Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Tesla extends the range of cars to help owners escape Irma

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-17, 02:01 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Tesla extends the range of cars to help owners escape Irma

Nice gesture by Tesla even if just temporary

Hurricane Irma is quickly bearing down on Florida. People in parts of the peninsula have been issued a mandatory evacuation order. According to Electrek, Tesla has temporarily extended the range of some of its cars to help owners evacuate. The extra capacity is good for an extra 30 or 40 miles of range, not an insubstantial amount even in the best weather conditions. Owners of either a Models S or Model X 60 or 60D may see a temporary bump in capacity.

For a time, owners could purchase a Tesla with a 75 kWh battery that was artificially limited to 60 kWh. These models were less expensive, though owners could spend between $4,500 and $9,000 to lift the restrictions, depending on the model. Tesla simply sent an over the air update that lifted the restriction for owners who had not already done so. The info came to light after an owner contacted Electrek when he saw his car had more range and the 75 badge in the software. Tesla later confirmed the extension.

Most of Florida's Supercharger network is still active, so for now most owners will still be able to make it out of the evacuation zone, even without the extension. Still, every little bit helps. Range anxiety is the last thing these owners need.
Source
Old 09-10-17, 03:37 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

I agree it is a good move on Tesla's part......but I did not know that Tesla battery-capacity could be adjusted from the factory like that. I thought it was built into the car's computerized charging system, which would automatically cut off charging (like with a cell-phone) whenever the battery reaches 100% capacity, to prevent overcharging and fires.
Old 09-10-17, 05:30 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

they removed the limiter that prevents the battery from going below a certain % charge which would otherwise degrade the battery's longevity
Old 09-10-17, 07:02 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

For a time, owners could purchase a Tesla with a 75 kWh battery that was artificially limited to 60 kWh. These models were less expensive, though owners could spend between $4,500 and $9,000 to lift the restrictions, depending on the model. Tesla simply sent an over the air update that lifted the restriction for owners who had not already done so. The info came to light after an owner contacted Electrek when he saw his car had more range and the 75 badge in the software. Tesla later confirmed the extension.
Anybody know the difference in price between the 60 kWh battery and 75 kWh battery models? It's just that an option price of $4500 to $9000 to remove that artificial (software) restriction seems rather high!
Old 09-10-17, 07:39 PM
ttsport15
Lead Lap

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Dam I wonder if the weather people are goin to pick up the tab....
Old 09-11-17, 03:17 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 210 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu
Anybody know the difference in price between the 60 kWh battery and 75 kWh battery models? It's just that an option price of $4500 to $9000 to remove that artificial (software) restriction seems rather high!
As far as I know, they didn't actually produce the 60kWh battery. Pre-sales were so low for that model that they decided to just concentrate on the 75 and 90 kWh batteries. So the 60 was actually a 75 with software-limited capacity/range, that's why it had the option to upgrade post-sale, and how Tesla is accomplishing this goodwill gesture. The 60 was eventually discontinued entirely.
Old 09-11-17, 08:17 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by geko29
As far as I know, they didn't actually produce the 60kWh battery. Pre-sales were so low for that model that they decided to just concentrate on the 75 and 90 kWh batteries. So the 60 was actually a 75 with software-limited capacity/range, that's why it had the option to upgrade post-sale, and how Tesla is accomplishing this goodwill gesture. The 60 was eventually discontinued entirely.
I just wanted to compare the original retail prices of the 60 kWh and 75 kWh models (realizing that the 60 kWh model was artificially limited to 60 kWh), so that I could determine if the $4500 to $9000 option price to lift the restriction is or is not a good price.

To me, without knowing the original retail prices, $4500 to $9000 is an outrageous price merely to disable the artificial battery capacity limitation.
Old 09-11-17, 09:12 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 210 Likes on 160 Posts

According to a couple of threads on Teslamotorsclub, it was an $8500 option at time of order:

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/thre...rrectly.72662/
https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/thre...pricing.74218/
Old 09-11-17, 11:14 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

People think you are a nice corporation with this gesture. Anyone verify it actually happened?

