SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Timing belt and water pump

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-21, 08:43 AM
docjenn
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing belt and water pump

Is there a quality difference between Lexus and Aisin timing belt and water pump rebuild kits? Other than cost!
Old 03-26-21, 11:34 AM
Raven01750
Racer

Received 333 Likes on 267 Posts

Ewww. Good question. But since there has never been a quantifiable study done, then you won't find a reliable answer to your question here. Sorry. Did you check Warranties? That could be a determining factor I guess. But considering we have an interference engine that self destructs if the TB breaks, I don't personally believe that cost savings are relevant for this type of job. Water pump? The hassle of putting one in and changing it due to premature failure is a risk that some can't tolerate. Some people like me can do the work themselves time and location permitting, but having to do it more than once in it's expected life is not what anyone would want. Each his own of course. Some of our on-line auction houses and retailors have been called out recently for fake TOYOTA/LEXUS parts being sold with no notification to the consumer that they are not purchasing genuine TOYOTA/LEXUS parts. So, again, you get what you pay for. Good luck with your decision.

Paul
Old 03-26-21, 01:54 PM
Wilson2000
Pole Position

Received 419 Likes on 334 Posts

Originally Posted by Raven01750
Some of our on-line auction houses and retailors have been called out recently for fake TOYOTA/LEXUS parts being sold with no notification to the consumer that they are not purchasing genuine TOYOTA/LEXUS parts. So, again, you get what you pay for.
Unfortunately, one often DOESN'T always get what one pays for, as in your example of the fake OEM parts!

Here's a list of parts sourcing possibilities starting from best to worst:

1. True Toyota/Lexus OEM parts sourced from a legitimate dealer in person or on-line. The best chance of getting parts as good as the parts used in the factory, although, even replacement parts may differ from factory parts.

2. Aftermarket "OEM-like" parts supposedly sourced from the same manufacturer of the true Toyota/Lexus OEM (as in the Aisin TB example). If it is the same exact part, great! However, it may not be.

3. Aftermarket OEM-like parts sourced from any manufacturer. Could be good quality, could be poor...no way of knowing.

4. Counterfeit "True Toyota/Lexus OEM" parts are being made in, and shipped from, China. These parts have fake Toyota/Lexus labels. So, the consumer is paying almost as much as they would sourcing the parts from a Lexus dealer, but getting aftermarket OEM-like parts of unknown quality.

When it comes to a job as critical as the TB with the recommended associated parts involved (i.e., water pump, pulleys, tensioner) in the service, it's best to source true Toyota/Lexus OEM from a reputable dealer.
Old 03-26-21, 02:12 PM
Seattle SCone
Advanced

Received 291 Likes on 174 Posts

I've been pondering four options of doing the timing belt and water pump

1. Aisin Kit $300 (kit + FIPG + ATF + coolant) with about two days my own work & mess in my garage (on my own if anything goes awry) $300 total

2. Aisin Kit + independent shop $300 parts I supply, $700 shop labor + $150 car rental (untested coverage for post work issues) $1150

3. Toyota dealership $1600 includes loaner vehicle (probably good coverage for post work issues) $1600

4. Lexus dealership $1800 includes loaner vehicle (good coverage for post work issues) $1800

Using an independent shop isn't that compelling a savings.

That leaves two extremes of DIY vs dealership. If I DIY, that's $2000 of my time value, and there is no warranty nor do I have assurance of genuine parts.

It's a big and critical job. I'm apt to go with the Lexus dealership given the smallish difference between Lexus and Toyota in my region. BTW - I added cost of hydraulic tensioner because it is NOT part of routine timing belt and water pump at local Lexus.

On the other hand, a broken timing belt and ruined top engine is maybe $20K of repair cost. No question it is smart to replace them.
Old 03-26-21, 02:32 PM
Wilson2000
Pole Position

I plan to do my TB myself. I've done several other Toyotas, so I know what I'm getting into. I always prefer to do my own work because I know it will be done right, no matter how many hurdles I have to jump through, and no matter how long it takes. A mechanic on the clock will take short cuts when they get behind on a job due to complications, and there are ALWAYS complications. I will buy all my parts from a dealer.

I'm lucky because I have extra vehicles to use while the SC is down, so a loaner isn't an issue. Oh yeah, I'm also retired as of one year ago! But even before I retired, I have always found away to do all my own work. So far, in 50 years, I haven't screwed anything up, yet, so a warranty is inconsequential to me.
Old 03-26-21, 02:40 PM
iolmaster
Racer

Received 184 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by docjenn
Is there a quality difference between Lexus and Aisin timing belt and water pump rebuild kits? Other than cost!
This has been discussed ad nauseum. Aisin makes the Toyota parts that are used in both Toyota and Lexus. Many of us have used the Aisin kit over the years and found that the items included in the kit are in fact OEM. If you look at your brake reservoir it it says Aisin right on it. YOu will be fine with the Aisin kit.
Old 03-26-21, 02:48 PM
Seattle SCone
Advanced

Received 291 Likes on 174 Posts

Kudos to those who DIY their timing belt. I keep going back and forth over my options. One more year before I have to decide. Meanwhile, it's about $600 risk / year at my 3rd belt's 70,000K.
Old 03-26-21, 03:51 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 858 Likes on 689 Posts

Originally Posted by Wilson2000
I plan to do my TB myself. I've done several other Toyotas, so I know what I'm getting into. I always prefer to do my own work because I know it will be done right, no matter how many hurdles I have to jump through, and no matter how long it takes. A mechanic on the clock will take short cuts when they get behind on a job due to complications, and there are ALWAYS complications. I will buy all my parts from a dealer.

I'm lucky because I have extra vehicles to use while the SC is down, so a loaner isn't an issue. Oh yeah, I'm also retired as of one year ago! But even before I retired, I have always found away to do all my own work. So far, in 50 years, I haven't screwed anything up, yet, so a warranty is inconsequential to me.
I sincerely wish you all the best on this job Wilson...My son and I did the 2002 SC430 six years ago...it was a HUGE job and provided great satisfaction when she started right up.
When I purchased the 2007 SC430, I planned to do the TB/WP job again...My son had left for the USAF so I was solo this time...I started that job three times and finally decided to let a former Lexus trained dealer mechanic do the work. All good.

Again, I wish you well.
Let us know how it goes ;-)
Old 03-26-21, 04:16 PM
Wilson2000
Pole Position

Originally Posted by iolmaster
This has been discussed ad nauseum.
I think the discussion deserves more "nauseum" because of the new knowledge regarding counterfeiting. Counterfeiting doesn't only apply to Toyota/Lexus OEM, it also applies to companies like Aisin. When cheapo parts manufacturers see an opportunity to get Aisin prices for their crap quality parts, they simply print Aisin on the box and label, or stamp Aisin on the part and sell it as an Aisin part for mo money.

A person in the 5th gen ES Forum is complaining because his replacement KYB strut assemblies ride poorly. I suggested he may have unknowingly gotten a hold of cheap Chinese replacements with KYB stamped on them! You never know when buying on-line, and even brick and mortar stores could be victims of the scam.