SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

SC430 Parasitic Current Measurements Report

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-21, 04:13 PM
Seattle SCone
Advanced

Received 292 Likes on 174 Posts

We older ones also benefit with stereo microscopes. A loupes are not enough any more for me.

recapping the main ecu an other ecus is on my list of expected future needs as the car ages
Old 04-05-21, 04:53 PM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Received 545 Likes on 414 Posts

How the heck we derailed to soldering lesson? Good subject. As a tech for ten years and a ME for twenty one years, working for aerospace TRW, and various Electronic firms, I have quite a bit of experience in soldering techniques. Everything Paul said about desoldering is right on the dot. To solder the components back to the PCB use the same technic, with correct size of tip and solder. Pre-tin the tip and the leads. Flux the solder joints and apply the heat evenly, to flow the solder smoothly. Remember to clean the joints using brittle brush and alcohol.
At this time of age, most of us don’t repair PCB or replace components as they are mostly multi-leads large and small surface mounted chips which required special tools and techniques, however, it’s good to gain the knowledges of soldering just incase if you have to replace a capacitor or a resistor.
Old 06-24-21, 11:13 PM
1medic
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any Resolution ?

Originally Posted by TXFM
I know this has been beaten to death, but (with the help of Harold57) I was able to measure the Drain current (Ignition OFF) of the Parasitic current hogs by functions relative to the fuses. These are approx values.

2002 SC430 Total Parasitic current drain = 1.40 - 1.5 Amps (fluctuates)
Fuse 47 - Radio No.1 (Audio System) = 0.40 Amps

Fuse 43 - DC Cut (Master Fuse for Fuses 17, 18, 19 & 20) = 1.00 - 1.10 Amps
Fuse 17 - MPX-B1 (Door&SteeringLocks/Immobiliser/PowerSeat/TopRetractor) = 0.50 Amps
Fuse 18 - MPX-B3 (TiltSteer/HeadlightSwitch/WindshldWipe&Wash/TurnSignalSwitch) = 0.20 Amps
Fuse 19 - DOME (Lights/Antenna/DoorOpener/Audio) = 0.02 Amps
Fuse 20 - MPX-B2 (Guages/SkidControl/TirePressure) = 0.36 Amps

So, when Fuse 47 is removed, Total drain drops from 1.45'ish to around 1.0 Amp.
When Fuse 47 & Fuse 43 are both removed, Total Drain drops to approx 0.02 Amps - This would be good.

I don't understand why there needs to be current supplied to several of these functions (Fuses 47, 20, 18, and some functions for Fuse 17) when the ignition is off. What am I missing?
Thanks
Any resolution to this "drain" issue yet?

I'm helping out my father in law with his 2002 and 2006 SC's and they both have the same exact parasitic draw in the same fuses!! His Bay Area Lexus dealer told him its normal and to use a trickle charger if the car sits for more than a few days.
Old 06-25-21, 05:36 AM
TXFM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The only explanation that I've seen suggests that the Electrolytic capacitors on several circuit boards are degrading (leaking current?). One of the guys has replaced his E-lytics, and it seems to have worked. I really don't want to try that because I would almost certainly destroy the boards. /
Old 06-26-21, 07:19 PM
jimisbell
Instructor

Received 137 Likes on 103 Posts

There are electrolytics and there are electrolytics. The big ones, physically big, are the worst offenders. They happen to be the easy ones to replace. If you cant get the little ones, they are least likely to be causing problems anyway. Big ones are often held on by long wire leadsthat you can clip at the component and solder the new unit to the wires, but even if end soldered to the board, relatively easy to replace. That 1.4 amp drain is terrible and is most likely electrolytic caps on 14 year old boards. But if you can replace the radio with a more modern radio it will be a much better radio AND EASIER to do!!!. Dont replace it with an old used radio as the 14 year old electrolytics will be leaking !!!! Duh.
Old 07-02-21, 04:50 AM
AustinTex
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I replaced the radio in my high school daughters SC430 since she wanted apple car play and a back up camera

this new radio install cut off the navigation screen that she never used anyways. Not sure if that any additional benefits.

she hasn’t had an issue with battery drain since But she will also drive her car usually at least once a week.

Last edited by AustinTex; 07-02-21 at 04:58 AM.
The following users liked this post:
JTho (07-03-21)
Old 07-05-22, 10:01 AM
BuffMan
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

... so reading this thread it seems there are two options to resolve parasitic battery drain (excluding the resoldering/replacing old board components), summarized as follows:

1. Use battery maintainer & keep existing radio/amplifier system, or

2. Replace old radio & amp with completely new sound system.

Thoughts/comments? If new sound system removes prime source of parasitic drain, perhaps that enhances long term value. Yes, I know cost of battery maintainer is much less, but .... hmmm.
Old 07-05-22, 10:08 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 858 Likes on 689 Posts

Originally Posted by AustinTex
I replaced the radio in my high school daughters SC430 since she wanted apple car play and a back up camera

this new radio install cut off the navigation screen that she never used anyways. Not sure if that any additional benefits.

