Everything You Need to know about a Car Battery

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-21, 11:36 AM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Received 463 Likes on 388 Posts
Default Everything You Need to know about a Car Battery

It is my 5 Year Anniversary on ClubLexus. I joined May 2016

In those 5 years, I have seen a lot of discussion about Batteries, Trickle Chargers, Parasitic Draws, Bad Alternators and the like.

I am of the belief that if you have an AGM battery and do not set the alarm in your car (You manually lock the car with the interior door locks), plus shut off your radio and Automatic Headlights, your car can sit for a month and still start up. I know it works for my SC, because I just got in yesterday, after a month of sitting, and it started up with no problem.

Anyways, here is a video from my favorite YouTube car mechanic covering everything you need to know about your battery. I think you will find it helpful:
Old 05-12-21, 06:37 AM
faruk
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Daryl ...actually after a year of troubleshooting this battery enigma on my 2005 ; your recomendation is spot on . I think I may have read your recomendations in the past and tried doing what you suggested . It works ! thanks
The following users liked this post:
DshngDaryl (05-12-21)
Old 05-14-21, 10:30 AM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Received 545 Likes on 414 Posts

Originally Posted by DshngDaryl

I am of the belief that if you have an AGM battery and do not set the alarm in your car (You manually lock the car with the interior door locks), plus shut off your radio and Automatic Headlights, your car can sit for a month and still start up. I know it works for my SC, because I just got in yesterday, after a month of sitting, and it started up with no problem.
Locking your car manually still aim the alarm. Roll your driver window down, manually lock your car, wait 1 minute then reach in open the door. It will set off the alarm. I don’t lock my SC at all at night.
Old 05-16-21, 09:20 AM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Originally Posted by GmanSC
Locking your car manually still aim the alarm. Roll your driver window down, manually lock your car, wait 1 minute then reach in open the door. It will set off the alarm. I don’t lock my SC at all at night.
I will have to try that. I know if I hit the lock button in the car (The one that locks all the doors simultaneously), it will arm the alarm. If I manually flip the button by the latch it shouldn't (but might, I have never tried it)
Old 05-16-21, 09:58 AM
GmanSC
Pole Position

I will have to try that. I know if I hit the lock button in the car (The one that locks all the doors simultaneously), it will arm the alarm. If I manually flip the button by the latch it shouldn't (but might, I have never tried it)
Ah, I did not think about flipping the switch. You’re absolutely right. I just went out and tried it. No alarm set. One problem though, you can not lock both doors. When you exit the car, both door are unlocked, so locking only driver side won’t do any good. I wonder if TechStream can change that. It might. I’ll look into it later.
Old 05-16-21, 10:18 AM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Originally Posted by GmanSC
Ah, I did not think about flipping the switch. You’re absolutely right. I just went out and tried it. No alarm set. One problem though, you can not lock both doors. When you exit the car, both door are unlocked, so locking only driver side won’t do any good. I wonder if TechStream can change that. It might. I’ll look into it later.
When I put my car into drive it locks both doors. When I put it into park it does not unlock my passenger door. So I just get out and manually flip the switch on the driver's door. Not sure if that was a setting I set, or if it is standard.

Still, you should be able to flip the lock on each door individually and get out without it unlocking one.
Old 05-16-21, 03:05 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 858 Likes on 689 Posts

When I put my car into drive it locks both doors. When I put it into park it does not unlock my passenger door. So I just get out and manually flip the switch on the driver's door. Not sure if that was a setting I set, or if it is standard.
it’s how you set it up with TechStream…park can unlock drivers only or both.

Old 06-04-21, 11:23 AM
ivanj
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Preserve settings and AAA batteries

It is my 5 Year Anniversary on ClubLexus. I joined May 2016

In those 5 years, I have seen a lot of discussion about Batteries, Trickle Chargers, Parasitic Draws, Bad Alternators and the like.

Anyways, here is a video from my favorite YouTube car mechanic covering everything you need to know about your battery. I think you will find it helpful:
https://youtu.be/YC--MLNIbik
1. If I replace the battery myself with a Group 46 AGM, or have AAA replace it, how do I retain the settings for the electronics or is that a non-issue?

