SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

2004 Lexus 430 SC phone connection?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-17, 07:21 AM
mdharry
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 Lexus 430 SC phone connection?

I have a 2004 Lexus 430 SC is there anyway of connecting my iPhone to it?
Old 09-02-17, 08:29 AM
iolmaster
Racer

Received 197 Likes on 166 Posts

I do not believe the 04 has that capability with the stock electronics.
Old 09-02-17, 10:57 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 413 Likes on 362 Posts

There are add in electronics that you can insert between the radio and the amp that will allow that connection.
Old 09-02-17, 05:46 PM
Bprakash
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Try Grom audio. It works well as a bluetooth device. It however disables your CD changer. https://gromaudio.com//
Old 09-03-17, 07:36 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Vias has a great solution and you don't lose your cd player
Old 09-05-17, 10:12 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Bprakash
Try Grom audio. It works well as a bluetooth device. It however disables your CD changer. https://gromaudio.com//
This is not true. I have a 2007 Radio in my 2002 Lexus SC430 and I'm using the GROM Unit. My CD player still functions. (BUT keep in mind that I have a 2007 radio).

Additionally, mdHarry, I have a SL3U Vais Unit that allows dedicated AUX via 3.5mm cable that I will be putting up for sale in the classified section tomorrow. It works without issue in the 2001-2009 SC430's. Amazing CD quality sound. Send me a private message if you're interested.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...430-parts.html

Last edited by ShawnOk; 09-05-17 at 10:16 PM.
Old 09-06-17, 01:52 AM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Received 567 Likes on 433 Posts

I donn't understand. Why go thru all the the trouble ? All you have to do is purchase a twenty dollar cassette Bluetooth adapter from EBay or Amazon and you can have all the music from your phone. It also do hand-free phone conversation.
Old 09-07-17, 01:56 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Originally Posted by GmanSC
I donn't understand. Why go thru all the the trouble ? All you have to do is purchase a twenty dollar cassette Bluetooth adapter from EBay or Amazon and you can have all the music from your phone. It also do hand-free phone conversation.
Sure, but then you have to change the battery or recharge it every so often, plus many of the casette adapters I tried in the past either give some sort of background noise, or you actually hear the tape in the deck clicking occasionally. If you go the traditional route with the normal wired casette adapter, if really shows the age of the car. Just yesterday, I guy approached me while at Costco getting my air topped off. He thought it was a newer Lexus. His jaw nearly hit the pavement when i said 15 years old. Having the tape deck makes the look jaded. Using it, makes me feel jaded. Plus, then every time you want to change track or station you gotta change it on your phone while driving. Hello tickets. Just my opinion.

Last edited by ShawnOk; 09-07-17 at 01:59 PM.
The following users liked this post:
MrHarris (06-04-22)
Old 09-11-17, 10:29 PM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Received 567 Likes on 433 Posts

Originally Posted by ShawnOk
Sure, but then you have to change the battery or recharge it every so often, plus many of the casette adapters I tried in the past either give some sort of background noise, or you actually hear the tape in the deck clicking occasionally. If you go the traditional route with the normal wired casette adapter, if really shows the age of the car. Just yesterday, I guy approached me while at Costco getting my air topped off. He thought it was a newer Lexus. His jaw nearly hit the pavement when i said 15 years old. Having the tape deck makes the look jaded. Using it, makes me feel jaded. Plus, then every time you want to change track or station you gotta change it on your phone while driving. Hello tickets. Just my opinion.
Personally, I don't use bluetooth cassette adapter. I bough a Monster cassette adapter and a CD mount Kumus magnetic phone holder and use the AUX function of the ML for listening music from my phone and also for hand free conversation.

For changing tracks or selecting song, or calling a number, it's just as simple as pushing the buttons from you radio.

I can retain the OEM radio look and enjoy all the music from Youtube or phone library. Cheap and simple.
Old 09-12-17, 07:38 AM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Originally Posted by GmanSC
Personally, I don't use bluetooth cassette adapter. I bough a Monster cassette adapter and a CD mount Kumus magnetic phone holder and use the AUX function of the ML for listening music from my phone and also for hand free conversation.

For changing tracks or selecting song, or calling a number, it's just as simple as pushing the buttons from you radio.

