Noise with New Timing Belt/WP Kit

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-18, 04:02 AM
Hyper15125
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Noise with New Timing Belt/WP Kit

Greetings all,

At 16 years old and almost 33k I decided to do the Timing belt just to be safe. I ordered a Gates kit which included the Gates Belt, Aisin water Pump, Tensions and bearings that were the same name as the OE.

It seems that I am getting a strange whirring noise. I disconnected the accessory serpentine and it is still there. My cousin who is a fulltime Auto Tech says this is normal and that as it breaks in that it will quiet down. Its not loud at all but thought it was weird. I was a tech many years ago and have done tons of timing belts, mostly 4cyls and never heard of a break in period.

Here is a short video clip, let me know what you all think;

Old 04-19-18, 06:32 AM
VVTiBob

Received 265 Likes on 201 Posts

Never heard that sound before, but I’ve always used OEM parts on this type of job.
Old 04-19-18, 07:25 AM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 133 Likes on 123 Posts

Idler pulley?
Old 04-19-18, 08:20 AM
Audiqv8
Intermediate

Received 57 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Hyper15125
Greetings all,

At 16 years old and almost 33k I decided to do the Timing belt just to be safe. I ordered a Gates kit which included the Gates Belt, Aisin water Pump, Tensions and bearings that were the same name as the OE.

It seems that I am getting a strange whirring noise. I disconnected the accessory serpentine and it is still there. My cousin who is a fulltime Auto Tech says this is normal and that as it breaks in that it will quiet down. Its not loud at all but thought it was weird. I was a tech many years ago and have done tons of timing belts, mostly 4cyls and never heard of a break in period.

Here is a short video clip, let me know what you all think;

https://youtu.be/bqDJ0YngR6M
Since this occurred after a timing belt change I would suspect the Gates timing belt. Although this is not an Audi forum, we have noticed that Gates belt will sometime make noise. I would have gone with the OEM timing belt.
see link below.
Old 04-19-18, 09:06 AM
VVTiBob

Received 265 Likes on 201 Posts

Yikes! That sounded awful. A metal on metal sliding-taping sound and I would have thought it was a bearing issue too. In fact, listening to your short audio clip, the first thing that crossed my mind was a bearing problem. But the whrrrrring sounds throws you off. Now after watching this new video it says something about the manufacturing process of belts. Wonder who actually makes the timing belts Toyota installs in their cars?
Old 04-19-18, 09:19 AM
Audiqv8
Intermediate

Received 57 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by VVTiBob
Wonder who actually makes the timing belts Toyota installs in their cars?
Mitsubishi timing belt, Aisin water pump, and Koyo idle bearing and Tensioner.
The following users liked this post:
VVTiBob (04-19-18)
Old 04-19-18, 10:15 AM
iolmaster
Racer

Received 180 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by Audiqv8
Aisin kit TKT-021 has those exact parts. Although the description on the Amazon page gives options of the brands in the kit, the kit I received had those exact brands.

Amazon Amazon
Old 04-19-18, 10:25 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 855 Likes on 688 Posts

Originally Posted by Audiqv8
Mitsuboshi...I used a Gates kit on my 2002 SC430 about 20k miles ago...still no issues.

i installed an Aisin kit on my 2008 V6 Accord and it made some odd sounds for the first few days.

I really cannot tell anything from the OPs video...
Old 04-19-18, 05:44 PM
Hyper15125
Pit Crew

Yeah I am torn on what to do. My cousin says is normal and will go away. He says he does them all the time and by the time they come back for an oil change it is normal. The Kit is a gates belt, Aisin WP, Koyo bearings/tensioner.

The idler pulley was nice and tight and smooth, the. Tensioner pulley/bearing had a little sound to it, almost like a skate board wheel, i was told that it was fine and would break in. I may just rip it back apart, change the tensioner and TB to dealer parts for piece of mind, don’t have too much confidence that miles will make it go away.
Old 04-19-18, 06:01 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,712 Likes on 2,297 Posts

That is classic "timing belt flutter" noise it will not cause any problems. It might go away after awhile or not at all, the fix is to immaculately clean the crank and cam gears of old timing belt material which tends to fuse to the teeth. And use an OEM or Mitsuboshi timing belt, or Dayco they are the quietest belts I've used. Gates belts are average quality at best the rubber is fairly hard and they are noisy.
Old 04-19-18, 06:12 PM
Hyper15125
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
That is classic "timing belt flutter" noise it will not cause any problems. It might go away after awhile or not at all, the fix is to immaculately clean the crank and cam gears of old timing belt material which tends to fuse to the teeth. And use an OEM or Mitsuboshi timing belt, or Dayco they are the quietest belts I've used. Gates belts are average quality at best the rubber is fairly hard and they are noisy.
The old belt was in great shape with no deterioration, probably could have done 90k i just wanted piece of mind. I cleaned the entire area very well before installing bearings and belts, it was spotless.
Old 04-19-18, 06:57 PM
Hyper15125
Pit Crew

This is definitely not flutter, its not loose.
Old 04-19-18, 09:14 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,712 Likes on 2,297 Posts

This is definitely not flutter, its not loose.
It's just a term based on the sound it makes, not that the belt is loose. That is timing belt noise.
Old 04-20-18, 03:03 AM
Hyper15125
Pit Crew

It's just a term based on the sound it makes, not that the belt is loose. That is timing belt noise.
flutter means slack between pulleys, hence loose, and there is none.
Old 04-20-18, 05:25 AM
sixonemale
Intermediate

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

The idler pulley was nice and tight and smooth, the. Tensioner pulley/bearing had a little sound to it, almost like a skate board wheel, i was told that it was fine and would break in. I may just rip it back apart, change the tensioner and TB to dealer parts for piece of mind, don’t have too much confidence that miles will make it go away.
I have never heard of bearings sounding like a skate board wheel and then getting better over time. That doesn't mean it's not true, but intuitively you would think sealed bearings from the start should be smooth as silk. I don't like noises, rattles, etc., and go after them tenaciously. I would probably do what you have suggested and once changed the problem may be solved and if not you'll have better information as to what is causing the noise.

Last edited by sixonemale; 04-20-18 at 07:09 AM.

Quick Reply: Noise with New Timing Belt/WP Kit