SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

SC430 Backseat removal - speaker access

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-18, 02:25 PM
sagmanaur
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post
Default SC430 Backseat removal - speaker access

Great information on the forum regarding fixing/replacing the speakers in the SC430, but I was having trouble finding information on how to remove the backseat and gain access to the rear speaker and subwoofer. I tackled the project earlier this summer, but I am finally getting around to posting pictures.
First remove the lower part of the backseat, it is as simple as pulling up on the front edge of the seat.

Next remove the back of the rear headrests to gain access the the bolts.

And then the next layer to remove the headrest itself.

Then remove the bolts that hold in the upright portion of the backseat.

The side panels to gain access to the rear side speakers was a little tricky. I didn't need to repair those 2 speakers so I don't have pictures to do it. I do know there is a bolt that is was easier to access if you have the convertible top in the slightly open state. It is slightly behind the top upright portion of the back seat and is "under" the flap that goes up and down to allow the convertible to open/close.
The following 9 users liked this post by sagmanaur:
digitatc (01-21-19), DJHydrogen (02-18-20), Jabberwock (09-15-18), maarp (09-17-18), Magadan (02-12-20), ShellyGX (09-14-18), tj5243 (04-15-20), Victor14 (07-31-19), ZMTLSC430 (09-04-21) and 4 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 09-14-18, 02:44 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 858 Likes on 689 Posts

I luv it!
well done!!!

Welcome to Club Lexus!!!
Old 09-14-18, 06:10 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 409 Likes on 359 Posts

Nicely done. Thanks for the DIY!

I see that your rear headrest leather hasn't shrunk. Looks good. (My first thought was, Oh that's what it is supposed to look like. )
Old 09-17-18, 04:43 AM
maarp
Pole Position

Received 61 Likes on 45 Posts

Nice, thanks for the pics.

In the last picture, I see a series of 4 or 5 screws holding the side panel in place. Is that all that is necessary to get at the side speakers? (Is that all? he asks... )
Old 10-03-18, 12:58 PM
slawless
Rookie

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I wanted to add to sagmanaur very timely (at least for me) post. I had to replace the drivers seat belt. I needed to remove the side panel. This post and others mention hidden screws. So I wanted to show exactly where they are.
First you will need to put the roof partly up so the rear deck raises. This will expose 2 hidden fasteners. a screw and a push pin.

next use a trim removal tool to remove the trim piece where the seatbelt comes out of the side panel you will see a bolt.

That's it for the hidden fasteners. There are 4 obvious bolts you can see in sagmanaur's last image. 3 at the back edge of the panel and one near the head rest. The side panel will then come out pretty easily.
The following 4 users liked this post by slawless:
DaveGS4 (12-10-18), mak99 (10-03-18), ShellyGX (10-03-18), ZMTLSC430 (09-04-21)
Old 12-08-18, 02:32 PM
mak99
Pit Crew

Received 65 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by slawless
I wanted to add to sagmanaur very timely (at least for me) post. I had to replace the drivers seat belt. I needed to remove the side panel. This post and others mention hidden screws. So I wanted to show exactly where they are.
First you will need to put the roof partly up so the rear deck raises. This will expose 2 hidden fasteners. a screw and a push pin.
I accessed my sub and rear speakers just a few weeks ago (the pictures in this thread were perfect!) and wanted to add my two cents. Re: the "roof partly up" comment, I did mine same as per slawless's pictures, where the roof/rear window was fully in the trunk, not halfway up in the air. Only the trunk lid and package shelf were in the up position.

For you first-timers accessing the rear speakers like I just did, take your time and it should go easier than you think. And after you button everything back up, you realize you could now do it in half the time should you ever need to do it again...

FWIW, the sub repair was easy, just had to replace the surround (completely detached from frame) with the Simply Speakers kit. The rear side speakers were fine, though I think they were replaced a few years ago by the previous owner.

