SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Dead in Larkspur, Colorado

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-22, 08:53 AM
stich
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Dead in Larkspur, Colorado

I drove my 2002 SC 430 from Louisiana to Colorado without incident, but yesterday while on I-35 the engine light and ECV and ECV Off lights came on and I lost 90% power. I did manage to limp to the Conoco and pizza place in Larkspur proper. Since I planned to go to Longmont, I called my girlfriend and she graciously picked me up. Friday evening is a bad time for arranging tows or repairs, so there it will sit until Sunday. I will drop by then and read the codes. Such a disappointment.

Old 05-08-22, 07:22 AM
doobs
Advanced

Received 131 Likes on 101 Posts

Wow. Sorry to hear that.

Good luck with the diagnosis.

Hopefully, it's something simple.

I keep a low power OBD reader plugged into mine. Hopefully I'll never need it.
The following users liked this post:
stich (05-08-22)
Old 05-08-22, 08:02 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 411 Likes on 360 Posts

Sorry to see that stich. Your experience is fairly unusual. I've seen multiple stories of folks buying their SC430 and driving it home, halfway across the country without an issue. I hope that you're able to resolve it and drive it on home.
Old 05-08-22, 08:44 AM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Received 475 Likes on 395 Posts

It sounds like your car is in "Fail Safe Mode" aka "Limp Mode"

You can read more about it here in an LS430 post
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...l#post10108811

There is a very good chance you can clear the codes and get the car working again. If it was a failing sensor, MAYBE you can get it back online by doing that. If it is a failed sensor, then you are stuck.

Of course, once you read the codes you can fix the problem and head back home worry free
stich (05-08-22)
Old 05-08-22, 12:16 PM
stich
Driver

Good advice there on keeping a code reader on the car at all times. I now have mine in the glove box and the one I got yesterday will live in my girlfriend's Honda Element.

So the code was P1128, Throttle Control Motor Lock Malfunction

I read another thread here about how this code can be cleared by Ye Olde Battery Disconnect trick, which I did successfully just now and drove the car home. The VSC and VSC OFF lights again came on, then off. Since the VSC can control the throttle on its own, I assume this 1128 code can trigger a malfunction light in that system. But I read another thread about these lights coming on and off being a common problem on their own. So I'll be reading threads of the forum the rest of the day today I think. If you remember any other links, post them here. This forum has already saved me a ton of headache, time, and money! I'll probably just change out the throttle control motor and take a full look at the wiring harness. The connectors were clean and good.

On a side note, my girlfriend noticed some scratches on the black plastic of some of the engine components. It looks to me like they had been scraped over the highway, but she recognized it as rodent teeth damage. That may be the ultimate culprit, although so far I have not found any chewed up wires. They just liked this black plastic! It just gets better and better, ha ha ha.

Thanks again everyone.
JTho (05-13-22)
Old 05-08-22, 12:18 PM
stich
Driver

Originally Posted by Harold57
Sorry to see that stich. Your experience is fairly unusual. I've seen multiple stories of folks buying their SC430 and driving it home, halfway across the country without an issue. I hope that you're able to resolve it and drive it on home.
Well, this one did drive across Texas and Louisiana first, so not all that bad.
Harold57 (05-08-22)
Old 05-08-22, 12:24 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 411 Likes on 360 Posts

It got you so close...
Old 05-08-22, 01:07 PM
stich
Driver

Originally Posted by Harold57
It got you so close...
It got me all the way home to CO Springs on that first trip. It did two round trips to Denver for work last week and then pooped out driving to Longmont.
Harold57 (05-08-22)
Old 05-08-22, 02:40 PM
Studog
Driver

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

What kind of background must one have to be able to identify rodent teeth marks i wonder!

I wouldnt like to have left my in that spot. Well done on your escape.

Once i had issues with codes. I thought like you did and started replacing parts ( costly). I had the vehicle towed to a bunch of "eggspurts" also costly. That didnt solve the issues so (months later) took out the ecu and had the capacitors and circuit board redone. $180 notes with a 3 year guarantee. The vehicle ( Toyo hilux surf 3.0TD) never had another issue.

The point is that those issues arose after i had owned the car for about 20 years. I think that a lot of the code issues people are experiencing could be connected with the ECU. Its also the cheapest repair option.
stich (05-08-22)
Old 05-08-22, 04:08 PM
stich
Driver

Originally Posted by Studog
What kind of background must one have to be able to identify rodent teeth marks i wonder!
Their car had been attacked by rodents. It's also an issue at trailheads here in Colorado where the culprit is often porcupines and marmots.

