five volt and low reference and it failed. did you put both five volt supply wires together on the same pin to the throttle body and put both low reference wires together on the other pin? again, don't be upset if i just read it wrong. trying to cover all bases.
Old 09-27-17, 07:18 PM
CRASHMONK
Pole Position

if im reading what you wrote correctly, im seeing that you said you tried one five volts wire and one low reference wire while leaving the other two out and it failed. than you swapped over to the other five volt and low reference and it failed. did you put both five volt supply wires together on the same pin to the throttle body and put both low reference wires together on the other pin? again, don't be upset if i just read it wrong. trying to cover all bases.
No you read that right, I did not try pairing them together. From continuity checks, the new 6 pin style just uses one 5v/low for both tps circuits. I guess I was more focused on the tps circuits. I'll try pairing the references and 5v together just for kicks.

I was guessing the TAC module saw voltage readings way outta whack and faulted out. I ordered a cheap dual gang 10k potentiometer on ebay today. Thinking maybe I can finaggle my own tps sensor into the new throttle...

I have no idea how the Dr x module works. Little circuit board that reads voltages from throttle, then spits out the correct voltages the tac wants to see?
Old 09-28-17, 03:58 AM
CRASHMONK
Pole Position

Ok I've had some crazy ideas before but it just dawned on me... Why do I have to use both values from both tpsensors? If both values are the same in my old throttle, why can't I just use the one tps that had the 817-2240 range and hook both position sensors to it? The low end is very close and I might be able to modify just the high end.

I'm probably wrong but that sounds like it might work
Old 09-28-17, 02:40 PM
CRASHMONK
Pole Position

Well I tried tying the 5v and low ref together and first the throttle blade would shutter back and forth super fast for about 30 seconds and quit. Then it went back to just cycling once and still doing nothing. Also tried the one tps plugged into both tps pins, also no dice.

Boo hoo for me!
Old 09-28-17, 07:15 PM
badblackgs
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by CRASHMONK
Well I tried tying the 5v and low ref together and first the throttle blade would shutter back and forth super fast for about 30 seconds and quit. Then it went back to just cycling once and still doing nothing. Also tried the one tps plugged into both tps pins, also no dice.

Boo hoo for me!
can you insert a link about this dr x thingamajig your talking about?

Quick Reply: GS480 Stick Shift For Cheap Asses!