GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Where do you guys mount your front license plate?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-16, 06:33 AM
Afrosheen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Mine is mounted in the trunk. Texas law says both plates but there was a mix up in Dallas and the front requirement got dropped.
Old 07-28-16, 07:18 AM
Sevn86
Pole Position

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Prinny
Either this or the suction to the windshield hmm. What do you have that attaches it to your bumper like that? I'd like to avoid drilling though. Already have the two holes in the front that I filled up from when I first got the car.
mine use to be attached to my windshield using mini suction cups but then I thought about it. What if I was ever in an serious accident? The last thing I want is a piece of metal become a flying projectile inside the cabin. So I removed my plate completely and had placed in the trunk. Then a few weeks later my cousin who has the same car as me was pulled over in my area and fined. So I bought a tow hook mount and have had it there since.
Old 07-28-16, 07:58 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,028 Likes on 1,443 Posts

Originally Posted by Afrosheen
Mine is mounted in the trunk. Texas law says both plates but there was a mix up in Dallas and the front requirement got dropped.
You may want to look into that again... Here ► Does your car have a front license plate? If not, you could face a $200 fine.

Legislators in 2011 accidentally removed the punishment portion of the license plate law. (Uh-oh.) The law was on the books, but the fine was inadvertently deleted. (Embarrassing.) That made traffic cops much less likely to make stops for a missing front plate. They could write tickets with no fine. (Where’s the fun in that?)

In Texas, a law enforcement officer is allowed to stop any vehicle if a front or rear license plate is missing. It’s the same as an officer making a stop when a driver runs a stop sign, makes an improper lane change or, everybody’s favorite, drives too slow.

Now, with the punishment tacked back on to the law, the fine for a missing front or rear plate is specifically set at no more than $200.

Old 07-28-16, 08:03 AM
teezee1000
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
You may want to look into that again... Here ► Does your car have a front license plate? If not, you could face a $200 fine.

Legislators in 2011 accidentally removed the punishment portion of the license plate law. (Uh-oh.) The law was on the books, but the fine was inadvertently deleted. (Embarrassing.) That made traffic cops much less likely to make stops for a missing front plate. They could write tickets with no fine. (Where’s the fun in that?)

In Texas, a law enforcement officer is allowed to stop any vehicle if a front or rear license plate is missing. It’s the same as an officer making a stop when a driver runs a stop sign, makes an improper lane change or, everybody’s favorite, drives too slow.

Now, with the punishment tacked back on to the law, the fine for a missing front or rear plate is specifically set at no more than $200.
Yeah im in Dallas and haven't attached my front plate since Feb of this year, When I purchased my Lexus, I keep it in the trunk. I haven't been pulled over yet. If I do I might mount it back but from what I observe on the roads there are a lot of cars without the front plate. Cops will be very busy trying to enforce it.

Last edited by teezee1000; 07-28-16 at 08:07 AM.
Old 07-28-16, 08:11 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,028 Likes on 1,443 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus

Originally Posted by teezee1000
Yeah im in Dallas and haven't attached my front plate since Feb of this year, When I purchased my Lexus, I keep it in the trunk. I haven't been pulled over yet if I do I might mount it back but from what I observe on the roads there are a lot of cars without the front plate. Cops will be very busy trying to enforce it.
True. Dallas police seem to overlook this...because they have more important things to do. However, the lack of a front license plate does give them permission to stop you without any other cause. So, the 'likelihood' of being pulled over is far greater if you are not displaying a front license plate.
Old 07-28-16, 08:39 AM
ricam78
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

On the front Black plates though on a black car paired with the weathertech plate holder help make it work a tad better though. Never been a fan of the offset mount options as it seems to throw off the balance. That said I would be running plateless had I not had the holes already in the bumper when I bought the GS.
Attached Thumbnails Where do you guys mount your front license plate?-20160728_095142a.jpg  
Old 07-28-16, 08:46 AM
teezee1000
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ricam78
On the front Black plates though on a black car paired with the weathertech plate holder help make it work a tad better though. Never been a fan of the offset mount options as it seems to throw off the balance. That said I would be running plateless had I not had the holes already in the bumper when I bought the GS.
Your setup looks good and if I had a black car / I would go for the personalized black plates and run them from and back like yours. Unfortunately I have a liquid platinum and the white standard plates don't match...haha
Old 07-28-16, 08:48 AM
Afrosheen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I know all about the Dallas situation. The DA Craig Watkins at the time said Dallas won't prosecute for front plates due to the screw up. Three years of no front plate, never been pulled over. Dallas won't issue these but some surrounding counties might.
Old 07-28-16, 09:19 AM
Ready4aGS
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyone mounted the front plates on a 16 F Sport? Wondering what it looks like.
Old 07-28-16, 09:28 AM
Infamous3
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

OP i guess your situation is different, not having front later is such a non factor to me i don't even think about it anymore. They really are unnecessary on a lot of cars. Cops don't even care about it, I guess in your situation tho again is different because cop cops target it

i wont ever put front plates on the GS, esp the 2016 models with the refresh, a front plate will never look good. Even one of my friends who's always been scared to ride w/ no plates doesn't have a front place on his RC.

and if worst comes to worst, a cop actually notices you don't have a front plate, its a $25 fix it ticket.

rather pay $25 ever year or so then ride with front plates
Old 07-28-16, 09:29 AM
Infamous3
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by RLtoGS350
I also live in LA and haven't had one for almost 20 years. If it's not a fine and just a "fix-it" then I'd just tape one on and get the ticket signed off. Remove the plate and see how long you can go again. The GS along with most sport and luxury cars look like crap with it on the front.
haha +1 to this i do the exact same thing
Old 07-28-16, 01:23 PM
jdigga99
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Afrosheen
Is this true???
Old 07-28-16, 08:03 PM
2Squared
Intermediate

Received 65 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by ricam78
I think having the black mount (OEM) with black plates and frame looks okay. I'm not going to give the police any reason to pull me over.

Old 07-28-16, 09:09 PM
sonyfan
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Don't want to drill the bumper ��

Old 07-28-16, 10:12 PM
Sevn86
Pole Position

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by sonyfan
Don't want to drill the bumper ��
Same here, nor did I want to give the cops a reason to pull me over. Oh and since I paid extra for a personalized plate I want it displayed.

Quick Reply: Where do you guys mount your front license plate?