2. If my battery is at 10V with the engine off is it time to replace it? Does the low voltage make the alternator work harder?

3. I have an inexpensive trickle charger set up but I have found that if I do not lock the car in my locked garage, even this crappy battery will hold the charge longer.

Congrats to DshngDaryl! Between Chris Fix and Scotty (and my friend Raoul) one is hardly ever led astray.
Old 06-05-21, 08:19 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 409 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by ivanj
1. If I replace the battery myself with a Group 46 AGM, or have AAA replace it, how do I retain the settings for the electronics or is that a non-issue?
2. If my battery is at 10V with the engine off is it time to replace it? Does the low voltage make the alternator work harder?
3. I have an inexpensive trickle charger set up but I have found that if I do not lock the car in my locked garage, even this crappy battery will hold the charge longer.
Congrats to DshngDaryl! Between Chris Fix and Scotty (and my friend Raoul) one is hardly ever led astray.
#2 yes & yes. Take it to an auto parts store and have them do a load test on the battery. It sounds like your battery is toast with the likelihood of have a shorted cell in it. But it would also be smart to make sure that your alternator is functioning fine.
#3, yes, a trickle charger will help even a bad battery. But don't rely on it, replace the battery.
Old 06-06-21, 08:55 AM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ivanj
1. how do I retain the settings for the electronics or is that a non-issue?

The settings are pretty much a non issue. You just need to run your seats through the limit learn procedure. (Pretty much run your seat all the way front, all the way back, tilt the backrest all the way front, all the way back) Disconnecting the battery will reset your drive style back to it's original settings. I actually think this is a good thing every now and then. There is no radio code you need to worry about.

a 10V battery according to Chris Fixx means you have a bad cell in your battery Since your battery is used to start your car and the alternator is used to keep your car running, my layman's answer is, no it does not cause your alternator to work harder.

Old 06-06-21, 12:41 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Since your battery is used to start your car and the alternator is used to keep your car running, my layman's answer is, no it does not cause your alternator to work harder.
I have to disagree with you here Daryl. The alternator is going to try to charge the battery and if the battery voltage is low, it will be drawing more energy than normal. This extra drain will place an extra strain on the alternator.
Old 06-06-21, 04:14 PM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Harold57
I have to disagree with you here Daryl. The alternator is going to try to charge the battery and if the battery voltage is low, it will be drawing more energy than normal. This extra drain will place an extra strain on the alternator.
I could see that, but isn't an alternator mechanically driven? The belt turns and the alternator produces energy? It does not speed up or slow down based on energy use.

Maybe the voltage regulator might be computer controlled, but I don't know enough about our system to answer that.
Old 06-07-21, 10:21 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

I'll spare you the calculations but the voltage drop will cause an increase in the wattage dropped across some of the alternator components. The increased wattage will increase the temperature rise. Correct, the alternator won't be able to increase speed to increase the energy output but will still "feel" the strain.
Old 06-07-21, 11:10 AM
GmanSC
Pole Position

I tend to agree with Daryl. The alternator spins at constant speed driven by the belt, which produces constant voltage which regulated by the voltage regulator in turn feeds to the battery. If the battery voltage dropped due to the dead cells, I don’t think the alternator will “know”, just the battery fails to receive the charge. Alternator fails because its internal mechanical and electrical components are wear and tear or short of life.
Old 06-07-21, 01:28 PM
iolmaster
Racer

Received 184 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by Harold57
I'll spare you the calculations but the voltage drop will cause an increase in the wattage dropped across some of the alternator components. The increased wattage will increase the temperature rise. Correct, the alternator won't be able to increase speed to increase the energy output but will still "feel" the strain.
Wow you have personified an alternator. I did not know alternators could have feelings. Who knew? There is some justification to what he says guys. If the voltage regulator that is built into the alternator sees a lower voltage constantly it will constantly try to put out more amps to bring the voltage up to 12. This will in turn increase the temp of the regulator. Most electronics do not like heat. You guys are in fact correct also that the generating part of the alternator will not change since it is driven mechanically. Remember, we used to have voltage regulators external to the generator. Now they are built in.

Quick Reply: Everything You Need to know about a Car Battery