^^ sub ready for removal

^^ driver side rear speaker

^^ passenger side rear speaker

^^ rear passenger speaker/bracket

Last edited by mak99; 12-08-18 at 02:40 PM.
Old 12-10-18, 10:10 AM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Received 463 Likes on 388 Posts

If anyone needs it, the round thing with the hose coming out, is the fuel pump door. That is what you unbolt to replace your fuel pump.

It is where the right rear passenger seat would be.

Old 12-10-18, 08:38 PM
mak99
Pit Crew

Received 65 Likes on 41 Posts

Hopefully not a dumb question, but here?

Only because there is something similar-looking on the driver's side:

^^ note the "bonus CD" I discovered was from the previous owner...no idea who the artist was but the sound quality was horrible!

Last edited by mak99; 12-10-18 at 08:46 PM. Reason: added driver-side pic
Old 12-10-18, 10:58 PM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Received 545 Likes on 414 Posts

What is the thing on the driver side? A second fuel pump? I also see the hose comes out of it.
Old 12-11-18, 12:44 PM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Received 463 Likes on 388 Posts

Hey, you guys are right. The fuel pump is on the driver's side with the three bolts. The passenger side is the Sending Unit (I think)

Here is a Club Lexus HOW TO from a GS that will give you specific instructions
https://www.clublexus.com/how-tos/a/...el-pump-367529

Here is a picture of the Fuel Pump and the sending unit
The following users liked this post:
mak99 (12-11-18)
Old 07-31-19, 08:36 PM
Victor14
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mak99
I accessed my sub and rear speakers just a few weeks ago (the pictures in this thread were perfect!) and wanted to add my two cents. Re: the "roof partly up" comment, I did mine same as per slawless's pictures, where the roof/rear window was fully in the trunk, not halfway up in the air. Only the trunk lid and package shelf were in the up position.

For you first-timers accessing the rear speakers like I just did, take your time and it should go easier than you think. And after you button everything back up, you realize you could now do it in half the time should you ever need to do it again...

FWIW, the sub repair was easy, just had to replace the surround (completely detached from frame) with the Simply Speakers kit. The rear side speakers were fine, though I think they were replaced a few years ago by the previous owner.

^^ sub ready for removal

^^ driver side rear speaker

^^ passenger side rear speaker

What size is the rear side speakers?
Thank You.
ZMTLSC430 (09-04-21)
Old 07-31-19, 08:45 PM
VVTiBob

Received 265 Likes on 201 Posts

12 centimeters or 4.5 inch 8ohm
Victor14 (07-31-19)
Old 07-31-19, 10:50 PM
Victor14
Driver School Candidate

Thank You!
Old 08-16-19, 02:29 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

Great thread. Just fixed my sub as well. Very easy to do if you have the right tools. You do need a T10 torx for at the speaker. The surround was totally disintegrated on mine. Standard Toyota 8" is perfect for the repair. Can't beat it for $24

ZMTLSC430 (09-04-21)
Old 12-19-19, 12:54 PM
jmjsc430
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by sagmanaur
Great information on the forum regarding fixing/replacing the speakers in the SC430, but I was having trouble finding information on how to remove the backseat and gain access to the rear speaker and subwoofer. I tackled the project earlier this summer, but I am finally getting around to posting pictures.
First remove the lower part of the backseat, it is as simple as pulling up on the front edge of the seat.

Next remove the back of the rear headrests to gain access the the bolts.

And then the next layer to remove the headrest itself.

Then remove the bolts that hold in the upright portion of the backseat.

The side panels to gain access to the rear side speakers was a little tricky. I didn't need to repair those 2 speakers so I don't have pictures to do it. I do know there is a bolt that is was easier to access if you have the convertible top in the slightly open state. It is slightly behind the top upright portion of the back seat and is "under" the flap that goes up and down to allow the convertible to open/close.
Thanks for the post! It was a tremendous help. The photos and instructions were spot on... I was able to get the seat and speaker out of the car with ease.

Quick Reply: SC430 Backseat removal - speaker access