SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Rodent ate knock sensor wire at base of the plug 02 SC 430

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-19, 04:58 PM
jemyers
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Update: i got good newa and frustrating news. Good news is I replaced the knock sensors with lexus sensors. I also found out lexus does make a knock sensor harnes for tue SC. $210. Spent today replacing the harness and sensors. Repairing couple of tue wires eaten by rodents. Put it all back together. I'll send pictures later.

Frustrating part is now I've got check engine light, vsc off and vsc lights on. No knock senso code, but now have P1330. Now the car has a slight shake and you can hear it through the mufflers. I did the reset procedures for the vsc off and vsc, but they kept coming back on

My Achilles heel is electrical circuitry.

Please shed some light and give me some direction.

Thanks.
Old 10-13-19, 04:25 AM
VVTiBob

Received 267 Likes on 203 Posts

Although this video is on the GS430, the motor is the same.
Old 10-13-19, 09:45 AM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Received 476 Likes on 396 Posts

Originally Posted by jemyers
Repairing couple of tue wires eaten by rodents..
What's a tue wire? Not trying to nit pick, but I think it may be related to your error code. Which other wires did you have to repair? Have you figured out the path the mouse used to get to your knock sensor area? I bet if you can trace it's steps, you can check other wires for damage
Old 10-13-19, 10:13 AM
Raven01750
Racer

Received 338 Likes on 271 Posts

LOL. My guess is that was supposed to say "the" wires. He is moving on to the new codes that popped up. I think it is the P1330 which he has started a new thread for.

Paul

Last edited by Raven01750; 10-13-19 at 10:21 AM.
Old 10-20-19, 01:13 PM
jemyers
Driver School Candidate

First time post. If this is the wrong spot please move as appropriate.

I recently came into a 2002 SC 430. Its a great story and the car means a lot to me. It has 55k miles on it. The check engine light is on and the code indicated a bad knock sensor.

I bought the lexus knock sensors and when i tore the engine down to the knock sensors it became apparent that rodents had made a home in the space by the starter and had eaten the wire completely off one of the knock sensors at the base of the plug.

I called lexus and they dont sell a knock sensor wire harness and you have to buy a new complete wire harness at $5k.

Isearched internet for salvaged wire harnessess and seems like everyone of the harnesses was missing those leads. I hoped to clip the wire and solder it to my cars harness.

This car really does have special meaning and i hope that some experience here can speak to this issue and offer advice and reccomendations.

Please help me figure thus out?

Look forward to the comments.
This is the post that started it all. i am happy to report the problem is resolved. The rats had eaten the harness underneath the battery box. Now she runs like a top, a dream.

Thanks for all the sound advice. I really do appreciate it.

Im going to attempt some pics now.

Old 10-20-19, 01:16 PM
jemyers
Driver School Candidate

This is the post that started it all. i am happy to report the problem is resolved. The rats had eaten the harness underneath the battery box. Now she runs like a top, a dream.

Thanks for all the sound advice. I really do appreciate it.

Im going to attempt some pics now.

Old 10-20-19, 01:17 PM
jemyers
Driver School Candidate

Old 10-20-19, 01:23 PM
jemyers
Driver School Candidate

Old 10-20-19, 02:09 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 310 Likes on 229 Posts

Love the saddle interior. I had this on my LS430 UL. That's one thing I really wish we had - ventilated seats.
Old 10-21-19, 11:51 AM
VVTiBob

Received 267 Likes on 203 Posts

Think about this....depending on when your car was built, it quickly creeping up on 20 years old. That leather looks to be in amazing condition as to color and grain. No sign of wear and tear. How’s it holding up with suppleness/flexibility? I have a few places in my car (Black leather from Spain) that seem to be hardening and I’m searching for solutions.
Old 10-21-19, 12:04 PM
Raven01750
Racer

Received 338 Likes on 271 Posts

Getting a little off topic but because you asked. There are so many leather conditioners out there all claiming the same thing. Restore this to your leather, restore that to your leather. The only thing I have never really seen addressed is the issue that the leather you are trying to restore has been "PAINTED" to give it that color. There are color codes for every interior out there or something very close. Why is it only hardening in "a few places" is the question. It could be the thickness of the leather being inconsistent. And to me, the only true way to restore the suppleness is to remove the piece and treat it properly from the back side which of course no one is going to do because of the hassle.

So, if I were you, I would contact a Saddlery (where they make actual horse saddles) like "San Diego Saddlery" in El Cajon and talk to them. I mean if these guys don't know how to take care of leather, then nobody does.

Paul
Old 10-22-19, 06:58 PM
jemyers
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by VVTiBob
Think about this....depending on when your car was built, it quickly creeping up on 20 years old. That leather looks to be in amazing condition as to color and grain. No sign of wear and tear. How’s it holding up with suppleness/flexibility? I have a few places in my car (Black leather from Spain) that seem to be hardening and I’m searching for solutions.
Leather looks just as good in person as it does in the picture. Just for good .measure, i cleaned and conditioned it this past weekend.