SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Drivers seat recovered.

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-17, 07:25 PM
Chaditotx
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Drivers seat recovered.

Well, I thought I would take pictures of the install BUT I was in a time crunch and just got off a 12 hour night shift. I got the covers (front two seats, head rests and arm rest) off Amazon of all places. Ordered them in tan per vendor. First set came with tan stitching, so I probably should have specified white. Sent them back and got the correct color stitch. Install is NOT fun. I only did the drivers side. The new covers do not come with seat heaters installed. I transferred the bottom one over (it's a *****) but the top one when I was removing I accidently cut through the wire so no I decided not to hook any of it up. In South Texas? Not a priority but could affect re sale. You need hog ring pliers, hog rings, gorilla forearms and a lot of patience. Some cutting required but holes are spot on and traced in silver marker.
Old 07-14-17, 09:20 PM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

Thanks for sharing your results and experience. Looks very good. Nice work!
Old 07-14-17, 09:24 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

Awesome results! Really wish you have done a DIY. Everyone has talked about this repair and some have done it but no one documents or has made a step by step. If you go forward with the passenger seat, if you could please make a step-by-step tutorial, I'm sure so many on the forum (including myself), would greatly appreciate it. I want to swap my black leather out to refresh my interior, but have no experience and learning from someone's experience in photos is helpful. Nearly all my upgrades have photos and step by step insturctions of the project to help others that attempt. Anyway, if you take on the passenger seat please keep us in mind. Thanks and great work.

PS: Can you supply the vendor, please?
Old 07-15-17, 07:05 AM
Chaditotx
Rookie

SeatsShop was the vendor. If I get around to the passenger I will photograph a bit.
The following users liked this post:
ShawnOk (07-15-17)
Old 07-15-17, 08:22 AM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by ShawnOk
Awesome results! Really wish you have done a DIY. Everyone has talked about this repair and some have done it but no one documents or has made a step by step. If you go forward with the passenger seat, if you could please make a step-by-step tutorial, I'm sure so many on the forum (including myself), would greatly appreciate it. I want to swap my black leather out to refresh my interior, but have no experience and learning from someone's experience in photos is helpful. Nearly all my upgrades have photos and step by step insturctions of the project to help others that attempt. Anyway, if you take on the passenger seat please keep us in mind. Thanks and great work.
+1 on this. Since these are such a reliable car, the interior often wear out with significant life left in the vehicle so more and more people will need to do this.

You have greatly increased the value of your car -- if you do the passenger's side as well! Take pix!
Old 07-18-17, 11:47 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 855 Likes on 688 Posts

Originally Posted by Chaditotx
SeatsShop was the vendor. If I get around to the passenger I will photograph a bit.
they look like a good color match!
i just ordered mine, same color.
sent the seller a message letting him know,
2002 SC430
Tan color, with white stitching
he replied requesting a pic of the interior.
did he ask you for a pic too?

Last edited by Bgw70; 07-20-17 at 03:29 AM.
Old 07-18-17, 09:07 PM
RichardMor
Driver

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

Great job! Looks awesome. Having tried this myself (on a different car), I can imagine it was a pain. Any thoughts on how to address the console cover?
Old 07-20-17, 03:21 PM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

One alternative is to order the seats online and then take it to a local auto upholstery shop and just pay labor to have the seats done. I'd get a quote for labor as well as a quote labor and materials. A friendly local shop may be able to get a wholesale/trade discount on the materials from same vendor and be willing to pass it along.
The following users liked this post:
Chaditotx (07-29-17)
Old 07-29-17, 08:54 PM
Chaditotx
Rookie

Originally Posted by Bgw70
they look like a good color match!
i just ordered mine, same color.
sent the seller a message letting him know,
2002 SC430
Tan color, with white stitching
he replied requesting a pic of the interior.
did he ask you for a pic too?
No, he didn't ask for a picture of mine. After having to re-send the correct stitching he may be a bit more cautious
Old 07-29-17, 08:58 PM
Chaditotx
Rookie

Originally Posted by RichardMor
Great job! Looks awesome. Having tried this myself (on a different car), I can imagine it was a pain. Any thoughts on how to address the console cover?
Console cover was actually pretty easy to do. There are 8 or 9 very small Philips head screws that must be removed from underside of arm rest. Once this is done, you will see several larger Philips screws. Four are for the hinges, and two are for the latch that holds the arm rest down. Once the belly or underside is removed, you will see the arm rest cover is actually stapled on to the plastic frame that you unscrewed everything from. Pull out the staples, and gently peel off the cover. I tried to re-staple mine, and it was a no go. The upholstery shop locally has a pneumatic gun, and they glued and stapled mine on for $20. I was fine with that. Cheaper than buying a pneumatic stapler and staples.
Old 07-29-17, 08:59 PM
Chaditotx
Rookie

Originally Posted by Jabberwock
One alternative is to order the seats online and then take it to a local auto upholstery shop and just pay labor to have the seats done. I'd get a quote for labor as well as a quote labor and materials. A friendly local shop may be able to get a wholesale/trade discount on the materials from same vendor and be willing to pass it along.
The upholstery shop here quoted me $175 a side to install with the kit I bought, but couldn't guarantee the seat heaters would work. I don't blame them. The seat heaters, depending on what day the original covers were made can be stitched really close to the elements.
Old 07-29-17, 09:04 PM
Chaditotx
Rookie

The vendor, on a side note actually sent me an additional two lowers. The reason was that the plastic retention clips were sewn on backwards on the first set they had sent me. I had the originals sewn on correctly at a local upholstery shop, because I already had a seat out and didn't want to wait. If anyone is interested in just two lower seat covers, I will be selling them in the for sale section shortly AS IS at a heck of a bargain, to recover what I paid the upholstery shop to correct the defects on the original covers they sent me. I doubt I will but another SC anytime soon that needs lower bucket covers anytime soon. Again, these come without seat heaters, and they will work out well if just your lowers are torn up.
Old 08-01-17, 07:23 PM
1trkpny
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Thank you for an informative post!
Old 08-02-17, 10:26 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 855 Likes on 688 Posts

Ordered on July 17, shipped Aug 1, so about two weeks to get it on the road. I wonder if the Amazon company (seatsshop) makes them per order or they order from somewhere else?
The leather seat covers will be at my home on Friday!

Last edited by Bgw70; 08-04-17 at 03:58 AM.
Old 08-03-17, 07:58 PM
texsexlex
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Chaditotx
..... they are located in Allen Tx......I may go by their location, in the next month or so. I'm wanting to do something custom and I'm wondering if they do anything along those lines

Quick Reply: Drivers seat recovered.