Wonder if this would be determined on GPS verifying where the vehicle is located? Example of otherwise not working properly would be BMW filing with NHTSA that high humidity areas are priority I for airbag fixes, and then as of 2 wks ago having people in Tampa and Miami stating they've been waiting since 2/16, while folks in NJ got fixed 8/16. Point being how does one dole out resources the way they say they are going to....the fact that they haven't done what they said imho illustrates there is no mechanism to make them do so (they are going to settle for $131 mil, so cheap)
Old 09-11-17, 12:45 PM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 336 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by ttsport15
Not sure what you mean by this post but I'm interpreting it that you think the meteorologists over-hyped the storm. As a FL resident, I can tell you this was not the case. When you see Miami and Jacksonville flooding and realize they were somewhere between 100-200 miles east of the center of the storm it should tell you something. The storm eye moved about 25 miles east once it made landfall and that literally saved Naples to Tampa and much of the gulf coast since they stayed on the western side of the storm. I have tons of friends and family all across the state and none of us escaped this without some damage; some way more severe than others. Unless you were in FL during the storm, I wouldn't comment on what you think it was like.

Back on topic, I actually wondered if/how people in Teslas could safely evacuate the state. The interstates were clogged with people who had run out of gas (stopped on the highway, blocking traffic for miles) and also clogged with people waiting to exit off of an interstate to get gas. Without knowing exactly where power has been restored through key areas of the various interstates makes you question how a Tesla owner could return home. Fuel efficient gasoline cars with larger tank capacity could go probably go farther than a Tesla. Nonetheless, I take this as a great gesture by the company and a very cool thing to "unlock" remotely.
Old 09-11-17, 07:13 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

Came through Irma okay here in Miami, but had plenty of people that off and wound up with gas problems going up. Some had to turn back because they ran into a wall on the major arteries out of Miami. My advice would have been for many people to have taken back roads.
Old 09-11-17, 09:32 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by ttsport15
I'm with you here. I'd say it was over-hyped by about 20 to 30% At least from what the news is showing, it doesn't look like total destruction as predicted. Texas looks worse with Harvey. Only the pathetic news media who put themselves out there when they didn't have to, made their reports for ratings and hype.
Old 09-12-17, 05:40 AM
ttsport15
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
I'm with you here. I'd say it was over-hyped by about 20 to 30% At least from what the news is showing, it doesn't look like total destruction as predicted. Texas looks worse with Harvey. Only the pathetic news media who put themselves out there when they didn't have to, made their reports for ratings and hype.
Soon it will be our turn here on the NE coast to have to deal with the morons predicting crippling snow storms etc...I remember last year while at work listening to a woman from Russia being terrified of this Vortex storm we were suppose to get lol I'm thinking here's someone that came from a country that's covered in ice and snow most of the year and is staring out a window with the sun shining worried about some winter vortex that never came...then when it started to snow the Mayor practically shut down the city and the trains and subways were like Armageddon....I think we got 3" of snow and up in buffalo ny they got 4 ft and it was business as usual...
Old 09-12-17, 12:04 PM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 336 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Over hyped by 20-30%? What a ridiculous statement. It's pretty amazing that you, from across the country, have accurately assessed the storm damage across an entire state and region and can now quantify how much more devastation should have occurred. So you'd look for 20-30% more deaths, 20-30% more homes without power, more lives disrupted, more federal funding needed, more islands to literally be wiped off the map. Must be easy to say when you're across the country. Maybe you should read the stats of all of the records this storm broke. Wonder how you'd feel after the next huge CA earthquake to have someone on the east coast telling you it is over hyped by 20-30%. Ridiculous.
Old 09-12-17, 12:37 PM
ttsport15
Lead Lap

What islands have been wiped off the map? Even in your life time... Even those 3rd world islands that we vacation on are still intact....Sure you get the water you get the wind but that's been going on since time began..Hell look at the Big Isl of Hawaii the volcano erupts sends lava flowing right into towns and neighborhoods wiping out communities do the residents pack up and leave to another state?

Quick Reply: Tesla extends the range of cars to help owners escape Irma