Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Tesla extends the range of cars to help owners escape Irma

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-17, 07:21 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,683 Likes on 1,925 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Did you mean Isabel in 2003? Irene happened in 2011.

I rode out Isabel in my town house.....we got winds strong enough to do some damage to the trees on the development, but, fortunately, no significant damage to the townhouses or my car (I put my car in a local covered parking garage). But power was out, off and on (not continuously) for almost four days.
Whichever "I" hurricane hit here in 2003 lol. It was definitely 2003 because I had the ES300 and it was new.

If I lived where I live now I would have stayed, it was being in that heavily treed area that made us want to leave.
Old 09-13-17, 07:26 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by AJLex19
Definitely a nice gesture by Tesla as anything that could keep folks moving to evacuate and be safe was helpful. If we could we have increased the range of our ICE vehicles with the flip of a switch, i'm sure a lot of folks would have been happy to receive such a free benefit in this (or any) time of need.

Points raised about the ethics of modifying something a consumer has already purchased via a centralized method goes into the conversation about consumer rights and consumer protection. Although, this generation has sort of silently said " I'll take a free update if you give it away." We have become accustom to getting firmware updates, software updates, over the air updates etc. on lots of modern day tech. Heck, in 2003 when I had an intel pocket jukebox MP3 player, I was able to update it by syncing it via USB to my PC and connecting to Intel's website...for free, without thinking about information sharing, privacy issues, etc.

I think its nice that in times of need, a big company or two will stop for a second and at least think about the humane thing to do instead of allowing $$$ to always run their entire show.
It definitely is a good PR and marketing move by Tesla. This is the way to do business and buy goodwill with existing customers: Give away something (small and inexpensive to do) that would normally cost a customer money.
Old 09-13-17, 07:41 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Did you mean Isabel in 2003? Irene happened in 2011.

I rode out Isabel in my town house.....we got winds strong enough to do some damage to the trees on the development, but, fortunately, no significant damage to the townhouses or my car (I put my car in a local covered parking garage). But power was out, off and on (not continuously) for almost four days.
I knew this picture was on our cloud drive. This was our next door neighbors house in Bethesda when we got back from escaping that hurricane:

Power was out for over a week (very common there). No regrets about leaving.
Old 09-13-17, 07:49 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 86 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS

Power was out for over a week (very common there). No regrets about leaving.
Yeah....in those days, PEPCO was about as reliable as a used Fiat LOL. They've made a lot of improvements since then....but still trail the electric-utilities here in VA for typical reliability. Storms, of course, make the situation worse.
Old 09-14-17, 05:55 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah....in those days, PEPCO was about as reliable as a used Fiat LOL. They've made a lot of improvements since then....but still trail the electric-utilities here in VA for typical reliability. Storms, of course, make the situation worse.
Especially in there with all the trees. We lost power all the time lol