SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Today's Lesson: Follow Your Usual Safety Procedure (even if it always checks out OK)

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-22, 05:59 PM
Seattle SCone
Advanced

Received 293 Likes on 175 Posts
Default Today's Lesson: Follow Your Usual Safety Procedure (even if it always checks out OK)

Every winter I dutifully bolt on my winter wheels. It is essential because our SC430's are completely wretched with summer tires if there is any hint of frost or ice. With my winter wheels, the car stays pointed the direction I want. I use 225/55 R16 tires on a separate set of wheels for winter. It is easier for me to mount than tires.

Yesterday I started hearing a scraping noise as the care moved. It was obviously in sync with wheel rotation and I though perhaps a brake piston was stuck and causing a rub. Inspection showed no obvious markings on the brake disc. Also, the very tight clearance wheel balancing weights had zero witness marks. Lifted the car and checked each wheel for free rotation. Nothing rubbed. Nothing looked like there had been any rubbing. Bearing? No it was just the wrong pitch noise and too narrow a portion of the wheel rotation that made noise.

What was it? Two loose lug nuts.

My procedure was to always recheck torque one week after mounting the wheels. This time I didn't. I was too lazy and/or forgot to do so. After all, they had NEVER been found loose upon recheck in 20 years. Also, nobody rechecks torque after visiting a tire store either.

Lesson learned. Follow your usual safety protocol even if it has never uncovered an unsafe condition.
The following 4 users liked this post by Seattle SCone:
Bgw70 (02-11-22), Cinc04 (02-11-22), JDaveSC430 (02-11-22), WtSpyder (02-11-22)
Old 02-11-22, 05:59 AM
iolmaster
Racer

Received 186 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by Seattle SCone
Every winter I dutifully bolt on my winter wheels. It is essential because our SC430's are completely wretched with summer tires if there is any hint of frost or ice. With my winter wheels, the car stays pointed the direction I want. I use 225/55 R16 tires on a separate set of wheels for winter. It is easier for me to mount than tires.

Yesterday I started hearing a scraping noise as the care moved. It was obviously in sync with wheel rotation and I though perhaps a brake piston was stuck and causing a rub. Inspection showed no obvious markings on the brake disc. Also, the very tight clearance wheel balancing weights had zero witness marks. Lifted the car and checked each wheel for free rotation. Nothing rubbed. Nothing looked like there had been any rubbing. Bearing? No it was just the wrong pitch noise and too narrow a portion of the wheel rotation that made noise.

What was it? Two loose lug nuts.

My procedure was to always recheck torque one week after mounting the wheels. This time I didn't. I was too lazy and/or forgot to do so. After all, they had NEVER been found loose upon recheck in 20 years. Also, nobody rechecks torque after visiting a tire store either.

Lesson learned. Follow your usual safety protocol even if it has never uncovered an unsafe condition.
Yea, the reason nobody checks after getting back from the tire store is. They are on so damn tight. I just got tires on my RX350 Wednesday and I always check the torque. I had to use a breaker bar to loosen the lug nuts to retorque. They would not have loosened. I guarantee it.
The following users liked this post:
WIL44 (02-11-22)