Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Ordered my new car (2018 Buick Lacrosse)

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-17, 01:36 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 163 Likes on 96 Posts

Very nice Michael! That is solid and safe choice, which I believe will serve you well and not give any stress or headaches. Congrats and enjoy!
So now I'm curious how much they were willing to bargain on the car since it was special ordered and a ways off, arriving when the all-new model year begins...
Old 04-21-17, 06:36 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 85 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Very nice Michael! That is solid and safe choice, which I believe will serve you well and not give any stress or headaches. Congrats and enjoy!
Thanks. perhaps not quite as solid a choice as the ES350 would have been for reliability, but I felt more at home in the Lacrosse, and IMO it was more comfortable and pleasant to drive....except for the E-shifter (which, to some extent, I'm getting accustomed to)

So now I'm curious how much they were willing to bargain on the car since it was special ordered and a ways off, arriving when the all-new model year begins...
Right up front, not as much as I would have liked. But the final figure, on delivery will depend on whatever factory rebate is in effect when the car is actually delivered.....that's the way GM works on a special-order. The salespeople said it would probably go up as the end of the model-year gets closer, and they are probably right. Of course, a car like mine, without many options (all I ordered with the Preferred model-trim were the rubber all-weather floor mats at $140) doesn't have as much mark-up as one with expensive packages and options. There's usually more mark-up in the options themselves, particularly with dealer-installed accessories, than on the base price. But, a couple of other things worked in my favor. The dealer-processing fee at this dealership (which is not regulated by state law in Virginia like it is in Maryland next door) was a couple of hundred dollars less than at many other local dealerships (that surprised me, since I think it was either the same or less than what it was for my Verano five years ago). And Virginia's sales tax on a new car is a little lower than it is in Maryland. Where I'm going to get hit, of course, is in the Virginia's personal-property tax I'll pay next year, which is based on the annual KBB value of one's car each January 1...fortunately, that car-tax, like real-estate taxes, is deductible on your Federal tax return (Schedule A), so you'll get at least some of it back in refunds.

I decided on a 2017 rather than a 2018 because Buick will introduce an all-new 9-speed transmission next year in the Lacrosse (presumably with the same E-shifter)......... a number of complex or all-new transmissions lately, from different manufacturers (mostly done to try and increase gas mileage) have proven troublesome. Consumer Reports has also cautioned potential buyers about that. Besides, I'm generally satisfied with the 8-speed transmission currently in use this year (more so than with the shifter itself)........the way I drive, I don't see the need for any more gears.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-21-17 at 06:47 AM.
Old 04-21-17, 07:01 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,645 Likes on 1,900 Posts

VA's sales tax on a new vehicle is lower? I don't believe it is, what is it? In any event had you bought in MD you would have paid VA sales tax since you live in VA.
Old 04-21-17, 09:26 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Congrats Mike!

OT - is there a new small Buick sedan in the works?

I saw a couple of camo'd cars that had taped up emblems...Sorry, I didn't get pics for some dumb reason.
Old 04-21-17, 10:57 AM
Wandl
Lexus Test Driver

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

??? I didn't even know you were shopping for a car....

great pick sir, at least this will be a predictable (and very comfortable) car ownership experience for you!
Old 04-21-17, 11:06 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW15LS
VA's sales tax on a new vehicle is lower? I don't believe it is, what is it?
6% in Maryland, 4.15% in Virginia.

http://www.mva.maryland.gov/vehicles...uy-vehicle.htm
  • An excise tax will be charged on the basis of 6% of the vehicle’s book value or 6% of the purchase price on the notarized “Bill of Sale” for vehicles 7 years old or newer. For older vehicles, the tax is calculated on the purchase price. Maryland’s minimum excise tax charged is $38.40, based on a minimum value of $640.

https://www.dmv.virginia.gov/vehicles/#sut.asp

Effective July 1, 2016, unless exempted under Va. Code § 58.1-2402, Virginia levies a 4.15% Motor Vehicle Sales and Use (SUT) Tax based on the vehicle's gross sales price or $75, whichever is greater. An additional $64 fee applies to electric vehicles, excluding mopeds.Jul 1, 2016

In any event had you bought in MD you would have paid VA sales tax since you live in VA.
Yes, that part is correct. It goes by where the car will be registered.
Old 04-21-17, 11:15 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bagwell
Congrats Mike!
Thanks.

OT - is there a new small Buick sedan in the works?
Not for the American market. The 2Gen Verano will be Chinese-market only.....for several years, the Excelle (Chinese Verano) was the best-selling car in that market. Chalk that one up to the brilliant marketers at Buick.....they decided to convert the Verano plant at Orion, MI to Encore production, (supposedly) to keep up with demand for that vehicle.