she hasn’t had an issue with battery drain since But she will also drive her car usually at least once a week.
did you use the BeatSonic interface?
do you want the backup camera to show up on the upper nav screen?
Old 07-05-22, 12:10 PM
jimisbell
Instructor

Originally Posted by BuffMan
... so reading this thread it seems there are two options to resolve parasitic battery drain (excluding the resoldering/replacing old board components), summarized as follows:

1. Use battery maintainer & keep existing radio/amplifier system, or

2. Replace old radio & amp with completely new sound system.

Thoughts/comments? If new sound system removes prime source of parasitic drain, perhaps that enhances long term value. Yes, I know cost of battery maintainer is much less, but .... hmmm.
You dont have to replace the old radio and amp. If you have a shop that can do it or if you can do it yourself, y0u can replace all the electrolytic capicitors and the problem will be solved cheaper than a new sound system
Old 07-05-22, 01:21 PM
AustinTex
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Bgw70
did you use the BeatSonic interface?
do you want the backup camera to show up on the upper nav screen?
I did not use the BeatSonic interface. Since this car was only being used by my teenage daughter who now in college and now will be used by my freshman daughter when she is old enough to drive.
I wanted something nice but did not want to spend too much.
I ended up loosing the navigation screen and lost controlling the volume on the steering wheel.(not a big deal for us since she uses her iphone for navigation that is now displayed on the stereo screen.)
I had a JBL stereo installed that also shows the image of the back up camera on it when in reverse.
My entire system cost me about $400 (install was included when I had it done.

Last edited by AustinTex; 07-05-22 at 02:21 PM.
Bgw70 (07-06-22)
Old 10-27-23, 10:07 AM
taybrynn
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just tested my battery drain and had similar results on 17. 18. 19 20 and 43.

My 43 drain was .06 most of the time.

Stereo was replaced in 2022 and doesn't seem to have a drain on its fuses.

THe security system #12 had a load of .01a

** I added a battery cut off on the negative terminal and have had no issues with doing that regularly ... yes, I lose radio presets and the clock is always off
but I use bluetooth or a cord/iphone to run the music with. The sound system is disgraceful considering my father in law spent over 1200 upgrading it and
the NAV doesn't work and the steering controls don't work and the sound overall sounds like a $40 kraco stereo (no bass). Removing the OEM radio really
cripples the car, but most of what is disabled wasn't any good to begin with.

The car will drain seriously in a week and pretty significantly in just 3-4 days. THe battery shut off is the easiest, just pop hood and slide it out and your good
till the next time. If leaving for months, then a maintainer might be a better idea, but I just check and recharge with my CLORE PL2320 which is excellent.
I've installed NOCO Genius 2D on other cars with similar issues and its nice, but you have to have a cord hanging out all the time and the cord it comes with
is woefully short for a clean install. Sure splice more cable or use a short extension.

THis is the shut off I installed.
(it is a lower profile model that I mounted onto negative terminal)

Old 10-27-23, 10:13 AM
joemg
Instructor

Received 271 Likes on 191 Posts

On a FB group, I saw someone chased the drain down to the GPS nav unit in the back. You may want to check that, I believe it's on a different fuse than the headunit/amp (not 100% sure).
Seattle SCone (10-30-23)
Old 10-28-23, 10:23 AM
jimisbell
Instructor

Originally Posted by joemg
On a FB group, I saw someone chased the drain down to the GPS nav unit in the back. You may want to check that, I believe it's on a different fuse than the headunit/amp (not 100% sure).
If it was the GPS unit that wou8ld be a great find since that thing is prety much useless these days with the last CD version being 2016
Tanker (10-29-23)
Old 10-29-23, 04:42 AM
Tanker
Driver

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

If you all are parking your cars in places for long periods of time I'm going to suggest the route I took.

Add a Compustar Alarm system with the droan feature.

It will report the cars status to you, including battery charge. If battery reports low, remote start the car and let the battery charge. It will remote start as long as there is a cell signal at the car.
Old 10-29-23, 05:14 AM
Someone028
Rookie

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

That sounds interesting. I checked their website and found the info below that states that remote starting won't recharge your battery. Is there some other info that I've missed? Thanks.
-

https://www.compustar.com/blog/winter-car-battery-failure

2. Monitor Your Battery with Drone Mobile (as one word)

Did you know all 2-way Compustar systems now include a Drone X1 module? When you activate Battery Monitoring Alerts, Drone Mobile will monitor your battery’s voltage and send you a push notification or a text message if your vehicle’s battery dips below 11.7 volts.

3. Remote Start Your Engine

While remote starting won’t recharge your battery, it will help with some of the other issues that lead to battery failure. Remote starting and letting your engine idle for just a few minutes will warm up the fluids that may have thickened in the cold.

Last edited by Someone028; 10-29-23 at 05:19 AM. Reason: part of paste from website was obscured...

Quick Reply: SC430 Parasitic Current Measurements Report