I can retain the OEM radio look and enjoy all the music from Youtube or phone library. Cheap and simple.
Can you take a photo of your dash/center console setup please?
Old 09-12-17, 11:46 AM
jzdulexus
Pole Position

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

If you have an 05 and after radio putting in a cassette bluetooth adapter is a huge compromise. First the sound is not digital, second the battery needs to be charged all the time, third you have no control from the steering wheel, fourth its not auto connected when you step into the car, fifth its a pain to switch cassettes while you are driving (a lot of people have two cassettes so they don't run out of battery), not to mention it has a wire tangling from the radio all the time. The only upside of the cassette setup is it's super intuitive.

Last edited by jzdulexus; 09-12-17 at 12:01 PM.
Old 09-12-17, 02:12 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jzdulexus
If you have an 05 and after radio putting in a cassette bluetooth adapter is a huge compromise. First the sound is not digital, second the battery needs to be charged all the time, third you have no control from the steering wheel, fourth its not auto connected when you step into the car, fifth its a pain to switch cassettes while you are driving (a lot of people have two cassettes so they don't run out of battery), not to mention it has a wire tangling from the radio all the time. The only upside of the cassette setup is it's super intuitive.
100% agree with every point made in this statement. I must admit that with the two functional options I've tried (VaisTech and GROM; I have tried about 12 others that didn't pan out), both are better than any cassette (Bluetooth or nonBluetooth) adapter. I understand the idea of clinging to 90's technology if it's a factor of money. But saving up for a bit and going the distance is truly rewarding. There's so much more to be gained by having an "slightly" upgraded setup that allows track control from the steering wheel so you never take your eyes off the road, handsfree calling, OKGoogle recognition, voice navigation through the radio, and to avoid having a cluttered dash with long swan neck phone holders and cassette tape/Auxillary wires running everywhere. Plus the addon options of XMRadio or HDRadio! A 30 minute install for these aftermarket add-ons and life is golden. I feel like those owners that went the full install with BeatSonic and new head unit get the most updated rig but I can't tear myself away from the classic look of the center stack and thus I choose to "cautiously" upgrade the OEM system around the ML head unit.
Old 09-13-17, 10:37 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 413 Likes on 362 Posts

Shawn, since you have experience with both the ViasTech and Grom, which one do you prefer? What are the pros and cons of each? (I also have a 2002.)
Old 09-13-17, 01:07 PM
jzdulexus
Pole Position

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

I don't think Grom is compatible with 2002.
Old 09-13-17, 04:18 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

True. GROM only works with 2006+ (or if you plug and play a 2006+ radio into a pre2006 as I did), while VaisTech SL3U works in years 2001-2009. GROM has more functions: Bluetooth Handsfree calling, BT Music play with track controls from the steering wheel, HDRadio (must purchase tuner module), iPod/iPhone connection (must purchase extra cable), 3.5mm Aux input (must purchase extra cable). VaisTech gives a dedicated RCA Red/White/3.5mm AUX input with CD quality sound. GROM is a little tougher to become acquianted with, while SL3u is very intuitive. In both cases, you WILL NOT lose the 6 CD changer function. With GROM the BT autoconnects when the car starts and disconnects when the car turns off, which is nice. Never have to pull phone out of pocket. Theoretically I could play music (saved playlist/pandora/tunein/etc) straight from phone, but I haven't tried yet. Secondly, I ordered the HDRadio component but haven't installed it yet.

Only downside I have with GROM is that it can be a little cumbersome to switch back and forth sometimes when the iPod doesn't start playing (it's a push button sequence of FM>CD>FM>CD>Track UP; then it will either say "USB" or "A.U.X." to tell you what mode it is currently set. USB has my 65GB ipod and therefore it will start playing the first playlist I have saved but I can track up/down to move tracks from the radio face and steering controls. Or I can press DISC UP/DOWN to change to the next saved playlist. Unfortunately, the screen does not show the names of tracks or playlists, only track number and playlist number. AUX has my ASUS media player/phone screen mirror.

Last edited by ShawnOk; 09-13-17 at 04:28 PM.
The following users liked this post:
JakeinCali (02-23-20)

Quick Reply: 2004 Lexus 430 SC phone connection?