An all-new, Opel-based, Regal (which is slightly larger than the Verano) will debut this fall in the American market....but only in 5-door hatch and 5-door wagon body styles. Chalk another one up to those brilliant marketers...the Regal sedan will also be dropped this fall.
Old 04-21-17, 11:23 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Wandl
??? I didn't even know you were shopping for a car....
Normally every 5-6 years.

great pick sir, at least this will be a predictable (and very comfortable) car ownership experience for you!
Thanks. After decades of driving everything from econoboxes to sports coupes (Celica) to a winter-capable Outback to even a bright yellow Lexus IS300 semi-sports-sedan, this time, I decided I had waited long enough for a nice, fairly large, comfortable cruiser...I was going to get the most comfy car I've had since my old days at college.
Old 04-21-17, 11:41 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Great.....just got a call from the dealership......too late for a 2017. The factory's not taking any more orders ( hard to believe on a slow-selling sedan). So, since the 2018 will be essentially the same car as the 2017 (color, options, etc...) except for the new transmission, slightly-revised axle-ratio, and maybe a very minor price increase, I authorized the changeover to a 2018. I don't like the idea of the all-new tranny, but that's what you have a warranty for.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-21-17 at 12:02 PM.
Old 04-21-17, 11:55 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,267 Likes on 1,477 Posts

assume there's a price adjustment there going from '17 to '18? besides 9 speed, any other equipment std and package differences?
Old 04-21-17, 12:20 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

^ That sucks they aren't taking orders on 2017's. I know in ye olden days of yearly model changes, the factory shut down for a month or more to "retool" during the summer. Is this still the case??? Because it could push your delivery date to WAY out there(like July or August).

I know dealers can also look around at other dealers stock, see if they have a LaCrosse in the color/trim you want, then have it shipped to your local dealer. I know this happened when my mom bought her 2012 Camry V6 SE. She was really picky about wanting the V6 SE in grey, dealer tried hard to sell her hard on a black V6 SE they had on the lot(they had like 20 4 cylinders and 1 V6 on the lot) Ended up shipping one(or maybe they drove it) from a dealer in Lousville to Nashville.
Old 04-21-17, 12:21 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
assume there's a price adjustment there going from '17 to '18? besides 9 speed, any other equipment std and package differences?
Yeah, they said 1-2%.....no big deal with me. (though it may or may not include a rebate, which could affect it some more). That small an increase is not an issue (it will be a cash sale ether way, so I don't have to apply for any loans). There are 8 major color revisions (4+ / 4-), but the Pepperdust metallic I like is still available. The axle ratio drops to 2.90 from 3.04.......which might (?) affect low-speed response a little, but that also might depend on the new tranny's gearing....besides, I'm not an aggressive driver. OTW, from what they told me....same car, different year. I just hope that they don't screw around and stiffen up the base suspension any, as automakers seem obsessed with doing nowadays....It's a nice comfy car as it is, and I'd like it to stay that way. The 18", 50-profile wheels and tires remain the same.

This model-year change (?) may actually work out better than I thought. I may be a little overly-concerned about this new transmission for 2018. I did some research on it......apparently it's the same 9TXX unit jointly co-developed by GM and Ford, and used in some 2017 Chevy models this year, so it's not like next year's Lacrosse will be the transmission's initial Guinea-Pig test. What I've read seems to consider this as one of the world's most advanced transmissions today. (and my driving-style usually doesn't put a lot of stress on transmissions, either...I don't lead-foot it).

Also, with the new 2018, any TSB's and recall-problems discovered on the 2017's will, of course, most likely have been corrected on the new assembly line. Perhaps this could be a blessing in disguise.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-21-17 at 12:59 PM.
Old 04-21-17, 12:53 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Aron9000
^ That sucks they aren't taking orders on 2017's. I know in ye olden days of yearly model changes, the factory shut down for a month or more to "retool" during the summer. Is this still the case??? Because it could push your delivery date to WAY out there(like July or August).
8-10 weeks now, estimated. And I'm not in any hurry. Heck, competing against several excellent rivals from Genesis, Lexus, and Lincoln, it took me months just to decide on this car in the first place, Steve's predictions aside LOL.

I know dealers can also look around at other dealers stock, see if they have a LaCrosse in the color/trim you want, then have it shipped to your local dealer. I know this happened when my mom bought her 2012 Camry V6 SE. She was really picky about wanting the V6 SE in grey, dealer tried hard to sell her hard on a black V6 SE they had on the lot(they had like 20 4 cylinders and 1 V6 on the lot) Ended up shipping one(or maybe they drove it) from a dealer in Lousville to Nashville.
I checked that out yesterday.....No dice. Besides, it's always nice to have a freshly-built car right off the assembly line, for several reasons. And, of course, vehicles can be damaged in route from one dealer to the other. Having said all that, though, I hope your Mom has enjoyed her car ...a Camry is almost always a relatively safe purchase, and it's usually hard to go wrong with one.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-21-17 at 06:34 PM.
Old 04-21-17, 04:51 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Mike, yep this is what I saw...Regal

really awesome looking!!

Old 04-21-17, 06:35 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bagwell
Mike, yep this is what I saw...Regal

really awesome looking!!

This is likely to be the last of the Opel-based Buicks, especially in the American market. GM is selling off the Opel subsidiary, just like it is cutting ties with Australia's Holden.

Quick Reply: Ordered my new car (2018 Buick Lacrosse)