Originally Posted by Studog

Once i had issues with codes. I thought like you did and started replacing parts ( costly). I had the vehicle towed to a bunch of "eggspurts" also costly. That didnt solve the issues so (months later) took out the ecu and had the capacitors and circuit board redone. $180 notes with a 3 year guarantee. The vehicle ( Toyo hilux surf 3.0TD) never had another issue.

The point is that those issues arose after i had owned the car for about 20 years. I think that a lot of the code issues people are experiencing could be connected with the ECU. Its also the cheapest repair option.
Where did you have this ECU testing and service done? I'm going to hold off on throwing parts at this car, too.
Old 05-08-22, 04:55 PM
stich
Driver

I took a really good look at the engine just now and realized this car is a restoration project and not an immediate daily driver.
Twenty years of age has oxidized the bare aluminum in that humid, Louisiana climate. There are several hard vacuum hoses just ready to crack and break. Many surfaces on nuts and bolts are rusted. I opened the relay/fuse box and saw dust and oxidation on metal surfaces in there. So no wonder it is having some electrical issues. It was only garage kept for part of its life, and then spent many years under pine trees. I'm still cleaning out pine needles from the exhaust manifolds.

I restored a 1998 Triumph Daytona motorcycle that sat out under trees for three or more years recently. I replaced all vacuum lines and one fan relay, tires, and a seat. This isn't as bad, as it was recently driven and has new tires.

One thing I find funny about this car is the plastic engine cover. I had to go buy a cheap socket set to get that thing off today, as none of my random tools would loosen the bolts. I see no use for this cover other than obscuring the chaos of the engine compartment for dainty owners. I plan to leave it off so I can always see what's going on when I open the hood.
Old 05-08-22, 06:25 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 876 Likes on 701 Posts

Originally Posted by stich
I took a really good look at the engine just now and realized this car is a restoration project and not an immediate daily driver.
Twenty years of age has oxidized the bare aluminum in that humid, Louisiana climate. There are several hard vacuum hoses just ready to crack and break. Many surfaces on nuts and bolts are rusted. I opened the relay/fuse box and saw dust and oxidation on metal surfaces in there. So no wonder it is having some electrical issues. It was only garage kept for part of its life, and then spent many years under pine trees. I'm still cleaning out pine needles from the exhaust manifolds.

I restored a 1998 Triumph Daytona motorcycle that sat out under trees for three or more years recently. I replaced all vacuum lines and one fan relay, tires, and a seat. This isn't as bad, as it was recently driven and has new tires.

One thing I find funny about this car is the plastic engine cover. I had to go buy a cheap socket set to get that thing off today, as none of my random tools would loosen the bolts. I see no use for this cover other than obscuring the chaos of the engine compartment for dainty owners. I plan to leave it off so I can always see what's going on when I open the hood.
hang in there :-)
broken vacuum lines are very common and should all be replaced on an SC430 who lived in the south.
the cover bolts are 10mm and should normally come off with ease…
Old 05-08-22, 06:47 PM
stich
Driver

The cover bolts came off fine with a socket.

So after driving home from Larkspur, a distance of about 40 miles, the engine light came on again and engine went to idle. Code P1128 again. I'm wary of driving this around town, so might just take the motorcycle to work tomorrow.
Old 05-09-22, 03:57 AM
jrjmac1
Rookie

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

The top engine is just a cover, really just has a cosmetic function.
stich (05-09-22)
Old 05-09-22, 12:49 PM
stich
Driver

So I took the motorcycle to work today and then dropped by my mechanic. He can't look at the car until next Tuesday the 17, so I went to the Lexus dealership just down the road from my apartment. I checked what a new throttle body would cost, as you can't get the motor by itself new. Probably around $1200. So on the off chance it doesn't need that, I just asked if I could get the car in before next Monday's appointment that I already made. Luckily, the service guy worked it in and gave me a loaner SUV. This alone saves me a huge amount of hassle and I really appreciated it. I just don't have the chops to roll the dice on buying that throttle body and installing it myself. Hopefully it's not necessary to replace that and I get get away with a few hundred dollars in repair costs. Dealer service guy is super nice, too. Apologized for the dirty loaner car. Ha ha ha. Did you see the tree sap on my car?

Quick Reply: Dead in Larkspur, Colorado